Chapala.com Webboard

Why it's time for the U.S. to pull the plug on the Mexican government.

Jim Bowie

I wonder how many people looking to re locate to Mexico, figure this observation and facts, into their decision to move here.

I would also suggest that any folks having problems with resolution in cases of robbery or home invasion etc., also experience similar collusion and disinterest expressed by officials and "the system"

But I guess unless you have been a victim, who else cares a damn

Isn't it the same thing as choosing to live in the shadow of a volcano? It's an acceptable risk until the volcano erupts on you.

I do agree there is a lot to be said about choosing to live where there is functional rule of law. Choosing to live here was always a greater risk but one that was perhaps made acceptable by the cheaper cost of living. Now that that advantage is quickly disappearing I wonder if more and more will decide the risk is too great?

"Pull the plug" on Mexico ??  Serious?

The world today would be a far better place today if Americans would mind their own business rather than aggress upon other countries with their arrogance.   Read for the day   >>>  "The Quiet American" ,  Graham Greene.  

Thanks for the link. People might want to note who wrote the article before commenting.

It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not people from the USA (or other countries) will continue to move here. And who cares about that, one way or the other? I care about Mexico. The ariticle is about Mexico. And complicit US Foreign Policy.

Yes the article is about Mexico and I agree with most of the content, BUT I do not agree with the headline.  The headline implies that America can manipulate or control Mexico.  They need to mind their own business, they have their own problems to take care of.  

EDIT: Or as my Mexican friends have often times said, "Tenemos que pagar por los pecados de los norteamericanos." in reference to drug consumption.

46 minutes ago, Kiko said:

"Pull the plug" on Mexico ??  Serious?

The world today would be a far better place today if Americans would mind their own business rather than aggress upon other countries with their arrogance.   Read for the day   >>>  "The Quiet American" ,  Graham Greene.  

Yes that's a good read,most of Greene's books  are,but so is "The Ugly American" but it has a different take on things.

7 minutes ago, Kiko said:

7 minutes ago, Kiko said:

EDIT: Or as my Mexican friends have often times said, "Tenemos que pagar por los pecados de los norteamericanos." in reference to drug consumption.

Really?

Que sufridos!

If they want to make make money oft a American vices it's on them and they can pay they will pay the price for their participation.

De acuerdo.  Like, "All the Kings Men", Robert Penn Warren, a quote something like .....Men are conceived in sin from the stink of the diaper to the stench of the shroud.  I'm too lazy to google up the exact quote, but something like that.  

Follow the money.  The US forwards billions of dollars to countries of the world to promote the US political agenda.  Much of that money is intercepted before it reaches those that the funds were intended for.  That is understood on both sides.  If the recipient country does not comply with US political interests, then the US can always "carpet bomb" the recipients because the "regime" is  oppressing their people.  Been that way since 1960.  

12 minutes ago, Kiko said:

Follow the money.  The US forwards billions of dollars to countries of the world to promote the US political agenda.  Much of that money is intercepted before it reaches those that the funds were intended for.  That is understood on both sides.  If the recipient country does not comply with US political interests, then the US can always "carpet bomb" the recipients because the "regime" is  oppressing their people.  Been that way since 1960.  

"Carpet bomb",gosh I sure hope they don't carpet bomb Guadalajara!

You wouldn't be Canadian by any chance?

I was referencing the comments by Ted Cruz, US Presidential candidate to "carpet bomb until the sand glows",  The bottom line of this thread for me is simply that Mexico has its problems and it is their responsibility to deal with those problems in an honest and transparent process.  The US has no business meddling in Mexican affairs.  Americans like to talk big about human rights,  but they ignore their own.  

13 hours ago, Kiko said:

The bottom line of this thread for me is simply that Mexico has its problems and it is their responsibility to deal with those problems in an honest and transparent process.  The US has no business meddling in Mexican affairs.  

Don't hold your breath waiting for Mexico to deal with those problems in an honest and transparent process.

You know who has profited the most from the drug trade?Mexican government officials from the top to the bottom,selling "plazas" accepting bribes,etc.

Mexico has its own drug problems, there's a large domestic market for them.

And you're right,the US has no business meddling in Mexican affairs,it has a truly dismal record meddling in Latin American countries and elsewhere.

I saw it first hand living in Central America in the 70s and 80s.

