Chapala.com Webboard

Early Rains This Year?

I have lived here for eight years and every year we get this "Early Start To the Rainy Season" wishful thinking. There is also every year a few stray showers that have the Early Starters trumpeting they were right. Always turns out they are wrong. Because no matter what you hear or when you hear it just about the middle of June the true rainy season begins. Sorry to be a dry blanket but there are about two more months of dry, hot weather.

Also, there are rainbirds (which are large cicadas) that do not get with the program. The ones who are with the program (and will be successful in finding a mate) start calling maybe mid-May, and the long whine is preceded or followed by a rapid "ak-ak-ak-ak-ak" sound. When you hear that, you may wish to start thinking about finding your umbrella.

We have had something akin to rainbirds in RdeO for a month now, getting more and more each night. I do wonder if these early birds are a different species? Seems these ones only sing in the evenings and have a slightly different song, missing the ak ak ak described by jaybear. The song is also not quite as high pitched . The real rainbirds can sound like the hum of electricity under those high kilowatt - high tension powerlines (such as Quebecs James Bay lines I once had the pleasure of working under). I have been calling these guys(?) the advance scouts, but if you let your imagination run, you might be able to call them the ladies in waiting?

Anyone out there who know the habits of these insects enough to educate this years crop of rainbird watchers?

Here in West Ajijic we measured 4.9 inches of rain in March last year; and, 3,9 inches in May.  Considerably more outside the rain season than in previous years. One of the local meteorolgists remarked a year or so ago that he observed a new pattern that could redefine the "rain season." 

As for the cicadas:  We have a hundred or more trees on the property and from mid-May onward,  the cicadas are so loud and near-continuous in their songs  they can "drown out" conversation and television dialogue.   Would rent them out to anyone who "misses" their song but, alas, they are elusive creatures.

A sprinkle with thunder in Joco about 3pm and more substantial just now in Ajijic. If you look at the monthly rainfall stats on www.chapalaweather.net you will see that while the bulk of the rain is in June, July and August, there is measurable rain in almost every month of the year. 

xena

Let me see if I have this straight.  No matter how much rain falls this month and May, only the rain that falls after June 15 counts.  OK, I got it.  Seems a shame though.  Last year we got inches of rain in March and it forced the damns to release water early to the lake that we needed.  It kept raining enough to measure into Oct.  I hope we don't have to return all the unofficial rain that gets here before June 15th.  Actually, my Mexican neighbors think that normal is for it to start raining on June 6. Hey, what do they know.

The Rainy Season is typically from the 2nd week in June thru the 2nd week in October.  That's when we get storms from the Gulf sweeping across Mexico.  That's when we get the majority of our rainfall.  We get rain in other months, sometimes January or February but that doesn't make it "Rainy Season.  Just because it feels like a fall day doesn't mean it's Fall.  Get it?  To everything there is a season. Rainy Season will come on time just as always.

1st:  we get a couple heavy rains early May every year which spawns questions about "early rainy season"

2nd:  a couple more the end of May lead to declaration of same

3rd: as happened again last year, there is virtually no rain first two weeks June

4th:  rainy season starts as usual middle of June...el saltos and xena correcto.

Nevermind the rainbirds.  The best way to guarantee a rainstorm; a good, heavy one, complete with thunder, is to either remove your roof, your skylight or your windows.  We are in the process of replacing some windows, so apertures are open.  Big ones.  Naturally, around 7 pm. in Central Ajijic, the rain came.  Scramble for plastic.  It was still going on at ten p.m.  There's a certain inevitability about it.:(

Thank you, Gringal.  I am sure many of us are grateful for your assistance in helping provide us with a healthy, dust reducing rain last night.  Should we expect rain tonight or did your windows get replaced today?  When will you be getting your car washed?  Just trying to plan ahead.

1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

Thank you, Gringal.  I am sure many of us are grateful for your assistance in helping provide us with a healthy, dust reducing rain last night.  Should we expect rain tonight or did your windows get replaced today?  When will you be getting your car washed?  Just trying to plan ahead.

Ni Modo, Al.  The windows are still out, so you may get another blessing from above.  The cement is drying.  The word is "maybe" by the end of the week....or next week.  I think I'd put off washing the car.

Guest bennie2

rain is rain. there were big storms several times in septembers, also in october & december. prefer small showers like yesterday. im going away to miss the heat. if it keeps on raining, that would be like april fools. never rained here in april.

Archived