Chapala.com Webboard

What kind of snake is this?

Newjersey expat Garden snake? Do you mean garder?

The pattern on the body looks like Hypsiglena torquata (Culebra or Night snake)in my book but the head isn't quite right. Do you have a closeup of the head?

i call them rat snakes...but...do not trust them...we can not trust any snake with or without legs....

2 hours ago, cedros said:

Newjersey expat Garden snake? Do you mean garder?

The pattern on the body looks like Hypsiglena torquata (Culebra or Night snake)in my book but the head isn't quite right. Do you have a closeup of the head?

Yes garter....and me from the Garden state!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice. My gardener came over and took a look at it. He said it was venomous so I'm afraid its corpse is now in the garden.  I didn't want to take any chances with my dobies.

Best wishes,

Henry Laxen

36 minutes ago, henrylaxen said:

Thanks for all the advice. My gardener came over and took a look at it. He said it was venomous so I'm afraid its corpse is now in the garden.  I didn't want to take any chances with my dobies.

Best wishes,

Henry Laxen

Well, Henry, since your gardener is a LOCAL with no doubt a lot more experience in these things than well-meaning people who "guess", as much as I don't like to see wild things killed, I'm definitely with you and Nadine on this one!

Would have done the same in your shoes, with 5 cats in the house and  4 dogs outside.....................but since your live on a side hill and we don't hope it doesn't come to that!

Not all venomous snakes have triangular heads.  Coral snake comes to mind.  I hate killing them...but it is better to be safe.  Maybe you could take the body to someone into snakes and find out what it is.  ....more than likely it's not ...one of a kind.

Many gardeners think every snake is poisonous.  Part is a lack of education and part is superstition.  I'm sorry you let him kill it as they are very good at ridding your neighborhood of vermin.  Now let your gardener go out and kill every spider.

There are only 5 venomous snakes here and that isn't one of them. Many of the locals are ignorant of such.

I noticed that it had a round pupil.  Most venomous ones are elliptical.  There should be a least one snake enthusiast in the area,  It'd be nice to have a "Go To" guy.  Could save a lot of snakes. And.... if the gardeners there are anything like the ones here.... ALL snakes are the devil...KILL IT!  I told him to leave it alone and come get me...we do have copperheads and water moccasins....  but I've never see either in 17 years.  The non venomous ones are so helpful in keeping the mouse population in check.  I was not amused when the hired guy came in all pleased with himself because he'd killed a snake.... the snake that lives/lived in my stallion's stall .  Snowy drops grain...mice go to retrieve and snake removes mice.  Snowy never seemed to mind.

What about the wildlife rescue people? I'm sure they are very familiar with the snakes in the area and could have told you whether it was dangerous or not. I believe they are nationally certified to rescue wildlife.

Lakeside Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation:[4/14]
Promotes the rescue and rehabilitation of wild animals, trees and plants around Lake Chapala.

Vern and Lori Geiger 376-765-4916 lgeiger@prodigy.net.mx

Thank you WideSky for the info.  Next time I'll contact them if something similar happens.  I too do not like to kill snake or spiders, unless I think they might hurt the doggies.  (I murder mosquitos with pleasure however.) To my (untrained) eye, the polygon I would pick for the shape of its head would be a triangle.  Also it did coil and lunge at me when I first placed the glass bowl over it.  Sorry little guy.  Thanks again WideSky.

Best wishes,

Henry Laxen

If cornered anything is going to be defensive - dogs, cats, possums, people. If the snake was starting it's molt then it's eyesight wouldn't be optimal. My 15lb jack russell X encountered about a 2 meter black coach whip while chasing lizards in the tall grass last fall. She jumped one way and the snake the other (wish I'd had a camera), each 'headin' for the hills'. A coach whip is also a constrictor and it was only defending itself by lunging at her. 

Vern & Laurie, own/operate the Wildlife Rescue and usually have a bazaar at the Vivero across from Walmart the last Sunday of the month (usually there is a banner advertising). They generally bring some of their critters. Stop by and talk to them. 

Archived