Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle Smog Inspection

We have a U.S. registered vehicle and have renewed the registration for another year.  However, it is not clear to me if Mexico requires a smog inspection for foreign registered vehicles.  The state in which it is registered does not require it unless the car comes back into the U.S., then we have 3 days to get it inspected.  We have no plans to return to the U.S. anytime soon.  Anybody know if we need to have it smog inspected for Mexican purposes?  (There is not a separate smog inspection sticker for our state.  However it cannot be registered without a smog inspection UNLESS it is not in the U.S.)

Technically law does require it as law says that vehicles in Jalisco for more than 6 months must follow rules. 

You do not need a smog test in Mexico for US plated cars, I suggest you get South Dakota plates, you do not need to be a resident of South Dakota, you only need a US social security number and BEST of all South Dakota does not require a smog test..for more info call any DMV of South Dakota and The treasurer of any county, the treasurer is the one that issues plates and Title

1 hour ago, bontepar said:

You do not need a smog test in Mexico for US plated cars, I suggest you get South Dakota plates, you do not need to be a resident of South Dakota, you only need a US social security number and BEST of all South Dakota does not require a smog test..for more info call any DMV of South Dakota and The treasurer of any county, the treasurer is the one that issues plates and Title

Well...see Spencer's comment above. I would accept his advice as he is a lawyer and therefore knows the rules. And I know of people with a foreign plated vehicle who have been stopped by the traffic police in Guadalajara and questioned as to why they do not have the sticker.  So while Spencer says "technically" I am not sure I would want to debate this with a traffic cop if stopped for some other apparent infraction.

I would be happy to debate it with a traffic policeman.  How could he prove I have been here more than 6 months? If he wants to issue the ticket fine. That ticket requires the vehicle to go for a smog check in a set period of time. What if I don't go to the smog station? Foreign plates. Foreign DL. Imposible to enforce and they know it.

I asked more than 10 Mexican family members who live in GDL none of them has ever been to a smog check. In fact 2 had never heard of it. 1 has 10 trucks in his factory. Never.  My wife who worked in Transito for 20 years never had a check. 

I would bet that the percentage of vehicles in Jalisco that have a current smog is minimal.

Wow MostlyLost-- you really have the answers, don't you?  Bet you're the kind that thinks recycling is ridiculous too... or maybe that only others should have to do it?

This week's GR states 70% of metro-area vehicles in Jalisco do not have stickers. That's one of the reasons Guad is now one of, if not THE most polluted place in the entire country.  And if you were up-to-date on Mexican newscasts and newspapers, (...having all that Mexican family.....) I suspect you already know cracking down on emissions is one of the ways they are hoping to get this huge pollution problem under control. Because one of the alternatives would be using the DF system of restricting days each week  when you cannot drive your car (based on license plate last number) and Guad REALLY does not want to see that happen.

For same reason, crackdown on many vehicles that were "exempt" (for really $%&/()ic reasons) that are now all required to be tested/checked.  As well, they're looking at relocating brick-making factories in Tlaquepaque etc. (HUGE polluters) to places further from the metro area.

Only drive out here? Probably not part of the problem YET.  Drive to Guad? --  you are contributing every time if your vehicle is not up to standard.  (Yes, I have a sticker and another one coming due in May.)

And just because people have not complied in the past (and many continue to to so) doesn't make it "right"!

3 minutes ago, bontepar said:

I do not think Spencer is a pollution or transit Lawyer. and he does not know what he is talking about

Foreign Cars Legally in Mexico with a VALID temporary permit DO NOT NEED A POLLUTION TEST...PERIOD

Respectfully, it is you who do not know the law on this.  The six month's standard applies to all cars in Jalisco.  The fact they haven't done much about it doesn't mean anything as non enforcement of laws is pretty much SOP here.

Until it isn't.  Now personally speaking I'm skeptical that Jalisco, without doubt one of the most corrupt and incompetent state governments in Mexico is going to get serious about this thing but if they do, it is probably not worth the hassle when you can run over to Chapala once per year and get a sticker fast and cheap.

More detailed directions to the one in Chapala. From Ajijic, Take Hildago east to the traffic light. Turn left (north), go past the plaza and right on the next street that goes east is Degollado. 3 blocks to Zaragoza, left one block and it is on the right. 

I am sure you can translate this

¿Qué es el Certificado de Verificación de Contaminantes?

A partir del 20 de Noviembre de 2011, los vehículos que deseen ser importados al país de manera definitiva deberán contar con un certificado de control de emisión de gases contaminantes emitido por alguna de las autoridades de Arizona, California, Texas o Nuevo México. Esta norma no aplica a las importaciones temporales.

This does not apply for temporary importation!!!LOL

That is correct.  Temporary importation is 6 months or less.

You are new here hence have not been around for the previous discussions and the reports of people being stopped and fined if the dates on their importation papers were longer than 6 months.  Spencer, I believe, has actually been involved in dealing with some of these problems.

However if you want to go without the sticker and drive it around GDL with reports of enforcement being cranked up go right ahead.

I drove around Guadalajara every day for ten years,got pulled over a few times due to the NOB plates,handed the copy of Articulo 106 that I kept in the glove box to the transitos and federales and that sufficed,

Wrong Again! the Temporary permit can be for the length of your temporary resident permit

I applied and received a Residente Temporal permit good for 4 years , when I drove to Mexico my jaguar , I got a temorary permit good until the expiration of with my Residente Temporal NO SMOG!

I am driving perfectly legal, I renew my stiker in the US, and the TIP on my widshield it is valid

THE END

Think people are confusing issues here.  There is a federal smog requirement to permanently import your car, this has nothing to do with issuance of a TIP.  There is a Jalisco state smog requirement that applies to cars with Jalisco plates and / or driving or remaining in Jalisco 6 months or more.  The federal authorities only will enforce smog if legalizing your car.  Jalisco state transit authorities will enforce law for cars within Jalisco and generally do not apply to non Jalisco plated cars however a smart cop could do so if presented with evidence someone was here more than 6 months like say presenting a Jalisco license. 

The chart gets posted about once or every three months perhaps by Intercasa.  And yes SunShineyDay, per the chart we with 9 need to get the car inspected in not Sept. but in October.  If someone runs across the chart again, maybe they could repost it,  I'll do a quick check for it as well.

Archived