Chapala.com Webboard

Replacing Counter Tops

My kitchen is very small and has countertops made of the typical 4" square tiles....pretty but not practical.  I don't want to rip them out but I want to cover them with either formica or granite.  Has anyone else ever done this?  Is it doable?  

I wouldn't do formica unless you have the surface totally flat (which grouted tile is not). Cost per sq ft may be the same to replace as to resurface. Talk to a kitchen contractor.

Marble is porous so stains easily, great for pastry and looks nice but spill red wine and .....; quartz composite it is usually food safe and does not require regular up keep. Caesarstone - " Resistant to stains, scratches and cracks, Caesarstone surfaces are also highly heat-resistant, and happily shrug off most common household chemicals. Highly adaptable to almost any environment, you’ll have plenty of freedom when deciding which of your next interior spaces to reinvent. Surfaces can be supplied in thicker or thinner widths helps too, for increased flexibility – and to save weight. Caesarstone surfaces are non porous, making them safe and hygienic enough for use in laboratories, healthcare facilities, and food preparation environments. "  There is a distributor in GDL.

couple of other ideas for consideration.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-tile-countertop-look-modern-41041.html

http://www.livelovediy.com/2013/02/how-to-paint-tile-and-update-your.html

We installed granite in a kitchen at our house at the beach. After a year with humidity, sand and heat it still looks great. We also picked up a couple of smaller marble pieces at one of the granite stores in Guadalajara that we used in bathrooms. No problems with them either.

There are some giant granite stores in Guadalajara. We bought a couple of big pieces at Marmoletti on 8 de Julio. There are several granite people in town. We used Fabian that has a place on the carretera west of town. He went to Guadalajara to pick up the granite, drove to the beach to take measurements, cut the granite here and then drove out and installed the finished product. Rudi also has granite at his store near Rio Bravo.

They often have broken pieces for sale big enough to do smaller jobs which is what we did for the bathrooms.

Granite2.thumb.JPG.5beb5297071586149ce86

06Kitchen.thumb.jpg.740867f13b1d77196520

We have had granite in our homes for the last 25 years and have never had a problem and wouldn't have anything else as we love the natural stone.  However, you will need to have the existing countertops removed ... not a really big problem and the granite installers can do this for you ... they can also install the sink and faucet, etc. or they will have someone that can.  We used Rudy for two homes here and he did an excellent job both times.

We have granite in the kitchen 8 years, no problem, but marble in the bathroom counters.  Apparently a previous maid must have put some cleaning agent on the marble where the bottom of the spray container had cleaning solution on it and it has taken off the polish in a few places.

Marble is limestone origin, laid down in marine deposits, and is quite soluble in many substances. Granite is a much, much harder and resistant substance made of crystals of very hard minerals which were formed by slow cooling of molten magma, etc. So, granite is much more durable.

Maybe I am the only one with stains and burn marks on the granite counter tops. We are renting so I try hard to take care of it and was appalled to read all the don't in caring for the darn things. If you like the way it looks and are willing to take the special care, they're your counter tops.

1 minute ago, Floradude said:

So, I clicked on it again...there was the telephone number and email but I did not see the address of the business.

What am I doing wrong?

Right below the phone number is the address:

We invite you to visit our showroom or send us an email with any questions you may have. Remember, we give FREE estimates on all jobs.

MX Phone: 376-766-1306

US Phone: 704-464-6989

Carr. Chapala-Jocotepec #234

Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

(Lake Chapala area)

Hours: Mon - Fri:  9 - 1 and 3 - 5:00

Sat:  9-1

7 hours ago, Floradude said:

Thanks for the info. including the address above.

So I clicked on the link for the third time and below the telephone number on my screen there is nothing....blank.  No visible address.

Marble & Granite - Ajijic

Telephone:  376-766-1306 /  Email:  rudycompany@gmail.com

Are you clicking on the "Contact" tab at the top of the home page or are you scrolling to the bottom of the home page? The "Contact" tab should bring up the information. The phone number without address is at the bottom of the home page.

http://rudycompany.wix.com/marble-granite#!contact/con8 

Archived