Chapala.com Webboard

La Una Restaurant

Floradude

18 minutes ago, Floradude said:

The restaurant just down from the church in Ajijic seems to be closed every time I drive by the past two weeks.  I don't see anything about it closing in the restaurant forum.  Any info. out there?

The last I heard, they are closed for good and going NOB re family issues.

Our group hasn't been back there since shortly after they opened the new place.  We discovered their practice of hiding a Service Charge of 15% labeled SRA in the 4th line of an 8 item bill.  If you were a group of 4 or more nobody tracks what everyone orders so it was not detected when splitting up the payment.  So of course, we would then add on a generous propina.  

When we questioned it, they were forthright in admitting it was a service charge.  On that occasion another group of friends were settling up and they hadn't noticed either.  They were more than a little angry at the deceptive business practice.   That one instance meant 8 people who were otherwise satisfied never returned.  Generally people never forgive that kind of deception.

Did they ever stop doing that?

1 hour ago, ACLakeside said:

Our group hasn't been back there since shortly after they opened the new place.  We discovered their practice of hiding a Service Charge of 15% labeled SRA in the 4th line of an 8 item bill.  If you were a group of 4 or more nobody tracks what everyone orders so it was not detected when splitting up the payment.  So of course, we would then add on a generous propina.  

When we questioned it, they were forthright in admitting it was a service charge.  On that occasion another group of friends were settling up and they hadn't noticed either.  They were more than a little angry at the deceptive business practice.   That one instance meant 8 people who were otherwise satisfied never returned.  Generally people never forgive that kind of deception.

Did they ever stop doing that?

Seams like kind of a moot point if they are closed and gone.

I always meant to try La Una but, like so many places that open and close quickly here, the location was a poor choice and t he business model seemed to be lacking. I tried a couple of times but no success.

For the record, for anyone who wants to open a restaurant around here (or anywhere) bear in mind that if your customers can't find the place or can't find parking when they arrive, and then are faced with irregular working hours, well, that is one old fashioned recipe for failure.

Archived