Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle under nafta

Plumeau1

I bought my Nissan Rogue in Canada in 2014 the 1st number of the VIN is a 5

so made in the USA

If for any reason the nationalized were allowed...

what would be the amount in Mexican Pesos that would be necessary to pay in order of 

being able to apply Jalisco plates on it ?

thank you

If a 2014 vehicle it can not be nationalized. 

Buen Fin

Sonia

Thank you Sonia

I know I will sell my vehicle prior because it is still to new, but if and if only It could be nationalized what would be the going cost of this nationalization ?

thank you

1 hour ago, Plumeau1 said:

Thank you Sonia

I know I will sell my vehicle prior because it is still to new, but if and if only It could be nationalized what would be the going cost of this nationalization ?

thank you

From $2000 to $3000 US.

Also, do not get tempted by EdoMex license plates. I know of expats at lakeside with these plates. 

Numerous expats think that by receiving EdoMex (countryside surrounding Mexico City) license plates their vehicle is nationalized. When the Federales see an expat driving a vehicle with EdoMex plates they are known to be stopping the cars. They want to see your pedimento and sometimes factura and none exist. Four that I know of have been reported and one was confiscated. The cars were near Nuevo Laredo but from SMA. They were stopped by Federales. Three allowed to keep their cars but they entered Mexico as Tourists and gave up their visas and I am told believe put back on foreign plates. This scam is found all over Mexico.

EdoMex plates do not come with a pedimento nor a factura. The fraud from EdoMex is through what we call the Mexican Mafia. In many cases they also reported your vehicle as stolen and then recovered to get these illegal plates.

If anyone believes these EdoMex plates are legit then try and get local state plates and an emissions test. Or take your vehicle to nearest Aduana and ask if your vehicle was nationalized. Then again, maybe do not take your car, just go and ask as your car will be confiscated plus huge fine.

Also, if in an accident excellent chance you will not have insurance and until proven who is at fault and you can pay, jail is not uncommon.

Buen Fin

Sonia

Well, its all a matter of comfort zones. If you choose to live in a bubble of fear and have an obsessive need to do absolutely the right thing, well, you are either an intensely religious person, or completely clueless as to how things function in this country. If you have lived here four or five years, and are now a Permanent Resident, an Immigrant to Mexico, you have a duty to improve your Spanish to as much as you are capable, and a duty to at least understand, without criticism, just how things are going to work here. Both Canada and the U.S.A. expect their new immigrants to at least attempt to "fit in". One example is your use of the word "Mexican Mafia" - a great many Mexicans believe there are links of corruption all the way up to the El Presidente, and they know exactly how to navigate this cesspool, which shows no signs of going away.

There are 2.5 million foreign plated vehicles in Mexico, and an estimated 500,000 entering per year. How many of those do you think are "nationalized" at a cost of $3,000 US to $4,000? It is far cheaper to have the import cloned and, again, this is completely legal. The Mexican plates on what was a foreign plated vehicle, is usually reserved for a commuter or runaround vehicle. If it gets scooped, don't pay the fine, wait for it to go for auction and you could buy it for peanuts. It will probably go to scrap if the wholesale value is under $2,000. Buy a truckload of parts from this scrapyard for real cheap, and put them into a same model, high mileage, Jalisco plated, factura and pedimento paid vehicle. Fresh coat of paint and some detailing, and you now are driving a mint condition, completely legal used vehicle which you can sell or run into the ground. This is just one option, the last one involves what I called a "sub culture" of automobile customizing, buying, trading, backyard mechanics. It is mostly a man's world here in Mexico, so I could easily understand Sonia's reluctance to get involved even if it would be an eyeopener.

On 10/4/2016 at 9:01 AM, Sonia said:

The fraud from EdoMex is through what we call the Mexican Mafia. In many cases they also reported your vehicle as stolen and then recovered to get these illegal plates.

I agree about the EdoMex plates,but I thought the "Mexican Mafia" was a prison gang that originated in California.

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:19 PM, bournemouth said:

!, 4 and 5 come from the US, 3 from Mexico and as stated above, 2 is Canada.

• USA: 1, 4 or 5
  • Canada: 2
  • Mexico: 3
  • Japan: J
  • Korea: K
  • England: S
  • Germany: W
  • Italy: Z
  • Sweden: Y
  • Australia: 6
  • France: V
  • Brazil: 9