Chapala.com Webboard

Please, please don't breed.  A breeder must really know what they are doing or your aren't doing the poodle breed any favors.  Any genetic problems with poodles in general?  Does your dog have any genetic or behavioral problems that you don't want passed on? 

SOOOO many pups in Mexico and so few homes! I am searching for a rescue pug. I was on the board of Pug Rescue in Houston for 20 years before I came to Mexico and would dearly LOVE to find a rescue! She would be my 20th, because in Houston I took at least four of the old ladies at a time because no one adopts them. I always had at least four at a time. Now I can have only one at a time, and since the devastating loss of SweetPea last month, I have run into roadblock after roadblock in trying to get a Texas rescue to Mexico. I am physically unable to make the drive there and back. If anyone has a suggestion, I would welcome it so much!

What are you going to do with the litter of 6 to 8 pups...sell or adopt them out?  You will be extending the time in local shelters of already unadopted dogs and or end up dropping some of your litter at these shelters.  

Plenty of dogs here available for adoption.  While you may think your dog is precious and unique and must be bred, it is a selfish idea.  

There are always homeless poodles, bishon frieze and the like looking for homes, why add to them. I have personally seen Mexicans buy Poodle pups. and their like as toys for their children. When the kids get tired of tossing them around, etc., the pups are abandoned. Is this what you would like to happen? Do you want to contribute to the bad breeding which is done by Amateurs, which at times results in deformed and sickly pups? Better to get her spayed instead of using her to make money.

First, there is no such thing as a "tiny toy poodle". Poodles come in Toy, Miniature ans Standard. Toy poodles weigh 6 - 9 pounds. Anything smaller is called a runt. The breed club strongly recommends against breeding any dog smaller due to frequent whelping problems - in blunt terms, the dog is too small to breed and mom and/or puppies are too likely to die. Spay the dog and love her and keep her as a special pet. Oh, and the term is purebred - all dogs are full of blood.

On 4/30/2016 at 6:04 AM, bwhite1948 said:

What are you going to do with the litter of 6 to 8 pups...sell or adopt them out?  You will be extending the time in local shelters of already unadopted dogs and or end up dropping some of your litter at these shelters.  

Plenty of dogs here available for adoption.  While you may think your dog is precious and unique and must be bred, it is a selfish idea.  

A 4 lb dog is not going to have 6 or 8 pups.

We bred and showed Cairn terriers for 20 years. We bred for our show prospects. Do you know the proper way to supervise a breeding? Do you know what to do if something goes wrong during the whelping? A four pound dog may only have one or two pups and with difficulty. Has she been vet checked to see if she is breedable. Having pups will subject her to dangers of future cancers. Spaying protects from these. Do you know how to screen buyers for laboratory buyers or fighting dog bait buyers? Over the years, we found our rescues more loving and faithful then our dogs bred for quality and temperament. It is more complicated then you think!

1 hour ago, hensley said:

A 4 lb dog is not going to have 6 or 8 pups.

So, say it only has, that is two more to add to all the ones here already. That is two who will not get adopted and another two who will never make it to a shelter due to overcrowding. To me, this is totally irresponsible.

John - One reason some of us are jumping on you is because we volunteer at the Dog Ranch. We have a boatload of (now) 4 month old mostly black puppies (2 separate litters) who were dumped of near the Ranch a little over a month ago. They are not tiny poodle-like dogs, they are purebred Mexican Street Dogs, black variety. That means they will be medium sized slender black dogs just like a hundred others. And we are trying like the devil to find them homes while they are still cute.

Meanwhile you are trying to bread an undersized dog who really shouldn't be bred at all.                                        

http://terriblyterrier.com/teacup-dogs/

I have heard that Mexicans often keep the pregnant bitches on a starvation diet in order to have small pups. Inexperienced "breeders" often make huge errors picking mates, often increasing the odds of passing on the bad genes and ending up with sickly pups. The health of the mother and pups is of no consequence to many of them.

John be patient with us. As MtnMoma said many of us are volunteers and some of us see terrible things. It changes how we feel and act sometimes. So if some of us appear rude to you be patient and understand our world. We see your world probably in a non accurate way I admit but we feel what we feel from our experiences.  It actually is a pretty good string and brings up many of the arguments against breeding dogs. Listen consider and decide.

Thanks for listening.

Archived