Chapala.com Webboard

OATMEAL A KILLER NOW?

gringal

I just read an article in the online news that said Quaker Oats isn't "100% natural" as claimed, but is polluted by a cancer causing herbicide used after harvesting the oats. They are being sued over this.  Since I eat the old fashioned oats nearly every morning, this was not good news.

Question:  is there a better brand of oats available locally?  Where?

This doesn't make any sense.  Why would they use an herbicide after harvest?  I can understand something to keep vermin from eating the oats in storage but never an herbicide.  Using an herbicide is common on many crops during the growing season.  In fact, almost all crops except those labeled organic.

Gringal--you'd be surprised at the chemicals that are used in Mexico that have been banned in the US.

3 hours ago, Yo1 said:

This doesn't make any sense.  Why would they use an herbicide after harvest?  I can understand something to keep vermin from eating the oats in storage but never an herbicide.  Using an herbicide is common on many crops during the growing season.  In fact, almost all crops except those labeled organic.

Gringal--you'd be surprised at the chemicals that are used in Mexico that have been banned in the US.

I just spent some quality time looking for the original article I read on the Yahoo news feed this morning.....without success, and I may have used the wrong term to describe the carcinogenic item which is used after harvest in the production of Quaker Oats oatmeal.  However,  they have been sued over the "all natural" labeling because of the unnatural and dangerous "stuff" that's in their product.  In fact, there seems to be a plethora of lawsuits over the same issue of labeling, as I discovered in my search.

Yes, we would probably all be horrified about what's going into and onto our food in the U.S. and Mexico.

Defensive eating is hard when the labels are misleading and/or incomplete.

The UK's daily mail is a trash rag, not unlike the now defunct National Enquirer or Allo Police. Just looking at the daily's website with all the babes sort of underlines it, if I were a guy reading that rag I'd sue for equal opportunity!. I'd wait for a more respectable feed to pick up and corroborate the story before being overly alarmed.

1 hour ago, SunshineyDay said:

Come on  folks. In this day and age there ain't nothing natural!!! jaja Much to do about nothing!

Actually organic and products made without GMO grains come a lot closer to being healthy. Which is why the big corporations are fighting labeling with everything they've got. Some of us do care.

2 hours ago, moderator-2 said:
2 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

.....Not exactly a "trash" source of information.  Maybe we really don't want to hear this kind of news, but there it is.  Now, for my daily dose of junk food: Quaker Oats

The Times article says they are being sued because they claim to be "100% natural", and while the level of glyphosate is well below EPA regs, the implication is there should be no chemicals at all, no matter at which point the chemical was introduced to the grain.

Just my take,you're more likely to get killed crossing the street or getting hit by lightning than being harmed by eating "killer oatmeal".

Much ado about nothing.

There is nothing in the article even suggesting your oatmeal is going to kill you. That is not even what the lawsuit is about. Even the lawyers filing the suit said the trace amounts of the chemical are far below legal limits. It is the use of the word "natural" on the label that they object to. Anyone who believes that use of the word "natural" is anything more than a marketing ploy is gullible at best and sadly ignorant at worst.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/magazine/why-natural-doesnt-mean-anything-anymore.html?action=click&contentCollection=Business%20Day&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article/&_r=0

Just another example of corporate bald faced lying.  I wasn't really serious in my thread title:  of course your oatmeal won't kill you: too many other opportunities to croak.  It's just such a classic example of another thing that was supposed to be pure and healthy. :P

Archived