Chapala.com Webboard

On the way to... Jocotepec /Lakefront Sat/Sun Buffet locations?

cacao y música

Glancing around and beyond Ajijic for Sunday Buffet for breakfast/brunch type-a-dining.

Couldn't help notice on the way to Jocotopec, where all the lakefront restaurants are on

the left... There are quite a few signs, sporting:

Buffet Mexicano, Sabado, Domingo Y Dias Festivos 

Yet, I never see those mentioned in the topics here.  

Has anyone been to any of these?

Reviewers are welcome to share positive/negative via PM.

What are they like, and which have an enticing buffet?

Not a problem if only Spanish is spoken, some in our group are Mexican.

Hoping to have this info in time for May 8th... Mother's Day!

IMG_2069.JPG

I know some people who used to enjoy going to the one at Bambu when they had a group of visitors. One of them is now dead, but I don't think the food played a role in that.

(That was a joke, everyone. Relax. Just a joke. :))

I've never been to any of the brunch buffets, but the other times I've been to any of those restaurants, it always seems the emphasis is on the overall experience, not the food. It'll probably be fun on Mother's Day, if not the greatest meal you'll ever have. I'm sure they'll be pulling out all the stops for El Día de la Madre!

After twenty years, have  never ever found one of these restaurants consistent enough to return.  Just wait until the one restaurant (Mariscos El Carnal) with numerous locations in GDL and also in this same restaurant strip just to the east of San Juan Cosala opens their long advertised restaurant in San Antonio (just to the west of Sunrise Restaurant on the south side of the Carretera).  If you think that browsing the Chapala.com website's "La Cocina" section has provided "good reading".....you haven't seen anything yet!  You'll be reading about lousy food, aggressive waiters (probably on commission), totally ridiculous pricing and..........a really bad dining experience.  Because of the increased competition along "restaurant row" in the area just to this side of San Juan Cosala there is no longer a restaurant worth a visit!   Guadalajara families with children are attracted by the carnival like appearance and atmosphere and................. it's likely that "taste, quality and value" are not all that important.  Something else to think about...........Have you ever, anywhere in the world,  been tempted to actually stop at a restaurant as a result of some desperate individual, jumping up and down, and waving a menu at you on the highway as you pass?     If so, why?

40 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Something else to think about...........Have you ever, anywhere in the world,  been tempted to actually stop at a restaurant as a result of some desperate individual, jumping up and down, and waving a menu at you on the highway as you pass?

Yes. 

Sometimes it turns out to be fun.

On 4/27/2016 at 9:40 PM, Carnivore said:

After twenty years, have  never ever found one of these restaurants consistent enough to return.  Just wait until the one restaurant (Mariscos El Carnal) with numerous locations in GDL and also in this same restaurant strip just to the east of San Juan Cosala opens their long advertised restaurant in San Antonio (just to the west of Sunrise Restaurant on the south side of the Carretera).  If you think that browsing the Chapala.com website's "La Cocina" section has provided "good reading".....you haven't seen anything yet!  You'll be reading about lousy food, aggressive waiters (probably on commission), totally ridiculous pricing and..........a really bad dining experience.  Because of the increased competition along "restaurant row" in the area just to this side of San Juan Cosala there is no longer a restaurant worth a visit!   Guadalajara families with children are attracted by the carnival like appearance and atmosphere and................. it's likely that "taste, quality and value" are not all that important.  Something else to think about...........Have you ever, anywhere in the world,  been tempted to actually stop at a restaurant as a result of some desperate individual, jumping up and down, and waving a menu at you on the highway as you pass?     If so, why?

So why, every weekend, do "1000's" of visitors from Guad continue to patronize them.....Maybe they do not have the demanding standards of the local Gringo community??

If you lived in Guad, especially at this time of year, but anytime..........what would you want to do on a weekend morning; take the family to a local breakfast place or take a drive over the mountain and to a restaurant right on the lake where they have a nice buffet, and everyone could grok on the scenery and have a fine time?

I think the quality of the food is not the major consideration.:rolleyes:

Try it.  Then you'll know first hand.  We found it high priced for the value received.

Archived