Chapala.com Webboard

In my opinion, and you may certainly disagree, I think Number 4 under went a significant decline when Gaby bought Kim out. To her credit she has stayed with it and I now think she has Number 4 back to where it needed to be. Again, in my opinion, the menu and wine list are both better than they were previously. The Kitchen is almost as good as it was under Kim and the service is very attentive. The staff are still not  quite as well trained as Kim's staff was but that too has improved and I sure will continue to improve. If you have not seen Gaby and her group preform you are missing something as well! Now if someone could explain to my satisfaction why they charge 75p for Bombay Sapphire gin but 109p for a Martini made from same I would really be a happy camper. 

If you have not tried it recently you might want to check it out again.            

First, the name of the restaurant is "Cuatro," not "Number 4" which was Kim's business name.  Second, Jon and Gaby own the restaurant, not just Gaby.  Next, the wine list and menu changes were immediate and welcome changes.  Finally, we noticed no significant decline, only growing pains. We applaud the changes Jon and Gaby have introduced to make it theirs.   We find it a superb place and dine/drink there frequently and have for years.  

14 hours ago, El Saltos said:

First, the name of the restaurant is "Cuatro," not "Number 4" which was Kim's business name.  Second, Jon and Gaby own the restaurant, not just Gaby.  Next, the wine list and menu changes were immediate and welcome changes.  Finally, we noticed no significant decline, only growing pains. We applaud the changes Jon and Gaby have introduced to make it theirs.   We find it a superb place and dine/drink there frequently and have for years.  

Wow, not only are you the smartest guy on the block but you have a delightful personality as well. I know all that "inside baseball" stuff but was trying to keep it simple so folks would know what restaurant  my post was about. To the best of my recollection their current wine list and menu were published about 6 months ago, long after they took over the place.  

El Sattos, who is apparently a big fan of this place, has done his or her best to try to make someone feel foolish for taking the trouble to post a positive review. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.    

On 4/18/2016 at 5:56 PM, JRPJR said:

In my opinion, and you may certainly disagree, I think Number 4 under went a significant decline when Gaby bought Kim out. To her credit she has stayed with it and I now think she has Number 4 back to where it needed to be. Again, in my opinion, the menu and wine list are both better than they were previously. The Kitchen is almost as good as it was under Kim and the service is very attentive. The staff are  still  quite as knowledgeable as Kim's staff was but that too has improved and I sure will continue to improve. If you have not seen Gaby and her group preform you are missing something as well! Now if someone could explain to my satisfaction why they charge 75p for Bombay Sapphire gin but 109p for a Martini made from same I would really be a happy camper. 

If you have not tried it recently you might want to check it out again.            

a serving a liquor 80 proof is (legaly) 1.5oz, though many places do 2oz pours. A martini (again depending on the place) has at lesat 50%, if not twice that, especially if it's a straight martini and not one with juices and other things added for flavour.  I obvisouly don't speak for Yann and Gaby, but in most restaurants this is how it works.  On a side note, I had a nice dinner there last week.  I think it's important that other busines owners support one another and I've known Yann and Gabby for years, since they were playing at our place.

8 hours ago, JRPJR said:

To the best of my recollection their current wine list and menu were published about 6 months ago, long after they took over the place.  

The current Menu and Wine List are not the first ones they've published since they acquired 4.  They had new ones very quickly due to the many changes in each.  I'm sure we'll see more new versions in the future.

Dined there last night. They are hitting it out of the park. Coconut shrimp appetizer was new and outstanding. We liked it when Kim was running it and even better now. 

On 4/27/2016 at 11:51 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Well, the food may be good, but it is overpriced; the owners are even snootier than Kim was, and they have no respect for those with whom they do business.

I drive by there often, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what that sign out front means::   "Wine, Women, Wednesdays"????????:o

Yes, CGuy, it is expensive. That said, it is even more expensive to hire a cab to take you to and from a fine restaurant in Guadalajara, and pay menu prices that are more expensive than Quatro on top of the cab fare. If Quatro was in Guadalajara, it would probably be in the top 10 in TripAdvisor. IMHO!

Archived