Chapala.com Webboard

Large flocks of noisy flyers

cedros

Early this morning it sounded like a train was coming. It was large flock of those medium sized birds that make quite a noise (a whooshing sound) when they fly. Yesterday I thought there was a plume of smoke in the distance. It was again a flock of these birds. Does anyone know what they are? I just see them at certain times of the year. They usually fly fairly high but sometimes they are at ground level. They fly rapidly so it is difficult to identify them.  

Well, Cedros - can you tell us any more about these birds other than size?  Color,  any outstanding markings or possibly a description of their call might help to identify these mystery birds.  People offering suggestions and being told no they're not is kind of a boring game and it could take a long time to figure out the actual type of birds.

A person knowledgeable about birds would know right away what they are. Very fast and noisy (a whooshing sound from their wings that can be heard quite far away) flyers. I've never seen them close enough or long enough to see what colour they are. I've never heard any call from them.

I'll have to read up on chimney sweeps (swifts).

So how do you know what ones they aren't?  Not meaning to criticize, just wondering.  I know for a fact there are huge flocks of the yellow headed blackbirds around the lake at this time of year, and they can make a wondrous amount of noise if they all take off at once.  But if you aren't close enough to see them how can you know if it is not them?  

And man of us are knowledgeable about birds, if given enough information to identify.

Yellow Headed Blackbirds, Swallows, and Starlings fly completely differently than these birds. It could not possibly be them.

I only had time to take a quick look at information on Swifts but it looks like it could be two different species of them that I have been seeing. Swifts are fast flyers and usually fly high so you don't get to see their plumage or hear their calls. You can get an idea of which ones they are by how they fly and flock and where they are living.

Canadian Geese, My Brother lives in San MIquei de Allende, The geese droped down in his yard and pool, Guess about 1,000,  They stayed three days, after they left the back yard was barron of any plants, but he could go into the fertilizer business with everything they left...

4 hours ago, artsnob said:

Canadian Geese, My Brother lives in San MIquei de Allende, The geese droped down in his yard and pool, Guess about 1,000,  They stayed three days, after they left the back yard was barron of any plants, but he could go into the fertilizer business with everything they left...

Canada geese fly in a perfect V formation and you can here their calls for miles no matter how high they're flying.I brought my goose call with me to see if i could chat with them on the lake but there are none here.

1 hour ago, bigd said:

They roost in chimneys therefore the "name"

Chimney swift

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Chimney swift
Chimney swift overhead.jpg
Flying in Texas, United States
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Order: Apodiformes
Family: Apodidae
Genus: Chaetura
Species: C. pelagica
Binomial name
Chaetura pelagica
(Linnaeus, 1758)
map of the Americas showing yellow over much of eastern North America and dark blue in northwestern South America
Range of chimney swift      Breeding range     Wintering range
Synonyms

Hirundo pelagica protonym[2]
Chaetura pelasgia Stephens, 1825[2][3]

The chimney swift (Chaetura pelagica) is a bird belonging to the swift family Apodidae. A member of the genus Chaetura, it is closely related to both the Vaux's swift and the Chapman's swift; in the past, the three were sometimes considered to be conspecific. It has no subspecies. The chimney swift is a medium-sized, sooty gray bird with very long, slender wings and very short legs. Like all swifts, it is incapable of perching, and can only cling vertically to surfaces.

The chimney swift feeds primarily on flying insects, but also on airborne spiders. It generally mates for life. It builds a bracket nest of twigs and saliva stuck to a vertical surface, which is almost always a human-built structure, typically a chimney. The female lays 4–5 white eggs. The altricial young hatch after 19 days and fledge a month later. The average chimney swift lives 4.6 years.

Cookie I didn't see any gaggle there.

A flock flew over my house early this morning when I was watering. Not quite as high this time. I was directly under them so I could see how individuals flew. I will have to take my binoculars out with me when I water in the mornings. There is a bit of warning that they are coming as you can hear their wing beat. 

Archived