Chapala.com Webboard

problems with telecable wifi when using Windows 10?

bdmowers

I`m considering MS switch me to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and wonder if there will be problems with accessing the Telecable internet.  Does anyone have Windows 10 and are having these problems with their internet/wifi?  Thanks.

WiFi is WiFi, I have to say. In theory, you should have no problems: Telecable WiFi uses the same standards as TelMex, as does everyone. The problems arise when drivers are not correct for a new version of Windows, or the Modem itself gets clogged and needs to be reset. However, Windows is 99% accurate at updating the drivers properly. There is always an exception when dealing with Windows of any variety. Even Macs have suffered for a couple of years with poor drivers for WiFi.

I just this week completed work on a PC that upgraded to Windows 10, which destroyed certain key files the network adapters need to connect (both ethernet and WiFi). We finally had to go back to Windows 7, doing a System Restore, which magically "repaired" the damage.

I did two other PCs this week that had upgraded to W10: one upgrade blew away the printer drivers and all the games on the system. Highly illogical. A third upgrade occurred against the owner's wishes, and the System Restore failed, because W10 had damaged key startup files. The entire operating system had to be reinstalled from scratch, at which point I also installed a tool that prevents Windows 10 from installing.

The point is, you just can't tell until you try it. But if you like Windows 7, there is nothing I have found in Windows 10 that makes the change worthwhile. On the other hand, Windows 8.1 is not very good, and upgrading might help, although as I have noted many times on this board, an in-place upgrade to W10 is not nearly as forgiving as a full reinstallation using W10.

You can add me to your list of people that Windows 10 has installed itself to my computer without permission.  Did it while I was having a siesta yesterday.

Fortunately I went on line and found how how to turn off all of its spying.  It seems to be working fine, hasn't messed up any of my apps as far as I can tell and definitely runs better and faster than 8.1.

Archived