Chapala.com Webboard

Folks marking off no parking areas

HarryB

You'll find that those colored rocks and the newly painted curb on 16 Septiembre were installed in that narrow section, with the blessing of the delegado, so that garbage and delivery trucks come get thru without driving on the sidewalks, over the curbs and into the utility pole. Several cars had been towed previously due to disregarding the red curbs and making turning movements impossible onto Nicolas Bravo.  Parking down Nicolas Bravo or beyond and walking another 50 yards to get to LCS isn't worth the risk on loosing a mirror or worse.  The curbs are painted yellow and red for a reason, backing or entering garages, just because they don't issue parking tickets doesn't mean you can ignore these indicators.  "Illegal and inconsiderate car parkers should expect to take their chances.." is appropriate statement, park at your own risk, you car may or may not be there when you return.

9 minutes ago, gfresh said:

You'll find that those colored rocks and the newly painted curb on 16 Septiembre were installed in that narrow section, with the blessing of the delegado, so that garbage and delivery trucks come get thru without driving on the sidewalks, over the curbs and into the utility pole. Several cars had been towed previously due to disregarding the red curbs and making turning movements impossible onto Nicolas Bravo.  Parking down Nicolas Bravo or beyond and walking another 50 yards to get to LCS isn't worth the risk on loosing a mirror or worse.  The curbs are painted yellow and red for a reason, backing or entering garages, just because they don't issue parking tickets doesn't mean you can ignore these indicators.  "Illegal and inconsiderate car parkers should expect to take their chances.." is appropriate statement, park at your own risk, you car may or may not be there when you return.

am surprised that harry b didnt inform us on this..good idea. too many people parking close to the street corners in general .the buses have a tough time as well.

18 minutes ago, cedros said:

I don't think I've seen curbs painted red. What are they supposed to mean?

Fire hydrant zone?

One of my neighbors has a 40 gallon trash can full of cement in front of his house and a sign on his portón "SE PONCHEN LLANTAS GRATIS",he takes his parking space very seriously.

The problem is that the houses here have one car cocheras but most of the neighbors have 2 or 3 cars.

If you have a garage on a narrow street and a car is parked opposite, making your exit impossible, put your trailer hitch in the receiver before backing out. It will penetrate the offending car without leaving a mark on yours. :ph34r:

Good idea RV. I once had a house close to a business popular with gringos. They enjoyed blocking my garage when at that business. I always enjoyed opening and closing my garage doors against the side of their cars. My Mexican neighbors used to gather and watch with approval.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but along the same lines, one of my HUGE pet peeves are the people that take up 2 parking places!  A little consideration of that might provide another space for someone else...just sayin'.....THINK!!!!

I believe the regulation is that parking within 3 meters of a corner is a violation. I was recently told that if you damage such a violators car it is their responsibility. I don't support anyone when they are in the wrong; me included.When I do wrong, I am fully prepared to pay for it..

several folks have taken the initiative to mark the three meters of a corner in yellow and "se usara gruaria" . If you use you will be towed. In this case Transito can be called to have a vehicle towed.

2 hours ago, HarryB said:

several folks have taken the initiative to mark the three meters of a corner in yellow and "se usara gruaria" . If you use you will be towed. In this case Transito can be called to have a vehicle towed.

What's a "gruaria"?

Don't you need a permit to paint your curb yellow?

On 01/04/2016 at 8:31 AM, AlanMexicali said:

Good one.

I  wish they would target the Texas plates on the freeway when entering town from the north. There is an unwritten rule when a vehicle is on the very short on ramp from a busy blvd. and a parkway that you travel in one of the other 2 left lanes so as to not run the vehicle climbing up the ramp onto the freeway into the ditch. We use it almost daily because it is near where my father in law´s house is. Everytime I have been cut off from entering and had to steer into the shoulder it has been Texas plates on the vehicle doing 80 or 90 MPH. The speed limit is 80 KPH there or 50 MPH.. What type of person who is entering the first area of heavy traffic of a large cty drives that fast in the right hand lane? Texas plates only but other US or Canadian plated vehicles are in the left lanes starting to get used to the heavy traffic and probably slowing down when I see them.

if you look a the death toll on Texas roads you will understand the problem.

23 hours ago, bigd said:
1 hour ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

The last huge day glow rock closest to the corner is difficult to avoid, as it sticks out from the corner enough so that when a car, traveling west on 16 de Septiembre, is turning south onto Nicolas Bravo, they would actually hit the rock as the made the turn...so I moved it back a foot or two.   If a car can hit it, I can imagine what the trash trucks would do attempting to make that turn.

Speaking of bad places to park:  The spot kitty corner across from LCS where the dentist office is now.  Almost impossible for a sedan to get around the corner, let alone a large vehicle..

22 hours ago, gfresh said:

Note this spot is one of three or four spots that area that have a telephone pole on the north side close to the road that makes it so the trucks can't drive by up on the sidewalk to get by the poorly parked cars. This is not about saving spaces for people but keeping traffic moving. Many of our guests to the neighborhood seem to have a parking problem.  This should help me from yelling at LCS "Will the owner of the black so and so please move your car as the trucks can't get by".

16 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

The last huge day glow rock closest to the corner is difficult to avoid, as it sticks out from the corner enough so that when a car, traveling west on 16 de Septiembre, is turning south onto Nicolas Bravo, they would actually hit the rock as the made the turn...so I moved it back a foot or two.   If a car can hit it, I can imagine what the trash trucks would do attempting to make that turn.

Anyone turning south on Nicolas Bravo and hitting one of those rocks would have to jump the curb, ouch...that'll leave a mark. The trash trucks don't turn on 16 Septiembre, they, amazingly, go straight across town on Sept. and Independencia. Talk about parking at your own risk, I've seen the tires on the trash truck push/indent several fenders on cars that haven't parked against the curb on the LCS block. On 16 Septiembre from Miguel Blanco all the way passed Barbara's Bazaar the street is an older street width standard, half meter less than other streets outside the centro core. If you haven't put your tires against the curb, the passenger side is subject to damage, not only from the trash, gas, cfe, delivery trucks, but very huge tapatio SUV with runnings boards. Thus I prefer the side streets and walking the extra block or so and avoiding damage to the car, as opposed to risking the alternative.

On 4/2/2016 at 9:06 AM, gfresh said:

So presumably there was a permit issued for this? If so, aren't they required to post the permit number? If not, what is with the "blessing of the delegado"?

On 4/2/2016 at 8:53 AM, HarryB said:

I have protection on both my front and back bumpers, like state police up north. I never look if someone is blocking my garage. Once, someone was there and got a significant dent in the side of their car. Problem solved

I hope I am reading this incorrectly. Are you saying that you have your bumpers protected so that if someone parks legally in a place that restricts your garage access you can intentionally damage their car? As I said, I hope that I am misunderstanding you.     

It is illegal to block garage access. It is also illegal to park on the wrong side of the street when there is not room for parking on both sides.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Accidents happen.

Tambien, se ponchen llantas gratis.

So if I understand Geezer correctly if you are a Canadian who gets blocked in their garage

it is your fault for buying that house not the ignorant person who parked there.

(edited by mod to remove political comment)

Recognize that in the villages here, streets can be very narrow and it is easy to obstruct parking garages.  Use common sense and courtesy towards people in those areas just as you would want them to do for you.

Topic has been fully aired and is starting to wander.  Closed.

Archived