Chapala.com Webboard

MX Customs : Items allowed from USA Vitacost

Momma Bear

I am new to this webboard...looking for advice.  I buy many organic and or gluten free products from Vitacost and Amazon.com when NOB.  If anyone has any idea of how Mexico Customs works, what Items are allowed into Mexico etc, I would be delighted to receive first hand information.  I just paid USD150 to have vitamins shipped Fedex Express from a different company and MX Customs will not allow them in....so must pay for return shipping to USA.  Don't know if there are any reliable "Official lists" of things that are allowed to cross from USA to MX, but would appreciate insights.  Thanks in advance!

When my wife was alive, we would drive to Costco for supplements.  I do not use them, but I did notice that Costco has online shopping within Mexico.  See if their items are what you want, here:  PS: you can change language to English.  I have not used this service (online) but it may be helpful to you. 

http://www.costco.com.mx/view/c/salud-y-belleza/vitaminas-y-suplementos

We have brought in supplements from the US when returning to Mexico by plane and nothing has ever been confiscated. I'm sure there's always the chance that you get an Aduana officer who's having a bad day....

• 2 weeks later...

Supplements, over the counter and prescriptions items (with a doctor's prescription) are allowed to be brought in by you personally either by land or air.  I have checked official websites for this.  We have done this numerous times and have gotten the red light and had lots of supplements and meds in the suitcase.

I don't have the official list of allowed items available in my current location to send to you.  They seem to have a problem with these types of things coming in the mail.

If you can get a copy of that list from the web, I suggest print it out and keep it with you when traveling should you get a customs official who is misinformed.

Guest bennie2

no one ever questioned my vitamins or medications. they did seize a tiny plastic bottle of nail polish remover in guad. a pilot told me it was ridiculous. depends upon who is checking.

2 hours ago, cstone said:

I bring back lots of supplements from the US on a regular basis. Most from CostCo. None with any ingredoents on the "no-no" list. Never a problem in 5+ years. Of course, there's always the first time …..

Where can I find the "no-no" list? Thanks.

I know for sure anything with ephedrine/ephedra like Sudafed and Alka Seltzer Cold Plus or herbals with speed like properties are no-no. Anything that is a controlled substance or pain meds need an official Rx. Nothing with meat or dried meat powder. That, for sure I know.

CoQ10, Vitamins from Walgreen's/CostCo/WalMart/Target, Afrin Nasal Spray, Powdered Magnesium, Powdered Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C powder (left completely intact in original Amazon packing and UNOPENED since it looks like coke) have all come through just fine. Now, mind you, I am not bringing in 6 or more of anything. Nothing that could be construed as "For Sale" purposes. They are on the lookout for that.

You might be able to call Aduana and see if what you want to bring in is on a list of prohibited substances. Try to get it in writing if you have questions.

Sorry, but that's all the help I can be at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2016 at 4:06 PM, barbara habacht said:
On 4/12/2016 at 5:13 PM, Frijoles said:

Where can I find the "no-no" list? Thanks.

Here is the official source:  http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/reinounido/index.php/visas/79#7

For food items, there is another source:  http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=602

This should take the guess work out of it.

look up "items we can bring into Mexico."..choose english and there you are.

• 1 year later...

Archived