Chapala.com Webboard

Golf cart - license required?

PLEASE tell that to the many Mexicans driving around in them!!  Or the 4x4's....today I saw a 6 yr old in a mini 4x4 with his dad behind him with 3 kids on his vehicle!!  I was backing into a parking spot...but watching this little kid..just roar by me.  He had no idea of what he was doing or the danger.  

But I fear for myself..if I hit this kid or these non-licenced, no helmet, no insurance drivers!   6 years old???  Driving on a public road with other and many vehicles?  Its mind boggling.....   Surely the parents can be held responsible...but they have to be caught first I guess!!    

Easter weekenders with their toys...risking their own safety and any one else too!!  Yikes..........

What makes you “understand“ that?  Believe me: If you were to run into me or my car with an electric, gasoline, propane, compressed air, or nuclear powered golf cart without registration and insurance, you will go straight to a Mexican jail until I am made 100% whole again, plus expenses, etc., etc.  In Mexico, you are guilty until you prove your$elf innocent.

We had a Yamaha Rhino gas powered and we plated  it but no one would insure it because of the high theft on them.

Friend had an electric golf cart and she tried to get a plate for it and Chapala said they don't plate them, but this was a few years ago.

What one person does or not is irrelevant..I would say you should have a license and insurance to use roads.  If you hit my car , I agree you will be going to jail as is the law, unless you can pay to repair my vehicle. 

Personally I think golf carts on public roads are a hazard..JMHO.

21 hours ago, El Cartero said:

RV what are you saying - that a golf cart is faster then your Smart Car?  Lol

Only the nuclear powered model.  However, our Jalisco plated smart car had to stay in Mexico with a new owner when we migrated northward, where we bought a new Nissan made in Aguascalientes but sold in the USA.

Not necessarily, the Smarts built prior to 2008 were much better.  I've owned one since 2006, bought it new at Eurostern.  It's nimble, powerful, economical, and perfect for the village.  Also, mine has a glass roof, later models have a plastic roof that discolors in our climate.  So, don't paint all Smart Cars with the same brush.  BTW, RVGringos was a 2006 also.  

12 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Not necessarily, the Smarts built prior to 2008 were much better.  I've owned one since 2006, bought it new at Eurostern.  It's nimble, powerful, economical, and perfect for the village.  Also, mine has a glass roof, later models have a plastic roof that discolors in our climate.  So, don't paint all Smart Cars with the same brush.  BTW, RVGringos was a 2006 also.  

I'll go with the experts on this one:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/smart/fortwo-2007-2014

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/11/smart-fortwo-review/

The Honda Fit remains a vastly better choice with near the same fuel economy and far better utility.  Every one I know who has the Fit finds it perfect for the village streets, including a much better ride which is becoming more and more essential as our streets fill up with pot holes.

I'll admit that given how much CR loves econoboxes I figured they'd be all over this one loving it.  Instead they have panned it from the beginning with good reason IMHO.

Of course, vehicle choice is very personal.  The point I want to make is that the Smart Car has not in general received good ratings or reviews from either U.S. or European car experts.  

As far as golf carts go, I can't imagine how they can be driven over our bone-jarring cobblestones and proliferating pot holes without breaking either the cart or one's anatomy. However I have yet to see one in any sort of an accident unlike the constant carnage in front of WalMart. :)

Those nasty smart cars have only been around for 18 years now. Amazing!  Yes, there were changes in 2008 and again in 2015. We agree that the pre-2008 model was the ideal package, but there were changes.....not all of them were necessarily good ones.

I see no one calling the car "nasty" in the reviews or on this board other than you RV.  Your view the pre 2008 models were ideal is not shared by the reviewers from that period and the car continues to review poorly when compared with cars like the Honda Fit or models from Nissan and Toyota.

If saving gas is important, there are a lot of good choices out there that offer very high mileage and superior utility.  If cheap price is important, same comment:

http://www.autobytel.com/top-10-cars/best-gas-mileage-cars/coupes/

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Subcompact-Cars/

I'm glad you liked yours.   

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I'll go with the experts on this one:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/smart/fortwo-2007-2014

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/11/smart-fortwo-review/

The Honda Fit remains a vastly better choice with near the same fuel economy and far better utility.  Every one I know who has the Fit finds it perfect for the village streets, including a much better ride which is becoming more and more essential as our streets fill up with pot holes.

I'll admit that given how much CR loves econoboxes I figured they'd be all over this one loving it.  Instead they have panned it from the beginning with good reason IMHO.

Of course, vehicle choice is very personal.  The point I want to make is that the Smart Car has not in general received good ratings or reviews from either U.S. or European car experts.  

As far as golf carts go, I can't imagine how they can be driven over our bone-jarring cobblestones and proliferating pot holes without breaking either the cart or one's anatomy. However I have yet to see one in any sort of an accident unlike the constant carnage in front of WalMart. :)

What was the 2008 Smart for the Americas was the 2007 Smart for Europe.  Those reviews are not on the car that I have and RV had one like mine, a 2006.   I have friends that have the later model and it doesn't compare well with the earlier version.  MB had to reduce costs and the result was a downgrade in many ways.

Archived