Chapala.com Webboard

For Expats Living in Mexico and Central America, Safety Is Not a Big Concern

Alpha1

2 hours ago, El Cartero said:

Article an excellent reflection on reality imo.  I can't imagine anyone who fears living somewhere would stay there. Thus it seems to me the sheer volume of expats in Mexico reflects the sentiment of safety.

Is that the same as the sheer volume of illegals from Mexico in the US seeking refuge from cartel and gang violence reflects the sentiment of safety? Is that an excellent reflection of reality?

The if it bleeds it leads 24/7 news cycle blows everything up to greater than life size. I moved to Mexico from just outside of Detroit. People I meet still comment on how Detroit is was so bad how could anyone live there. 

Anyplace one lives you become familiar with the do's and don'ts of your location. Here in San Miguel people rarely talk about personal safety, They just observe common sense, and do not leave valuables laying around.   

4 minutes ago, Hud said:

Is that the same as the sheer volume of illegals from Mexico in the US seeking refuge from cartel violence reflects the sentiment of safety?

A commentator on CNN the other day said that for every legal headed north, there is a Mexican heading home because of the improving economy here.  

One problem is the anti-immigrant crowd cannot tell a Mexican from a Guatemalan  

• 2 minutes ago, michigander said:

A commentator on CNN the other day said that for every legal headed north, there is a Mexican heading home because of the improving economy here.  

One problem is the anti-immigrant crowd cannot tell a Mexican from a Guatemalan  

If you believe that, let's discuss oceanfront property that I have for sale in New Mexico. The source should tell you all you need to know.

BTW, can you tell the difference between them? My Mexican wife can. :D

Guest bennie2

location location location. safety depends upon your neighborhood. the artical presented both sides, it was fair. media outlets have an agenda. they are beholden to their sponsers. 

4 hours ago, Hud said:

Is that the same as the sheer volume of illegals from Mexico in the US seeking refuge from cartel and gang violence reflects the sentiment of safety? Is that an excellent reflection of reality?

Hud,more Mexicans are leaving the US and returning to Mexico than are coming in.

And the VAST majority that are heading north are just looking for better paying jobs.

That's a fact and that's reality.

Guest bennie2

this year there have been around 60,000 minors (not all are under 18 but let that go) who have entered the US. they are mostly from central america. CCN & major networks dont cover this (as they did last year). it is reported in regional papers, also several refugee websites. those countries are much worse than mexico. then again (to stay on topic), there are very nice safe places in cent amer/southamerica. its all about the area. 

On 3/31/2016 at 8:39 AM, Hud said:
  • If you believe that, let's discuss oceanfront property that I have for sale in New Mexico. The source should tell you all you need to know.

Sometimes, but I really am not interested in the differences.

I have met many Mexicans whom have to returned to Mexico, mostly for jobs. Many during the 08' recession. Of course I do not believe anyone has truly accurate numbers on this subject. It is not like they get counted in either direction.   

On 3/30/2016 at 8:39 AM, Hud said:
  • If you believe that, let's discuss oceanfront property that I have for sale in New Mexico. The source should tell you all you need to know.

More Mexicans are leaving the U.S. than entering and it has been that way since 2008.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/what-we-know-about-illegal-immigration-from-mexico/

"The number of Mexican immigrants living in the U.S. illegally has declined. In 2014, 5.6 million unauthorized immigrants from Mexico lived in the U.S., down by about 1 million since 2007. Despite the drop, Mexicans still make up about half (49% in 2014) of unauthorized immigrants. At the same time, unauthorized immigration overall has leveled off in recent years."

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

"More Mexican immigrants have returned to Mexico from the U.S. than have migrated here since the end of the Great Recession, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of newly available government data from both countries. The same data sources also show the overall flow of Mexican immigrants between the two countries is at its smallest since the 1990s, mostly due to a drop in the number of Mexican immigrants coming to the U.S."

Guest bennie2

pew will reverse the truth. they know you refer to them as reference. immigration is not in same stats as "refugee" status. off topic, but there is no way to tell the difference between mexicans from the south & the countries across that border. same tribes. even the mex immigration cannot. artical in dailymail about human rights abuse. in any event, none of this affects expats retiring to mex/cent amer. does it????  

To be a 100% honest I can't always tell either if they are Mexican or Central or South American.  But there are definite differences, just because we are Anglos we can't always distinguish the differences of the different peoples that comprise Latin America.  There were and are many peoples and many many tribes in the Americas and it would not be fair to say that they all look 100% the same.  Well, we can generally tell the differences between lets say a Russian and an Italian or an Irish and a Catalan, but people in China might not necessarily notice the subtle differences, to them they are all white people.  Many people in Guatemala tend to be shorter and often times darker than the people here in Jalisco.  The native people in Ecuador and Peru tend to be real short and have large chest cavities due to the low oxygen levels of the Andes.  I've notices that people in Mexico often times have dryer, more weathered skin due to the dryness of the climate while people in Venezuela have moist skin and possibly less wrinkles and skin damage due to the humidity and cloudiness.  There are many differences, just we might not be able to spot them easily, if we are from a different culture and racial makeup.

You can tell the difference with your eyes closed if you have an ear for accents.

I can tell the difference between a Central American and a Mexican,a Chilean and an Argentinian,a Cuban and a Salvadoran,a Texan and a Californian,a Bostonian and a New Yorker, a Chilango and a Jaliciense, etc,etc.

A Colombian woman in Utah I was talking with said I must have learned Spanish in Mexico due to my "ranchero" accent..Haha.

Archived