Chapala.com Webboard

Air Conditioning

I think when the term "survival" was used in the prior post, it was actually referring to being comfortable enough to enjoy your life.

Every body is different. A lot of personal comfort is about what you're used to.  This morning, before it "warmed up" I looked across the street and saw a lady wearing a sleeveless outfit and barefoot sandals getting into a car... with Canadian plates, of course.  I was bundled in several layers, with boots.   There you go.

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2016 at 10:18 AM, Intercasa said:

Replies in caps to differentiate not to shout

Is mini split the best way to go? YES AS THEY ARE CHEAP, QUIET AND GET A UNIT WITH HEAT AS THERE ARE A FEW WEEKS WHERE YOU WILL SLEEP WELL WHEN COLD SPELLS HIT

How loud is compressor and what would be a minimum distance from windows?  IT IS ON ROOF AND YOU DONT HEAR IT

Electro Venta for sale and installation? I DUNNO

Buy elsewhere and hire installer? NO

Recommendations for installer? I DUNNO

I HAVE 2 UNITS IN MY PLACE, 1ST ONE 3 YEARS AGO RAN 6,000 PESOS INCLUDING INSTALLATION, 2ND ONE 5,700 BOTH HAVE HEAT AND A/C, HAVE ONE IN MY GUAD OFFICE DONT KNOW HOW I SURVIVED BEFORE, UPSTAIRS POOR VENTILATION AND LOTS OF COMPUTERS AND LASER PRINTERS DONT HELP

Did you get the 110/115 or the 220 electric? Who did you buy from as I am interested in doing the same. I only want to cool one room, so I guess I do not need a big unit. Thanks for your help.

On 4/13/2016 at 10:11 AM, sm1mex said:

We used Jose Alfredo Cabrera in Chapala.  We bought 2 one ton mini splits for the bedrooms about 4 years ago.  He ran the wire to our fuse box and did the installation.  I would recommend him.  He speaks broken English but you can get by with him if you don't speak any Spanish.  The a/c compressor units are mounted on our roof.  His email is  jacj007@me.com

cell 331 292 3394 / 333 952 3878 (I don't know if the second number is another cell or his house.

Did he also do all the cosmetic work on the walls? I am concerned with the need/cost for a 220 line. I know it depends on which unit one buys, but would like to keep costs down wherever possible.  Thanks.

On 12/23/2017 at 4:52 PM, mudgirl said:

No, it's not mandatory- it is what you personally find necessary. If it was mandatory for survival, all the Mexicans and the other gringos who find living with fans to be adequate would be dead by now.

I must be dead.  For 20 years, living full time in our house in Guadalajara with only a fan. Oh no, all of my in-laws must be dead.  Most of them don't even use fans.  

• Haha 1

Usually when it gets hot lakeside the humidity is also quite low, so rather than using an air conditioner one can cool an area very economically with an evaporative cooler which uses a small fraction of the electricity of an A/C.

Right now the temperature out side is almost 30 C or 85 F and the humidity outside my house reads 37%. under these conditions if I needed cooling I could simply use my evaporative cooler.

• Haha 1

The original rooftop  evaporative cooler was probably installed in about 1990 and it fed two bedrooms with overflow into the TV room on the second floor. When I rebuilt the house during 2007-8 my architect Jaime Hernandez ordered a larger whole house rooftop evaporative cooler that when running on low uses slightly more than 500 watts; with ducting to two of the bedrooms and to the upstairs TV room.

Because hot air rises and cool air works its way down to the first floor as well, it is basically a whole house roof top cooler. My architect ordered same from a restaurant supply store somewhere in Guadalajara. An easier solution would be a  smaller wall or window mounted unit meant to cool one room, like perhaps your bedroom.

These units are quiet and work well as long as they have dry air fed from the outside sending in cooler but more humid air into the area you are cooling. Right now the outside air is 87 F and the temperature inside before I turned the cooler on was 78 F. I just turned it on to test the system. The air coming in should be about 20 F lower than the temperature of the outside air because the humidity is 26 %. If it isn't I will have to go to the flat roof and see if all of the pads that the air is sucked through are being properly watered so that I will have efficient evaporation and cooling. I will post more later.

Oh sometimes in June once the rainy season has kind of sort of started the hot air can be humid and on those few days of the year my evaporative cooler will not help.

• Like 1

I had no idea swamp coolers were so effective, a 20 degree drop is phenomenal. I saw them frequently when I lived in Tamaulipas. Here is a calculator if any are interested in what they can do:  http://www.borstengineeringconstruction.com/Evaporative_Cooler_Performance_Calculator.html

Update. The cooler was only dropping the temperature about 10 F. So I went up to the roof only to discover that the panels were not being properly watered and the temp only was dropping 10 F. Well I have a hose up there and I totally watered the panels and discovered that when they were totally watered that the temp dropped a total of 21 degrees F.

This happens every few years. I simply have to take off a screen and get access to the panels and clean out the water distribution system that becomes clogged with debris, and in this case, replace a small water pump that distributes some of the water.

OH on that post just above this. There has to be a simpler formula system than that. That one is too complicated for me. :)

I bought a 18,000 btu Whirlpool mini-split from Tio Sams and they set up the electrician who ran a 220v line up to the mirador and a Whirlpool tech who installed the unit. It was about $18,000p total for all.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread to share some info on an often-sought topic:

Lakeside sales and service for both residential and business, of several top quality AC brands is now being provided by SICEN, a division of SICASA.    They guarantee best pricing and top quality installations and have a 20 year track record in other parts of Mexico with offices and warehouse now in Guad.   

Their project portfolio is impressive and includes many large hotels; they also design and install water purification systems and heat pump systems.

Contact info:   Ing. Jorge Olvera

Jorge.Olvera (at) sicen.mx

Tel. + 52 33 1652 4232
Cel. +52 33 2832 0135

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Reviving this thread to share some info on an often-sought topic:

Lakeside sales and service for both residential and business, of several top quality AC brands is now being provided by SICEN, a division of SICASA.    They guarantee best pricing and top quality installations and have a 20 year track record in other parts of Mexico with offices and warehouse now in Guad.   

Their project portfolio is impressive and includes many large hotels; they also design and install water purification systems and heat pump systems.

Contact info:   Ing. Jorge Olvera

Jorge.Olvera (at) sicen.mx

Tel. + 52 33 1652 4232
Cel. +52 33 2832 0135

Hello everyone, it is a pleasure to introduce myself. It will be a pleasure to support you with advice, sale, installation and maintenance of air conditioning equipment. We have more than 20 years of experience and I guarantee quality service. I am also a wholesale distributor of different brands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1