Chapala.com Webboard

Canela's Cafe (Ajijic)

PORTIMOM

Big surprise, in a small package... scrumptious!!!

A small little cafe, with a big surprise!  Menu below & photos of our breakfast (This review is for breakfast, though they do have a lunch menu also)  and what a surprise the Poblano Gravy which not only comes with the biscuits and gravy, but also comes with a biscuit if you order... more on that below.

This petite little place, freshly opened, has excellent breakfast.

We had 1) Waffles $45  2) Crepes $70 3) Biscuits with jams and Poblano Gravy, two different full bodied homemade marmalades (Orange and Berry) and butter.  These are not your average jams!  The poblano gravy is outstanding as well. 

All was wonderful, as the photos imply, and the biscuits are sinful and fluffy, fresh from the oven.

They are made fresh, so let them know if you want to time those biscuits to arrive with your breakfast. If so be patient they are well worth the wait.  We had our waffles and crepes first, and devoured the biscuits last.

(Many photos below)

One table inside, one right outside the door and another under the awning further away from the street.

This is the same location that Skinny Minnies had and went out of business, and is a short walk down from and on the same side as Mia's consignment boutique.  The address is Oriente Hw#1-D  in the little plaza of shops.  Phone number is 331-629-0067

It's a little place with a big surprise for those lucky enough to sample it.  

The owner Nikki and Robert who are the chefs, wanted to know if we had suggestions.  They are not only wonderful chefs, but very attentive and appreciative of their customers. 

(photos below of menu and our breakfast)

cafe1.png

cafe2.png

cafe3.jpg

cafe4.jpg

cafe5.jpg

24 minutes ago, artsnob said:

What are their hours, and are they closed any days, I will try tomorrow, and put review here..

Ah, that was the one thing I did not note!  

I also went and especially liked their biscuits with gravy and jams.

The waffles were really good :) I had brought my own Canadian maple syrup even though it didn't need anything extra; I'm just crazy over syrup. 

On 5/1/2016 at 9:44 PM, lobita said:

Does anyone know whether the 'poblano gravy' is vegetarian or has a meat base?

It is meat based.  She cooks it up adding fresh ground pork.  Not a lot, but certainly not vegetarian.  Delicious!   Unlike any of the other "Gravy" I have ever had... not the white starchy type.. photo is below, it is in the bowl with the creamy green mixture, next to the biscuits.  

On 4/30/2016 at 2:19 PM, maw7815 said:

The Memphis omelette sounds interesting made with BBQ brisket and red onions!

Parking is always a problem but will try it soon.

maw

BTW Since the optical store left, there is plenty of parking right in that little parking lot, which this cafe is a tenant of.

On 5/2/2016 at 7:41 AM, cacao y música said:

It is meat based.  She cooks it up adding fresh ground pork.  Not a lot, but certainly not vegetarian.  Delicious!   Unlike any of the other "Gravy" I have ever had... not the white starchy type.. photo is below, it is in the bowl with the creamy green mixture, next to the biscuits.  

We use pork sausage that me make ourselves in house, we also decided to give a little twist to our gravy by incorporating some roasted Polano peppers, which doesn't make the the gravy spicy at all, it gives it a smoky flavor. :)

On 5/2/2016 at 11:40 AM, cacao y música said:

BTW Since the optical store left, there is plenty of parking right in that little parking lot, which this cafe is a tenant of.

We have fix that problem, we have installed chains in our parking lot to make sure is available for customers only. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This really is a wonderful little cafe.  A friend and I had the Memphis omelette which we enjoyed very, very much.  The BBQ sauce was the best I've ever tasted and the brisket absolutely marvelous.  The owner/chefs are such a nice, young couple, too, who focus on giving the best service and food to be had.  I think they will soon need to find a bigger location!  All the best to them and their new endeavor.  We're looking forward to returning when we get back in the area this November.

Archived