Chapala.com Webboard

Driving US, Mexicsn license

Kyle

I have driven into the US and back for over 12 years...been stopped in Alabama and Mississippi and my Mexican license was never questioned. Some years ago I was asked why the birthday wasn't on it and one State Patrol man asked why the dates were "reversed" but no one ever said...."where is your US license?"

You can get an International Driving Permit, too.
http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don't. Most countries highly recommend an International Driving Permit.
$15 USD

On 3/30/2016 at 6:59 AM, Aquaponicsman said:

“You can get an International Driving Permit, too.“

However, it is not a driving license, nor is it a permit to drive. It simply authenticates your currently held license. These days, it is generally unheard of unless your driving license is printed in something other than the Roman alphabet; ie: various Asian or Arabic scripts, etc.

Folks read the small print.  You (american) cannot use an international drivers license in the USA.  A Canadian could use it in USA. You still have to have some kind of legal drivers license. One just attaches the international drivers license to your regular from wherever license.   

While most places will rent to you in US you will find places like Budget (and others) who told us our Mexican license could be used but it could not be written in Mexican. (yep true) Asked for Manager and he said same thing.  Time to move on down the road laugh out loud.

We drove in Texas on and off for 20 months with our Mexican drivers licenses with no problem.

My husband rented a car in California last week using his Mexican drivers license, again no problem

Warning: car dealers will not let you test drive a car when you have a Mexican drivers license.  Probably illegal but they are quite snotty about it.  We were shopping for a used car at CarMax and when they saw our licenses, they refused to let us test drive.  We went to a new car expo held by Ford - everyone was test driving - again, we were refused when they saw our licenses.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone rented a car at the JFK airport (NY) using their Mexican Drivers license?

Do some car rentals (again JFK) give you a tough time, while others do not?

I suppose a reservation and deposit/CC in advance could speed and smooth that process, just like when living in the US.

Calling the 800 number at report in time... should any black faces appear, is a good idea.

I have heard from friends that they were refused by Enterprise in one state but not by other companies, if fact their insurance cost with their Mexican license was lower than if they'd used a US license.  No explanation for why that is the case.

Archived