Chapala.com Webboard

On my last bill (for Jan/Feb consumption) the "BASICO" rate (base rate for the first 150 kWhrs. over a 60 day billing period) was .793 pesos/kWhr.  This is for a Uso Domestico (domestic use) and tariff class 01.

It is over 500 KWHs per 2 month billing cycle you pay the DAC rate that 2 months but will go out of the DAC if the next billing cyce is less than 500WHs and the 12 month total average is exactly 3000 KWHs or under. A couple of KWHs over still keeps you DACtized. If you go under 500 KWHs that cycle but the 12 month average is over 3000 KWHs you stay in the DAC rate that billing cycle even if it is well under 500 KWHs..

That is exactly right Alan.

Just for the heck of it I went into the CFE webpage and looked at the latest rates for our Central area and found that the lowest level that could be paid for the first 75 KW per month was $0.793 pesos per KW + IVA which is 16% or 92 centavos, the second level for the next 65 KWH per month is $1.11 /KWH including IVA and the third for anything in access is $3.25 per KWH including IVA.

But should you reach the DAC tariff level as explained above then EACH and every KWH would cost of $4.10 pesos per KWH including IVA which aint cheap when converted to either US or CA dollars and then comparing what some of us pay up north, where most of our power comes from Hydro.

The cost is about 24¢ per KWH. No place in the USA is that high except Hawaii. Mexico CFE is higher per KWH than Brazil, France and the UK but lower than Japan, Germany, Spain and Demmark.  Funny thing is that the KWH price never falls when the energy imput cost falls. It is real "sticky".

Last time I looked about 3 years ago the DAC rate was the 3rd highest in the world and of course it's not just a one time jab in the eye, but a continuing thumb in both eyes. Here in TX on average I pay $0.11 per KWH, the more I use the lower it goes, what a concept. last month I only used 495KWH so it was about .$0.13, if I'd used 5,000KWH it would have been $.09 per KWH.

One thing that's been glossed over from the OP's question is an explanation of the cost and it's not per kilowatt. A kilowatt is just an electrical unit measurement and doesn't have a value per se. The way it's measured in in kilowatt "hours". If you have an appliance that uses 1 kilowatt when running and it runs for 1 hour then you have 1 kilowatt hour or 1KWH which then costs whatever your rate structure bills. If you plug the refrig into the watt meter and let it run for a day you can select a button to show you how many kilowatts you used over that period and you can calculate the KWH's used.

16 hours ago, geeser said:

The cost is about 24¢ per KWH. No place in the USA is that high except Hawaii. Mexico CFE is higher per KWH than Brazil, France and the UK but lower than Japan, Germany, Spain and Demmark.  Funny thing is that the KWH price never falls when the energy imput cost falls. It is real "sticky".

The average rate for San Diego  area is 21.1 cents per KWH. Higher rates for high usage. They have a 3 tiered rate system but over 50 KWHs per month is not greatly reduced. Under 50 KWHs per month is at a very reduced rate. SDG&E has filed for a 7.5% increase for 2016.

5 hours ago, giltner68 said:

Even the non-DAC rates are high as I recall. Seems like I used to pay effectively $0.17USD per KWH when it was empty. There are only two reasons for the rates and neither are going to change, inefficiency and corruption - both are massive.

The heavily subsidized 3 tier rate is: for the first 150 KWHs = $0.793 pesos or $0.044 USD 4 1/2 cents, Second rate is: for the  next 130 KWHs = $0.956 pesos or $0.056 USD 5 1/2 cents. Third rate for the rest for a total of under 500 KWHs, 2 months usage,  is: $2.802 pesos =  $ 0.165 USD 16.5 cents.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Remember Allen that those rates are before IVA which is another 16%

Right!  + 16% IVA on the total. So our last bill was $357.00 pesos for 2 months or $21.00 USD or $10.50 USD per month.

That's fantastic Alan.  Especially if you are able to do that without solar panels.  I'm able to keep my CFE rates down too. But, I have to use photo-voltaic solar panels thanks to Esun Energy, who have been a great help, when I have had problems because of a battery back up system I also had installed back in 2007-8,

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:41 PM, AlanMexicali said:

Right!  + 16% IVA on the total. So our last bill was $357.00 pesos for 2 months or $21.00 USD or $10.50 USD per month.

WE did a little better, 343p for 2 months. 3 ceiling fans,1 refri, 1 freezer, 1 tv, 3B, 3B, tub with jets.

You got yourself into the DAC rate  and will have to wait until your comsumption goes down to 250 KWHs per month for it to average out to 3000 KWHs per 12 months to get subsidized again at the 3 tier lowest rate. Check your last 6 bill´s comsumption for bills coming every 2 months. Is it 3000 KWHs or is it more?

"DOMESTIC CONSUMPTION HIGH (DAC), 2016

Check Rates of: 2016

This rate will apply to all energy services intended for domestic use only. It is considered guzzling when registering an average monthly consumption exceeds the limit defined high consumption for your locality.

The average monthly consumption is determined by the moving average consumption recorded by the user in the last 12 months.

When the Average Monthly Consumption is lower than the limit set High consumption in the city, domestic tariff 01, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E and 1F apply; corresponding

The high consumption limit is defined in terms of domestic rate: 01, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E and 1F; that applies in your area.

