Chapala.com Webboard

Tourist extension

Dinter

Hi

I am in Nuevo Laredo, about to end my 180 tourist permit in Mexico but want to stay another week or so. Being a non-US citizen I prefer not to enter and exit the US to save immigration hassle. Can I extend my Tourist permit in Nuevo Laredo for a short period?

Alternatively, how bad will it be to overstay the 180 days for about a week?

Thanks

as long as you stay in the border zone it wont be a problem. you dont really need a permit for the border zone , only when you go into the interior like 21 or so kilometers south of the border. maybe just cancel the expiring one and get a new one, easy enough although they might make you come back the next day for the new one.

One cannot extend a tourist permit (except for maybe dire medical circumstances). If you are staying in N. Laredo or the border zone in general, as stated above you don't even need one.... just turn your expiring one in and go about your business. 

Personally I've probably had 15-20 Tourist Cards over the years and have yet to have anyone ask to see it..... but I've also not been in an accident or had any other reason for it to be asked for. YMMV

Archived