Chapala.com Webboard

What to do with old Infinitum modem?

I'd take it back. It used to be that you had to bring your old, non-functioning modem into the Telmex office to receive a new one. Maybe that policy has changed, but I'd still take it back to them and let them know you're returning it from whatever associated phone number, otherwise you may end up getting charged for having two, etc. 

Telmex billing has been getting screwed up lately for several people I know. Different issues those....but still.

If the old one still works, you can keep it in case the new one stops working for whatever reason. They won't reuse the old ones anyway. You don't need to bring your old one back. I had several internet cafes several years ago and ended up with a pile of old modems because each year I got new modems even though the old ones were still working. I used them as spares if one failed because of a lightning strike or something else until they brought a new one. When I canceled the lines they never asked for those old modems.

Only when I asked at the office for a new modem I gave the old one back but they always put it on a pile of other old modems without registering anything ready to be thrown away. In case when they sent a new modem I never had to give the old one back.

They keep buying cheaper and cheaper modems so may not care.  Over 10 years they have gone thru policy changes about returns/exchanges.  I still have 3 2Wire modems that they did not want back.  My favorite modems

• 2 weeks later...

I think my old faithful Telmex modem is showing signs of dementia. It's not dead yet so I'd like to keep it s an emergency spare. My questions are 1. Do I go to Telmex beside the LPG station? 2. Who do I ask for? My Spanish is not bad but could be technically challenged in this field.  3. How much can I expect to pay? and finally, 4. Back in the UK, if I wanted to add a new modem I would need to know the email address (username) and password to access the line, neither of which I know as we inherited the line when we bought the house - is that relevant here or would Telmex be able to "program" the new modem?

Yes, go to the TelMex office in Ajijic beside the LPG station. Take a number from the machine on the back wall. They all speak enough English now. There is no charge. Simply bring your modem in with the power supply; nothing else is required: no cables, nothing. You will need your phone number, and your ID. Keep in mind, they will only swap the old one; they don't want you to keep it. If you tell them it is working fine, they will not give you another.

The user ID and password are built in to all TelMex modems, and the info is printed on the outside of each modem, as well as on the box. You almost never need to know any more than that... the password is also the 10-digit password for any wireless devices.

Archived