RATE LIMIT
01- 250 kWh / month"

http://app.cfe.gob.mx/Aplicaciones/CCFE/Tarifas/Tarifas/Tarifas_casa.asp?Tarifa=DACAnual2003&anio=2016

Bills that are every 2 months almost all need to be 500 KWHs or less and if you don´t reduce consumption to 500 KWHs every 2 months to average the 500 KWHs to equal 3000 KWHs in 12 months you will stay in the DAC rate. 1 KWH over in the 12 month average will keep you in the DAC rate.

3000 KWHs/ 365= 8.219 KWHs per day for 61 days = 500 KWHs to stay highly subsidized.

Good morning, after only one coffee I am still trying to figure this out....

so our bill for Mar Apr just came in and it says

Basico   150 Kwh  Precio 0.793  Subtotal  118.95

Intermedio 130 Kwh Precio 0.956  Subtotal  124.28

Excedente  173 Kwh Precio 2.802  Subtotal  484.74

Suma         453                    Subtotal  727.97

plus IVA for a total of 845.00

My questions are:  Am I in DAC or not?  And if I am in DAC why are there 3 prices for the energy?  I gathered from this forum that once you hit DAC price per Kwh is charged at one high rate.  Anyway can someone enlighten me?

52 minutes ago, Ready Or Not said:

Good morning, after only one coffee I am still trying to figure this out....

so our bill for Mar Apr just came in and it says

Basico   150 Kwh  Precio 0.793  Subtotal  118.95

Intermedio 130 Kwh Precio 0.956  Subtotal  124.28

Excedente  173 Kwh Precio 2.802  Subtotal  484.74

Suma         453                    Subtotal  727.97

plus IVA for a total of 845.00

My questions are:  Am I in DAC or not?  And if I am in DAC why are there 3 prices for the energy?  I gathered from this forum that once you hit DAC price per Kwh is charged at one high rate.  Anyway can someone enlighten me?

No you are not in the DAC. If you were your bill would probably be about : 453 KWHs X 3.536 pesos [DAC per KWH] = $1608.00 pesos plus charges and fees of $88.04 for March and $89.24 for April = $1779.00 pesos plus IVA 16% = $2063.00 total.

http://app.cfe.gob.mx/Aplicaciones/CCFE/Tarifas/Tarifas/Tarifas_casa.asp?Tarifa=DACAnual2003&anio=2016

We are in the "Región Central" [Tarif Zone 01] on this chart of DAC charges. That is where I got the numbers from.

Notice when you comsume more in the  "Excedente" [excess] , 173 Kwh  Precio 2.802  Subtotal  484.74,  the price per KWH jumps from $0.793 and $0.956 per KWH on the consumption of the first 280 KWHs to $2.803. [2 months or 140 KWHs per month]

Small house easy to make under DAC. Larger houses it is almost impossible.  I have all rebuilt pumps, LED lightbulbs and TV, I have new fridge and use low draw Chromebook and Bluetooth speaker for music and I can only get it down to 580 KwH for two months. My bill for this is around 1280 pesos.  My casita which uses Half the juice of the big house costs 280P so you can see how the rate goes up. Only solution is disconnect stuff or put in a small solar array before I hit DAC.  Also we folks on hills have to pump our water sometimes to the roof as pressure is not good enough to do so all the time.  So pumps (also if you have a pool) make a difference.  I have three on this house. One for house pressure, one to pump water from city water to roof, and one to water the yard with tank water. We do stay home alot so I am sure this has to do with our usage but we are giving up saving electricity to save from going on DAC. No matter what we do it seems impossible. We have been able to keep it under 500Kwh for our previous houses. It looks like I can pay CFE on DAC or buy a small solar array and spend my money that way. Solar array it is.  I know some people in a large house may be able to go under 500KwH but this house just won't let us. I love this house but utilities in Mexico are not cheap compared to Seattle or Portland in PNW.  I even have two of the old wasteful mexican water heaters on this energy pig of a house.

At the 2 month for $1280.00 pesos you are not getting the DAC rate. You are getting the 3 tiered heavily subsidized rate. Do the math: 580 KWHs for 2 months. First 150 KWHs at 0.793 pesos is $118.95 pesos, Next 130 KWHs at $0.956 is $124.28 pesos. The last 300 KWHs at $2.802 is $840.60 pesos. $118.95 + $124.28 + $840.60 = $1083.82 + 16% IVA = $1257.00 pesos. You must be within the 3000 KWHs average for the last 12 months to stay out of the DAC rate. Best to check your last 6 bills comsumption if they are 2 month bills to see how close you are to going over and then into the DAC rate which will hurt much more than you are now and possibly plan accordingly. We don´t use our propane clothes dryer as motors are high consumers. We don´t have outside lights on or need to turn on our pumps to get water to the tinaco or use the aljibe but do have a small water pressure pump on the roof. Our house is 3,300 sq. ft. and the wáter for the garden is supplied by the "privada" on a separate 1 1/2 inch line and has lots of pressure.  Our "privada" has 2 large cement tanks up the hill from the last street.

8 hours ago, Jistme said:

Can someone please explain why there's such a disparity between your bills and mine. Should we be paying CFE a visit for an explanation?

Maybe we really do use up more power than is normal...but I wasn't aware of this, perhaps we do.

A few years ago we had a rear projection Plasma big screen TV and it broke down.  We junked it - too expensive to repair.  

With the new 50 in. LED TV, our CFE bill was cut in half.  Look at your OLD appliances!

A few of years ago there was a discussion on this or other web boards about a Kill-a-watt meter.  Not sure if there are available here or not:

Kill-a-watt monitor  

Archived