Chapala.com Webboard

What is this insect please

MtnMama

I bought it from her 7 or 8 years ago at a festival put on by ACA. It is homeopathic and comes in three parts. I have used it twice for insect bites that swelled up and hurt. Both times it helped.

The first time I never saw the insect but suspect it was a spider of some sort. It hurt for several days. This time it was the above bug identified as "scorpion tail" in the photo I found.

That was the first of many diagnoses.....it got me on both legs about four inches above the ankle, felt like a tiny red-hot electrical wire had brushed by me. Couldn't pay much attention at the moment as I was dealing with a moving carpet of army ants that desperately wanted in my house. I was rushing around pouring repelente in the doorways and dealing with a poorly repaired fridge and a lot of organic lamb brought back from the Lake the week before. Next day the bites got gross, and about four days later when I put my right ankle up on my left knee I got to watch as my flesh opened up to the bone for about three inches. But the wounds did not look like anything I saw on the web that were identified as brown recluse. All I know is, every doctor who saw it shrugged and said, "I have no idea! Let's try THIS!!!" and nothing helped til the colloidal silver. Now remember, I live in deep Nayarit jungle, so don't get all paranoid! I guess when I bought this property 15 years ago I thought I was going to get younger.....

I'm still curious to find out what that little critter was that stung or bit you.  If it looked just like the picture you posted, it most likely was a mecoptera.  They look like something straight out of your worst nightmare, a flying scorpion.  But from everything I have found on google, they seem quite harmless.  That scorpion stinger you see, only the males have, and is basically an enlarged penis, which contains absolutely no venom and is not used for self defense but other purposes like in fertilizing the female.  Talk about rough sex.....ay ay ay!

Not to hijack your insect question, but perhaps someone knowledgeable could give me some advice on my insect problem too.

These critters are about the size of a pinhead, they're black, and come out in the evenings, they're almost invisible to the naked eye, unless you know what to look for. They're making our life a misery.

I've had three extermination treatments in the past four months, and have just had a guy clean and treat our high brick ceilings.

They get into our beds, and they bite...no they're not bedbugs, it's difficult to get a good nights uninterrupted sleep with these pests, sheets are changed three times a week, and beds sprayed with disinfectant, and home remedies of vinegar and lemon etc.,

I've just finished spraying around the outside perimeter with a commercial bug spray. Been in this house 7 years without so much

as a mosquito bite...why now?

On 4/17/2016 at 3:08 PM, MyHomeSweetHome said:

How about this one? Size of a grain of salt.  They do bite if they get on you. 

image.jpeg

Not a mealy bug.  I don't know the name but they make a good bit of white fuzz around their bodies when they are on your plants.  I have seen them every year but not all year like you would a mealy bug.

1 hour ago, Jistme said:

Not to hijack your insect question, but perhaps someone knowledgeable could give me some advice on my insect problem too.

These critters are about the size of a pinhead, they're black, and come out in the evenings, they're almost invisible to the naked eye, unless you know what to look for. They're making our life a misery.

I've had three extermination treatments in the past four months, and have just had a guy clean and treat our high brick ceilings.

They get into our beds, and they bite...no they're not bedbugs, it's difficult to get a good nights uninterrupted sleep with these pests, sheets are changed three times a week, and beds sprayed with disinfectant, and home remedies of vinegar and lemon etc.,

I've just finished spraying around the outside perimeter with a commercial bug spray. Been in this house 7 years without so much

as a mosquito bite...why now?

I know it sounds gross, but spray your mattress with insecticide then put on the mattress pad and then your regular sheets.  That should take care of the problem in your bed without getting insecticide on your body.

Archived