Chapala.com Webboard

Choice of Guadalajara Hospitals

My U.S. health insurance provider has arrangements with the following Guadalajara Hospitals for covered, inpatient medical care:

-- Hospital Bernardette

-- Hospital Mexico Americano

-- Hospital Santa Maria Chapalita

-- Hospital Terranova, S.A.

In the highly unlikely event I may require hospitalization for a medical emergency while residing in Ajijic this summer, I'm thinking I probably should know in advance which of these hospitals I would choose.  Unfortunately, I haven't a clue.

For anyone with insights into these hospitals, I greatly would welcome your thoughts as to which one of these four facilities is best equipped to handle emergencies and provide top-notch medical care.  Conversely, I'm wondering if there are any hospitals on this list that should best be avoided?  

Many thanks.

Avoid Terranova. Recent very bad experience. I still suffer the consequences of poor hygiene at this hospital.

I know 2 other people who had the same experience.

I would choose Mexico Americano or Santa Maria Chapalita, depending on treatment/equipment needed.

Bernardette is very good but very noisy on the bottom floor by the court yard.  The security does not enforce the visitors rules and there are kids running every where.  Good care, very noisy.  Last time I was in Hospital Mexico Americano, the care had really gone down hill and the nurses made a lot of mistakes.  My physician said they had lost their accreditation certificate.  This was about a year + ago.  I don't know about the other 2 mentioned above.

If I had a medical emergency and did not have a doctor to direct me to the hospital of his choice (which the doctors here do) ... then I would instruct the ambulance driver to take me to Hospital Mexico Americano.  This is because in 3 separate incidences we have been in really good hospitals with a medical condition that required the equipment that was located at Mexico Americano and so were transported to that hospital.  Therefore, I have drawn the conclusion that they have a wider variety of specialized equipment than do some other hospitals on your list.

That being said, I would not shy away from any of them if my doctor advised that I go there.  Since one poster and their friends had a bad experience at Terranova then you might avoid it, however, there have been several of my friends that sing it's praises.  Many times it depends on the people giving the care and unfortunately a bad experience can be had at any hospital whether you be North or South of the border.

Good luck and hopefully this will all be mute and you will not have to visit a hospital during your time here.  

I do know that, as of a year or so ago, Bernadette was the only hospital in Guadalajara which had two heart cafherization labs. Two tables, probably no waiting, if you're having a cardiac event. 

I've heard good reviews from friends of mine about the Hospital Militar in Guadalajara,I have never been there,has anyone on this board had any experience with them?

I have been in the emergency rooms, and subsequently hospitalized for cardiology as well as abdominal surgery in both Hospital Bernadette and Mexico Americano at various times between 2004 and 2014.  I preferred Mexico Americano, as the beds were more comfortable. Other than that, they were similar in service.

Sorry this contribution is indefinite.  As of a few months ago Dr. Najar the head of cardiology at Bernadette was going to resign.  I think that he was going to go to Hospital San Francisco temporarily during which time he and other doctors were going to build their own.   If you want to see him it would be best to phone first -- his emergency cel is 333 954 2645.  At second hand I understand that Hospital San Francisco is very acceptable and has up-to-date equipment.

As a side note, you may have to pay the hospital before leaving and wait to get reimbursed by your insurance company. I think Spencer commented here once, that he has sprung more people from hospitals than jails! They will try to keep you hostage in the hospital until they are paid.

2 hours ago, Aquaponicsman said:

As a side note, you may have to pay the hospital before leaving and wait to get reimbursed by your insurance company. I think Spencer commented here once, that he has sprung more people from hospitals than jails! They will try to keep you hostage in the hospital until they are paid.

That's more than a side note...that's a factual piece of information that is very important for people to know...just in case. And also up front information that people should ask of their insurers.

The good news is that the paperwork provided by most hospitals is VERY detailed...I mean every single thing is listed as an expense that you pay for. I swear they count the number of sheets of toilet paper used.

I greatly appreciate all of the responses.

Concerning the advice to select the hospital of the Lakeside-attending physician’s referral, I think this is logical IF you have a "trusted" physician making the referral.  However, based on an experience I had with a recommended local physician last summer, I must admit I am no longer so trusting.  It’s a long story, but in a nutshell, acting on the Lakeside physician’s referral upon seeing her about some painful breathing episodes, I found myself unnecessarily (in my opinion) admitted to Hospital San Javier and racking up USD 2,000 in questionable charges that my health insurance company has so far balked at reimbursing me.

I simply want to be better prepared for my stay this summer by knowing and working within my insurance plan’s network of affiliated hospitals in the highly unlikely event of my encountering some sort of medical emergency.

Again, many thanks for everyone's input.

• 2 years later...

Archived