Chapala.com Webboard

Great cell phone deal

Maybe some people already know about this (and I missed the post here),..... I found out a couple of weeks ago and what a deal.....

I use "Paquete 100" (Telcel) on my cell phone and for 100 pesos (every 30 days) you get :

- unlimited phone calls and SMS in Mexico, to the US and to Canada (to cell phones and landlines)

- unlimited Facebook, Twitter and Facebook Messenger ( Facebook pretty slow......,but I can use it everywhere,... also on the bus....)

- 200 MB

see link : http://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/tarifas-y-opciones#!paquetes-amigo-sin-limite

I have been calling landlines and other cell phones (so far, only here in Mexico) and it works great (all included in the 100 pesos every 30 days).

Rony

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Rony, I have been using this for months, I call my friends in Canada and yak for an hour- I've been surprised that everyone I tell about it isn't aware of it. Telcel started sending me messages re this option about 3 months ago. Before, I was paying 200 pesos a month and my calls NOB were 1.98p/minute and Mexico .98.

1 minute ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, Rony, I have been using this for months, I call my friends in Canada and yak for an hour- I've been surprised that everyone I tell about it isn't aware of it. Telcel started sending me messages re this option about 3 months ago. Before, I was paying 200 pesos a month and my calls NOB were 1.98p/minute and Mexico .98.

Same here.... My friends did not know about this either and therefore I wanted to share it here (too good a deal).  I had been gone for 6 months and this was new for me.

I converted to this plan a couple of months ago.  Recently I was in the states and my 30 days ran dry so I went to the local barrio, found a cel kiosk in a grocery store and paid my 100 pesos, actually it cost me $12 USD for the 100 peso plan, an extra charge for the clerk to do the deal.  Now my tel cel will call and text US>Mexico landlines and cel phones in addition to calling from Mexico>US unlimited.  You just need to add the    011 52    before the area code/number when calling into Mexico.  If you are calling a cel in Mexico, you also have to plug in the    1    ,   so 011 52 1 xxx xxx  xxxx.  

Some of these new rates are just too good to be true.   Yet they are true. The same with Telmex. All of the rates here are getting better and better, much better than I have seen up North. Thank you Rony for the tip.

I think we are benefiting from a price war between IUSACEL and TELCEL . IUSACEL was 4000 p unlimited use for a 2 year plan TELCEL reduced their monthly and added stuff than  IUSACEL reduced the 2 year plan to 3000 P  Telel reduced their monthly charge again.  This is fun but I wonder how long it will last.

11 hours ago, Aquaponicsman said:

johanson, what do you mean "same with Telmex?"

I should have been more specific.  I only meant that although the rates have remained the same we get much more for our money, unlimited national and international calls for free etc on several of the plans. That sure wasn't the case years ago.

I'm wondering how this would work if one uses the TelCel phone in the U.S.  Right now we have a separate AT&T plan and sim chip for when we go up there but it would be great if this wasn't necessary.  The TelCel phone "tunes" to TMobile when I'm up there but charges something like 20 cents per minute for usage.

I went to the main Telcel office in Plaza Laguna the other day and was told that any calls I make using my cell phone with a Telcel SIM card while in the US or Canada will be free.  In other words, it is the same as if I were calling the US or Canada from Mexico - free.

AT/T I paid $2,995 pesos for 2 year prepaid plan, unlimited calls within and to USA / Canada / Mexico and 2gb of data monthly. Works out to 125 pesos a month

2 hours ago, Intercasa said:

AT/T I paid $2,995 pesos for 2 year prepaid plan, unlimited calls within and to USA / Canada / Mexico and 2gb of data monthly. Works out to 125 pesos a month

Wow, talk about a good deal....   So this was an AT&T plan that you bought in Jalisco?  Have you had a chance to use the data IN the US?  What speeds if so.

The AT&T plan is a good one, save for one thing. The Mex cell number they give you, while you can use it here or in the US, friends in the US have to have international phone service activated with their service provider or they can't call you. 

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm wondering how this would work if one uses the TelCel phone in the U.S.  Right now we have a separate AT&T plan and sim chip for when we go up there but it would be great if this wasn't necessary.  The TelCel phone "tunes" to TMobile when I'm up there but charges something like 20 cents per minute for usage.

I assume it works the same as the IUSACEL unlimited plan (owned by AT&T), call between and from Mexico, USA, and Canada unlimited and works out to $166 pesos a month, period.  When using it in the US, calls to Mexico are still local calls while calls to other US numbers are still international but free for you.  Receiving calls from other US numbers remains along distance international calling for those who are calling you from the USA.  You can dump your US based AT&T sim to call while in the US with these Mexico plans as long as you don't mind that USA originating calls to you are paying international rates, regardless of which of the 3 countries you (your phone) is at.  I've been delighted with my service.  It looks like TelCel is a better deal now though.  

Got here in Chapala

50 minutes ago, CBGUY said:

Using this "Sin Limites" plan...when you're in the States, how do you dial a local call in the same area that you are? Is it like your phone is in Mexico and you dial 001-?

YES.

1 hour ago, Intercasa said:

Got here in Chapala

Where is AT&T in Chapala?  Do you have a phone number for them?  You don't mean Alejandro at the IUSACEL (owned by AT&T) store in Chapala do you?

Thanks Spencer.

Pedro - the new AT&T store is opposite Farmacia Guadalajara on Hidalgo., heading out of Chapala for Ajijic.  I understand the manager's name is Damien and he really understands his stuff but I've not been there myself.

1 minute ago, bournemouth said:

Pedro - the new AT&T store is opposite Farmacia Guadalajara on Hidalgo., heading out of Chapala for Ajijic.  I understand the manager's name is Damien and he really understands his stuff but I've not been there myself.

Thank you!

Yes there, was sick of being ripped off by Movistar. 

I am VERY confused by all this information. I will be going up to the states in June. Usually what I do is buy an ATT sim card there to use for the duration of my stay. However, I would be much more pleased with using a Telcel deal such as Rony suggested. However, I have several questions; if anyone can answer them simply and directly, I would be VERY pleased. 

Does the Paquete 100 deal require you to sign a contract? If not, how exactly does one go about getting the deal?

Does the Paquete 100 deal require you to get a new sim card?

Does the Paquete 100 deal allow you to make calls to Mexico as well as the U.S. and Canada when you are in the U.S?

How do you renew or recharge your phone with this Paquete 100 deal if you are in the U.S?

is there a Paquete 200 deal? If so, how exactly do you get that deal?

Again, anyone who can answer the questions above simply and directly I will be very grateful to. 

Archived