Chapala.com Webboard

What can you tell me about your neigbourhood?

We found living in Ajijic near the plaza to be too noisy and living in many places outside of village to be too car oriented.  We like Los Salivas which is in upper Ajijic above Sky Gym mall.  Its a little noisy during the boom boom season but the views are outstanding and a need for a car is minimal. Some social meetings go on once a month but its pretty quiet except you can hear the boom booms going off from the Bull ring to Six corners.  Seems no place is perfect but we seem to find a balance here. Houses are seperate and the hill is not too bad to walk up. Walking to plaza takes 15 minutes at a saunter. I think it is one of the hidden jewels in Ajijic.  Now the hill might scare one but if you find a house on Angel Flores its only one hill block up which is not bad. Winds blow much of the time which is pleasant. Local mexican neighborhood is charming and full of very friendly folks. This is our fourth house here and it is our favorite.  The Easter Passion play goes by our house and the locals decorate our neighborhood for Easter. We all make an effort to get along for the most part.  This is not a gated community as all the streets are public. Our house extends to the street but many houses have walls and the house is setback from the walls. I personally enjoy the interactions with all the folks going to the hills.  You can hear distant drumming some nights on the mountains but its not iarritating at least to us.  Good luck on your choice and take your time. Mistakes in real estate in Ajijic can be costly and frustrating like the guy who didn't know that he had a car repair service next door with all the usual air tools making noise.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 6:56 AM, Mostlylost said:

Check out Chula Vista Norte. Reasonable dues. Paver streets (not cobblestone). Houses available from under $200k US to 1.7 million. Great views. Quiet, peaceful, with residents from Germany, Switzerland, Argentina, Belgium, Canada, USA, Mexico.

All is true except that  the lower /middle part (where we rented) is very noisy due all the heavy duty  truck traffic on libramiento (using their air brakes.) . I would not know how the very top part of CVN feels but again, one has to be in good shape if they want to walk.. 

I agree that it is a pretty nice community with lovely views. There is not a perfect neighbourhood Lakeside that fits everybody. We just have to choose our priorities. What irritates me might not be an issue for anybody else.

JMiller, no lake views from Las Brisas, very few or none from Chapala Haciendas. Vista del Lago has some from the upper properties (more expensive, of course).

8 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

JMiller, no lake views from Las Brisas, very few or none from Chapala Haciendas. Vista del Lago has some from the upper properties (more expensive, of course).

True with Los Galapagos also except for the homes on lake front properties of course but you can walk past 3 or 4 neighbours homes and be ON the waterfront seawall while still being in the frac. with your margaritas and enjoying all it has to offer.

On April 15, 2016 at 0:26 PM, J.Miller said:

We are actually interested in Chapala Haciendas, Brisas, Vista Del Lago and going the other way El Tempesque (sp?).  Can anyone with some first hand experience comment on both positive and negative aspects of these communities?

We visit lakeside often and have lived there. Brisas is an excellent choice. Friend has a nice home for sale that is not listed but I can put you in contact with her. Home is about 5 years old and has lake views. She may considering financing for anyone interested.

saludos

Sonia

Sonia please ask your friend to PM me with detail; you never know.

Cookie I have often wondered that same thing; I haven't been out to Los Galapagos or at least a year but have often looked at that club house and wondered what is to become of it.

We live in central Ajijic, a few blocks from the plaza. Yes, it's noisy, but after three years I've adjusted to it and to tell the truth I hardly hear it any more. We have a one story house with a roof patio and have a beautiful view of the hills and a peekaboo view of the lake due to all the trees in the way. I have been in two story houses that have excellent lake views. 

It all depends on what you want from your life here, which of course is why it's great to have such a variety of responses on this thread. We love that we can walk everywhere. The pharmacy, El Torito's grocery, the movie theater, the horse ring, the malecon, the plaza, El Granero (my favorite little food shop), and many good restaurants / cafes are all within 4 or 5 blocks. During the big San Andres festival we walk out every night to join in the festivities. Whenever we're a little restless we pop out to see what's happening in the plaza or on the malecon. All the parades go by nearby. 

A lovely Mexican family on our block has adopted us and we attend all their celebrations, and they come to ours.

We've had no problems with crime, I think in part because our neighbors look out for each other. We've been parking our car on the street for over two years and it's never been bothered, but neighbors have dropped by to let us know we left a window open. 

But yes, it's noisy. We have roosters crowing at all hours, dogs barking, neighbors throwing parties, sounds of construction, trucks with loudspeakers cruising through selling their wares. We get drifts of music from the horse ring, Plaza Bugambilias, Number Four, La Bodega, El Barco, the plaza, although because our bedroom is on the first floor it very rarely keeps us awake. I blanked out the rooster noise within days of moving here. Now I barely notice the rockets or the vendors. But that's me. Other people may find it a source of constant irritation. To me they are the sounds of Mexican life. 

For a few sentences there, Sambrit10, I thought you were living in my house!  Where were you hiding?  Seriously, though, it's great to live near downtown.  We are in a much quieter area, though, without the vendors, roosters and not within earshot of the sounds from the musical venues.  Being in a one story house helps keep the noise down, too.  Yes, such places exist...........you just need to look a lot to find them. I consider myself very lucky and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  Those quieter spots are nearer the lake than downtown but still within easy walking distance and not on the bus or delivery truck lines.  A lake peek is often available from the mirador, but  I like being able to walk to the lake itself rather than just look at it.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

For a few sentences there, Sambrit10, I thought you were living in my house!  Where were you hiding?  Seriously, though, it's great to live near downtown.  We are in a much quieter area, though, without the vendors, roosters and not within earshot of the sounds from the musical venues.  Being in a one story house helps keep the noise down, too.  Yes, such places exist...........you just need to look a lot to find them. I consider myself very lucky and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  Those quieter spots are nearer the lake than downtown but still within easy walking distance and not on the bus or delivery truck lines.  A lake peek is often available from the mirador, but  I like being able to walk to the lake itself rather than just look at it.

I just wanted to add ... I made it sound like we live in a cacophony all the time, but that's not the case. Right now it's afternoon and all I can hear is birdsong. And it's extremely rare for us to have enough noise at night to keep us awake. Of course it's not rocket season, but we've learned to sleep through the early morning rockets. Unfortunately our dogs haven't gotten the memo.

3 hours ago, J.Miller said:

Sonia please ask your friend to PM me with detail; you never know.

Cookie I have often wondered that same thing; I haven't been out to Los Galapagos or at least a year but have often looked at that club house and wondered what is to become of it.

The last time we were there we saw a lot of work that had been done on the club house, but don't know who or what's going on except a new boat ramp and also 4 new homes being built. Something is really going on there. Worth a second look for sure.

Archived