Chapala.com Webboard

Question about turning around car permit at McAllen

Mainecoons

Here's the question:  I have two young missionary friends that need to re-up tourist permits and a car permit.  They want to go to McAllen (where the permits were issued) because they also want to do some shopping.

They would cross on Sunday May 15, spend a couple days in McAllen, and then return via Pharr.  They are going to make the run both ways in one day each.  Long days but all daylight using my routes.

The question is, can they turn in the car permit and tourist visas at McAllen and then go in immediately and get new ones or will it be necessary to (say) return the day before leaving to get them.  As they want to go out via Pharr, it can be difficult to get visas and car permit there really early.  In the past when we had the same need, we would go over the day before to get those and then we could just drive straight through at the crack of dawn the next day.

I'm wondering if anyone has done the immediate turnaround on permits.

Thanks.

Yes, at Columbia.  Left one day and cancelled permit.  When on to San Antonio to do some shopping,  Came back the next day and got a new one.

Maincoons, when we first moved here a year ago, we had no problem getting the car permit and visas at Pharr at 6:00 a.m.  In fact, we were the only ones there, so it was pretty efficient and quick.  What troubles have you had at Pharr before early in the morning?

Client / friend at Colombia did both FMM and car and never left Mexico. Turned in old and got new. This was 10 days ago. FYI do not open until 8 am.

Buen Fin

Sonia

Thanks.  It occurred to me they could take their car permit receipt inside after having the sticker pulled and just get a new one on the spot.  Since they are staying just across the line it wouldn't matter they are in McAllen for a couple of days to pick some stuff up.

2 hours ago, congodog said:

Maincoons, when we first moved here a year ago, we had no problem getting the car permit and visas at Pharr at 6:00 a.m.  In fact, we were the only ones there, so it was pretty efficient and quick.  What troubles have you had at Pharr before early in the morning?

Just trying to save time on the return trip.  If the new stuff could be gotten same time the old was turned in, that would definitely save time.

We've found Pharr to be a bit slow and people aren't always there when they are supposed to be.  Doesn't matter if you already have your paperwork or you are Permanentes with Mexican plates like we are.  These guys will need new tourist visas and a new car permit.

Yes, I have tried to cross at Pharr at 6AM but had to wait until 7:30 AM for the INM guy to show up!!!

3 hours ago, Ezzie said:

Yes, I have tried to cross at Pharr at 6AM but had to wait until 7:30 AM for the INM guy to show up!!!

Wow, OK, I guess we must have just gotten lucky...  Good to know for next time though...

Archived