Btw,the main character in the (The Ugly American) which was based on real life people was a very sympathetic intelligent engineer in South East Asia,it should be required reading for US officials working abroad.

Guest bennie2

in a few years we will be part of the north american union. (similar to the europeon union). since NAFTA, this is the direction things are heading. drug trade is just a business, many banks & corps are involved. mex & US are close friends. if those tunnels are blocked, the biz suffers. 

On 4/29/2016 at 9:38 AM, Jim Bowie said:

Before we think about "pulling the plug" on another country, we might consider the corruption closer to home that keeps crawling out of the woodwork and shut our mouths.

Frankly, I'd like the Mexicans to put a little space between themselves and the U.S. and stop being pushed around so much.  But that also requires reducing the dependency on everything from drug money to military and aid to undocumented immigration.  Being more independent also means being less dependent on the U.S. for a lot of things.

For example, it also means being more responsible for stopping on Mexico's side of the border the illegal trafficking in both people, guns and drugs.  And not expecting the U.S. to have an open border and allow Mexicans to involve themselves in U.S. politics when Mexico has quite different rules on their own soil.  

If you doubt this, round up some gringos and U.S. flags and go attack the police in GDL and see what that gets you.  If you are lucky, it will just be a quick one way trip to the border.  As it should be.

For certain, rioting and waving Mexican flags and attempting to block free speech and the right to peacefully gather by American citizens is not going to win friends and influence people.  It is giving some politicians exactly what they want.  This is not very smart.

Excellent post cbviajero, I agree completely.  I've seen figures that indicate the drug money is as big as the money made from legal exports.  Numbers that big can't help but feed the governmental corruption problem here.

What happened to those kids is a great human tragedy.  Some heads should have already rolled for this.  Instead, a cover up.

The thread leads off with one columnist's opinion on a horrible event. Yes, the title is dumb, but editors have a habit of sticking on a sensational headings. In fact, this horrendous story is receiving international news coverage, as it deserves to have. It's an appalling and very fresh example the Mexican government's corruption and abuse of power. I don't know how some posters can jump from the facts of this tragic event to criticize how the US meddles in Mexican affairs. This story stands alone for what it is and what it reveals. The committee of five lawyers and human rights experts that compiled the report, it is worth noting, are from Chile, Colombia, Guatemala and Spain.

Lexy

5 minutes ago, Lexy said:

The thread leads off with one columnist's opinion on a horrible event. Yes, the title is dumb, but editors have a habit of sticking on a sensational headings. In fact, this horrendous story is receiving international news coverage, as it deserves to have. It's an appalling and very fresh example the Mexican government's corruption and abuse of power. I don't know how some posters can jump from the facts of this tragic event to criticize how the US meddles in Mexican affairs. This story stands alone for what it is and what it reveals. The committee of five lawyers and human rights experts that compiled the report, it is worth noting, are from Chile, Colombia, Guatemala and Spain.

Lexy

No question about it; this was a terrible tragedy which did not warrant a cover up.  Looks like it's certainly "out there" now.

My issue is that the O.P. is saying that somehow, the U.S. should be "pulling the plug" on another country.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

My issue is that the O.P. is saying that somehow, the U.S. should be "pulling the plug" on another country.

The headline of the newspaper article, and the topic of this thread, was taken directly from the piece itself. The writer's summation is quoted below. If you have an issue, it's with the author.

"It is time for the American people and its government to open their eyes to the fact that Mexico is not a functioning democracy but an authoritarian enclave.

The United States should pull the plug on a regime that has turned its back on its people. Instead, it should extend a helping hand to Mexico’s increasing active community of human rights defenders, investigative journalists and community activists struggling in the trenches to bring peace and justice to this embattled nation."

23 minutes ago, Travis said:

The headline of the newspaper article, and the topic of this thread, was taken directly from the piece itself. The writer's summation is quoted below. If you have an issue, it's with the author.

"It is time for the American people and its government to open their eyes to the fact that Mexico is not a functioning democracy but an authoritarian enclave.

The United States should pull the plug on a regime that has turned its back on its people. Instead, it should extend a helping hand to Mexico’s increasing active community of human rights defenders, investigative journalists and community activists struggling in the trenches to bring peace and justice to this embattled nation."

Then, I have an issue with the author's logic.  How, exactly, is this "helping hand" supposed to work?  Peaceful persuasion?  Force? .

Archived