Chapala.com Webboard

check for passport renewal

lobos

The US Consulate web page with the passport renewal services in Ajijic has been down since last Thursday. After trying to call them it seems that they will not let the computer put a call through to a live person with a question about passports. I need to know to whom the bank check should be made out to by the local bank. I know the amount and that it has to be in US dollars. I just do not know who. Has anyone a record of the name of the payee so I can get a check cut tomorrow? Thank you.

From their form DS-82 08-2013

FOR ROUTINE SERVICE:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO "U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE." THE FULL NAME
AND DATE OF BIRTH OF THE APPLICANT MUST BE TYPED OR PRINTED ON THE FRONT OF THE CHECK.

They just cashed my check last week, now we'll see how long it takes to get the new one.

CiBanco in Laguna Mall is the bank that issues the checks. They have been doing this a few years and they will insert the correct info when you tell them it is for a U.S. passport. Just did this in December.  Easy.

Renewing your passport through the Consulate here is not done the same as if you lived in the States, as the other poster does.

32 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Interesting, they all go to the same place, I wonder why the difference? A nice little revenue generator, there are 113,431,943 passports in circulation and at $140 each, that's over $15.8 billion dollars.

Passports are good for 10 years, so that be only 1/10th of that amount.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

They know at LCS and definitely at CIBanco. Can't remember exactly, but I'm almost certain it was NOT "US Department of State" when I did mine because I remember it didn't really make sense (to me).

U.S. Disbursing Officer

22 hours ago, giltner68 said:

Interesting, they all go to the same place, I wonder why the difference? A nice little revenue generator, there are 113,431,943 passports in circulation and at $140 each, that's over $15.8 billion dollars.

It costs 2315 pesos for a ten year Mexican passport.

About 4 dollars less than an American passport.

26 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

But then gov is gov wherever you go, 

You got that right.

Just look at what happened to Iceland 's 'PM,who would have thought?

Wow? - that was sudden, 17 days total including mailing and weekends? I noticed they cashed the check right away, but figured I'd be happy to get it back my mid Summer, somewhere I read they were slow this year - or maybe it was slow this century, at any rate that doesn't seem to be the case, now, if' they'd just photoshop the photo?

Thanks Bob, well, as usual, the "duh" is all over me. I looked at the form I submitted and it doesn't list the cost, so I don't know where I found the $140 number. But, in this case, a happy mistake for a change because it will be handy to cross at Acuna from time to time.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:45 PM, giltner68 said:

Thanks Bob, well, as usual, the "duh" is all over me. I looked at the form I submitted and it doesn't list the cost, so I don't know where I found the $140 number. But, in this case, a happy mistake for a change because it will be handy to cross at Acuna from time to time.

I cross into California because I use Volaris to TJ and Mexicali and walk across. I used my passport card before I recieved my RT [Jan. 2012] and then my RP visa/card from INM to recieve FMM tourist cards. The Mexican INM officers can´t stamp a passport card so my passport was never an issue getting stamped out when leaving as it has been in the past using FMM tourist cards several times a year. A decade ago I had to argue with an INM officer leaving Mexicali for 10 minutes to get the one stamp in my paper passport stamped out - never used my paper passport again. No problem. The INM in Mexico have never asked to see my passport or passport card since recieving my RT and now RP card when entering Mexico by foot or leaving on a flight from TJ or Mexicali going south.  I don´t know if arriving in Mexico on an international flight I would have to show INM officers a passport or passport card or just my RP visa/card as well as a properly filled out FMM card as I do by entering by land. I always wondered what they ask to see at airports in that case. I know you need a passport to enter the US on international flights not a passport card. When you look the passport and passport card they have different numbers.

With my passport card I use the "Ready Lanes" when walking across or driving into the US. The passport book doesn´t allow you to use them. In TJ at San Ysidro I walk up past the long line of pedestrians waiting to enter to the Sentri gate, show the ICE officer my passport card and he/she directs me to the short line inside the border crossing compound to the "Ready Lanes" and cross in less than 20 minutes usually. Same when driving except you use the general lanes until close enough to switch over to the left to the "Ready Lanes". You cannot use the Sentri lanes to get up close when driving.

Yes, years ago when I got my FM3 the first time I left I had it stamped out and when I came back in the guy wouldn't stamp me back in, that was the last time I bothered to stop in. I've never had my passport stamped except when flying. The docs I got with the Card says not good for International flights, I guess because they can't stamp it, who knows.

• 9 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎04 at 2:00 PM, giltner68 said:

From their form DS-82 08-2013

FOR ROUTINE SERVICE:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO "U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE." THE FULL NAME
AND DATE OF BIRTH OF THE APPLICANT MUST BE TYPED OR PRINTED ON THE FRONT OF THE CHECK.

They just cashed my check last week, now we'll see how long it takes to get the new one.

These instructions are not applicable to paying for  your renewal at LCS. The Banamex cashier's check was (correctly, for our situation here) made out to "United States Disbursing Officer", but I made the mistake of printing my name and DOB on the check, as I thought that was a good idea in case the check gets detached from my application.  Unfortunately, this was rejected by the consular officials at LCS today. There can be no (additional) writing on the check. They said I was the second person today to have made this mistake. I'm posting this to help others avoid this pitfall.

My suggestion is to check the Consulate's relevant web page,  https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/guadalajara/lake-chapalaajijic-services/

and LCS's relevant web page,  http://lakechapalasociety.com/weebly/us-consulate.php

Has anyone any recent experience getting a Banamex cashier's check refunded / re-done, possibly for a new amount? (I'll wait for a couple weeks to find out if the Consulate's exchange rate will change for the Feb 1 visit.)

In Mexico, you cannot write anything extra on a check. You cannot even correct your address or phone number, so do not try. Anything extra, a tiny part of the check torn, perforated or missing, and it will be rejected. No staples, either.

• 3 months later...

I received this answer about a week ago in response to my inquiry about renewing at LCS.

Guadalajara, ACS to youshow detailsspace.gifshow image slideshow

Good morning,

Please visit our web page in order to find all the information regarding passport renewals at Lake Chapala:

https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/guadalajara/lake-chapalaajijic-services/

Effective immediately, the only payment method for consular services is a Banamex bank check denominated in pesos.

Consulate employees cannot accept cash or credit card payments during our off-site visits, we will accept only peso-denominated Banamex bank checks.  We have confirmed that the Banamex branch in Lake Chapala can issue this type of check.  It is very important that the checks be made out to “United States Disbursing Officer” or they will not be accepted for payment.

The Banamex branch is located at the following address:
Av. 
Francisco I Madero 222,
Col. Centro, 45900 Chapala, Jal., Mexico
Tel:  376 765 2271

Adult Renewals:

Book:                    2,090 pesos

Card:                     570 pesos

Book & Card:      2,660 pesos

Archived