Chapala.com Webboard

Driver's license

Does anyone know if we can renew Mx. dr. licenses in Chapala again?  If not here, then where?  My license expires in June.  I am moving to Nayarit.  I will be there in May could/should I renew there?  Thanks.

I was at the office in Chapala last week.  No renewals there.  You can renew at Plaza las Torres in GDL, on Lazaro Cardenas.    However, if you are moving to another state, you need to have their license.   No tests are required as long as your current license is valid.  If you let your Jalisco license expire,  you will have to take a test.

12 hours ago, ibarra said:

I was at the office in Chapala last week.  No renewals there.  You can renew at Plaza las Torres in GDL, on Lazaro Cardenas.    However, if you are moving to another state, you need to have their license.   No tests are required as long as your current license is valid.  If you let your Jalisco license expire,  you will have to take a test.

No, mine was almost 2 years expired and all I had to do was renew it like everyone else was doing. There was no lecture or anything like a fine I am in PV and it was ez/pz. I was driving on a current Texas license and just decided it was easier to renew my Mexican license than the Texas one..

Jajaja, you have to love Mexico. Intercasa has frequently posted that there is no problem renewing an expired Jalisco license but perhaps up there and maybe folks who don't know the law, well............

They have been known to "enhance their revenues" by whatever means necessary. If it ever happens again, plan a trip to the beach and he can do it here in less than 1.5 hours and you can have dinner on what the retest probably cost.

I see  no one has replied to how far ahead one can renew.  Any info?  There was a time when one could renew in Ocotlan and/or Tjalumulco I think it was, rather than going to Guad.  Does anyone know the answer to that question?

My license had expired by 3 months. I went down to the main office in Guadalajara to renew.  No written test. No driving test. Out in 20 minutes.  It's like the license being expired doesn't mean anything as it does in the US.

I was told by a Mexican friend that I had up to a year after my license had expired to renew it. Now my friend is no expert, I just know that several years ago, I was 8 or 9 months late and that this presented to problem for my renewal.

Don't know where you are moving to in Nayarit, but if in Bahia de Banderas area, the place to get drivers license is in San Vicente, just inland from Mezcales. When I got mine, 3 years ago, there was no written or drivers test required. Just showed them my Canadian license.

On April 20, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Mostlylost said:

Easiest place to re-new Jalisco Dl is in the plaza that adjoins Las Aguilas on Lopez Mateos Sur. Easy parking.  I was sent to the front of the line because I am over 60. Total time 35 minutes, including paying at the building next door. 

Could you give more detailed information about this place. I'd like to find it to renew my license.

On Lopez Mateos Sur behind the Eagle statue.

If you take the Periferico to L.M.S. exit to the right. Pass Home Depot on the right.  In 1.7 kilometers (1.1 miles) are the 2 giant eagle statues on each side of the street. Just before them get on the lateral and in a couple of blocks you can make a u-turn. Behind the eagle there are public offices. Park and ask anyone for transito renovacion de licenencias.

If you use Lazaro Cardenas exit to the lateral just before the Matute Ramos bridge. Stay in left lane. There will be a u-turn under the bridge. Return and turn right to Lopez Mateos Sur. The Eagles are 4km (2,5 mi) ant there is an exit to the lateral in front of the eagle.

Las Aguilas.jpg

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:58 AM, johanson said:

I was told by a Mexican friend that I had up to a year after my license had expired to renew it. Now my friend is no expert, I just know that several years ago, I was 8 or 9 months late and that this presented to problem for my renewal.

Here in our state of San Luis Potosi when getting your first drivers license it is X amount for a 1 to 4 year license. When renewing after that it is a 50% discount with an INAPAM card. It might be worth asking for a discount.

Archived