Chapala.com Webboard

Septic Diagnosis

A true septic system is rare at Lakeside; one with an actual septic tank and appropriately sized leach field in a soil that will actually accommodate the treated effluent.

It is more likely that you have a cesspool; a simple block-lined pit with no treatment divisions and no additional leach field. Few properties here are even large enough for a suitable leach field. As a result, the sewage and its contents eventually plug up the primitive system and even the surrounding soil. The first indication is wet ground, odor, etc.; followed by slow drainage or even back-up of sewage into the house.

Buying, or renting, a home with such a system is inadvisable. None of them would be legal in the USA and most are probably not even up to today‘s Mexican requirements. If there is municipal sewage available in your street, the solution would be to connect to it, as required.  If not, you may have to live with constant pumping and water conservation measures in your home.

20 minutes ago, SunshineyDay said:

Who lakeside would be good at checking out a septic problem?  Pumping seems to be all that is done here?

I hope you get an answer to this as I'd like to know for future reference in case we need it.  

I've had various problems with 2 septic systems, and they all have been solved. Sometimes:the system gets out of balance, will not break down effluents. Sometimes, there is a blockage--pumping and, worse case, digging up where the blockage occurs, will solve the problem. A few notes: you should not be getting a smell and/or overflow--that indicates the system is out of balance or blocked. This type of system involves millions of little microbes breaking down the, er, solid waste. If you block the system (like, someone flushes a paper towel or a diaper) or you use a lot of bleach and other stuff that destroys the good bacteria, you will get a problem.

Jose Martinez, 765-3297 or 333-a741282. Not the cheapest, but does it right the first time. Can get a truck to pump the system and start you fresh.

2 minutes ago, SunshineyDay said:

RV any people you would call to check out a problem here lakeside?

Tia

If José can not fix your problem...........

I would call a realtor.... :(

Forgot to say...you can get bags of enzymes to flush down your system to restore the good bacteria that eat the..uh...solid waste. Available at hdwe stores. As for the no-see-'ems---any standing water can cause insects. Fountains with standing water (not run frequently with a chlorine tablet) are often a problem. Goldfish ponds, failed septic systems, birdbaths. The small insects (no see 'ems) seem to be a problem in certain areas of town, especially low-lying places near the Lake. Impossible to inspect every neighbor--just be careful of buying a place where you see a lot of them--or see low-lying standing water. Many people are happy living with gnats--ceiling fans on patios help move them. Me, I'm not comfortable with any bugs except butterflies and dragonflies, but that's just me!

That is true. The additives and enzymes are virtually useless. Only pumping and cleaning out the grease and scum will have any beneficial effect.  Once done, the homeowner should strictly avoid using bleach, muriatic acid or any other such products in sinks, showers, tubs, toilets, etc.  They will kill the natural bacteria in the system. It is also a good idea to avoid letting any grease down the kitchen sink, and to not use a garbage disposal if you have a septic system.

20 hours ago, Osoprehistorico said:

There is a place adjacent to Vet. Pepe who advertises such assistance.  Pepe is in Riberas next to Blue Cross cement.

That would be Miguel of ElectroDomestico.  I have not used him for septic system but did have him clean out aljibe several years ago.  I have also used him for appliance repair.  My experiences with him have been very positive.  He is very honest and will not accept payment until he is sure the work is done correctly, like the appliance working as it should.

On 2016-04-29 at 11:56 AM, RVGRINGO said:

That is true. The additives and enzymes are virtually useless. Only pumping and cleaning out the grease and scum will have any beneficial effect.  Once done, the homeowner should strictly avoid using bleach, muriatic acid or any other such products in sinks, showers, tubs, toilets, etc.  They will kill the natural bacteria in the system. It is also a good idea to avoid letting any grease down the kitchen sink, and to not use a garbage disposal if you have a septic system.

Depends a bit on what type of septic system you have and whether your grey water also goes into the septic. I have a pre-digester tank, which then goes into the septic tank/leach field. 2 toilets and 1 shower go into the system- all the other grey water- sinks, 1 shower, washing machine, are piped to different areas of the garden. The less water that goes into a septic system the better it will work. My plumber (a gringo) told me that small amounts of muriatic acid or bleach really won't create a problem. Twice or 3 times a year I take muriatic acid to the mineral build-up in the toilets and in the 8 years since my place was built, I've never had any problems with the septic or needed to get it pumped.

Mudgirl,

You have a unique and well designed system, approaching tertiary treatment, which can handle what you introduce.  The more typical system, particularly in older homes, is a simple cesspool, which should not be asked to handle anything that the owners have not eaten and digested; absolutely nothing more than that. Worse yet, many of those primitive systems are located on small lots with a seasonal water table right at ground level, offering insufficient drainage and filtration; certainly no treatment by the soil.

Remember: It all runs downhill. If there is no hill, it just stays with you.

Yes, RV, I do understand that many places have funky systems, that's why I described my system rather than just saying that muriatic acid wouldn't be a problem :-) Oh, and the system I have also means I can flush toilet paper without problems. I do, however, keep it to a minimum so as not to overload the system- #, plus nose-blowing, etc. paper goes in the basket, #2, flush it all.

Archived