Chapala.com Webboard

Extraction fee

HASPER

The government owns all resources below ground, as I understand it. That includes water, even though you may have drilled the well on your own land and paid for the drilling and installed the pump, etc. You must still pay to remove (extract) the water from the ground.  I do not know how the amount is calculated, but that is the general idea.

In my fraccionamiento the guys from Conagua come and check the meter readings on our two wells monthly so they will know how much to bill us.

CONAGUA sets the "extraction tax" annually and determines the rate that must be paid.  CONAGUA also maintains the national registry of water wells and the concessions for extraction.  The concessions are renewed every 10 years.  There are well over 100 different classifications for water takers.  The "Municipal" rate (which Chapala pays) is 11 centavos per cu. meter for 2016.  The Municipality collects this extraction tax from metered consumers and then submits payments to CONAGUA on a quarterly basis.  Private well systems are taxed at a higher rate.  I believe fraccs. with their own wells are paying around 2.6 pesos/cu, mtr. for 2016.

Archived