Chapala.com Webboard

eye doctors for retina

14 minutes ago, 777 said:

IF... You suspect that you have a detached retina what doctor would you see Lakeside?

Dr. Vargas; comes to his Ajijic clinic on Tuesdays; practice is in Hospital de Hierro in Guadalaja; does surgery there; excellent facility. If emergency basis, I'd head for that hospital  and have them call him in.  Wish you the best.

If you suspect a detached rentina, or even one beginning to detach, do not wait another moment. Call your retinologist (mine was Dr. Roig, enriqueroig@retina.com.mx or (333) 641-2776), who has offices at Puerto de Hierro and also practices at Clinica Santa Lucia, and has repaird both my rentinas after collapse. The quicker the treatment, the better the hope for avoiding blindness.

Good luck.

Dr. Rios.

I have his emergency # in case that should happen. He told me to call him anytime since it is very serious.

This happened to me. I called Dr. Rios on a FRI afternoon and was told to come to his office immediately. He stabilized the retina in his office, and I was in surgery in a state of the art opthamological clinic in GDL on Monday morning. Non ivasive procedure was possible because it was caught early.

Whatever you do and whomever you call, if you suspect a detaching retina get help IMMEDIATELY.

His office is in Plaza Montana ((corner of Colon & Carratera)). His name is Dr.Rigoberto Rios Leon. He studied in Italy and Germany and did a post Doc fellowship in the U.S. His office is called Alta Retina. The office phone number is 766-1521. He speaks English fluently, as does his receptionist and the onsite Optician. He also has an office in Guadalajara, does surgery out 

Emergency number is:  331 162 16457

Be aware that others have posted about a negative experience with Dr. Rios.

I have had nothing but what I consider to be excellent care in state of the art facilities, with a Dr. who spends as much time with me as I need. 

Whomever you choose, I urge you NOT to put this off.

777 has viewed this thread in the last few hours, but has not had the courtesy to respond to the suggestions offered. I wonder if this is a troll.

If it is a genuine request: Retinal detachments should be attended to within 24 hours. Time is running out............

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

777 has viewed this thread in the last few hours, but has not had the courtesy to respond to the suggestions offered. I wonder if this is a troll.

If it is a genuine request: Retinal detachments should be attended to within 24 hours. Time is running out............

1 hour ago, 777 said:

Thank you all we are following your sugestions.

Thank you RVgringo - We are helping a friend whose husband died this morning! Sorry I have not answered you!

Well RVGRINGO, it seems as though you owe 777 an apology.  And since you were so eager to call him out as a troll, I hope your apology is made just as public as your putdown!

Just an FYI to anyone following the thread who hasn't experienced a detaching retina, here are the symptoms from Mr Google. I spent a fair amount of time trying to clean my darn contact lenses before I went to the eye doctor and had it lasered back in place.

Symptoms include a sudden or gradual increase in either the number of floaters, which are little “cobwebs” or specks that float about in your field of vision, and/or light flashes in the eye. Another symptom is the appearance of a curtain over the field of vision. A retinal detachment is a medical emergency.

Hi, 777. I was suspicious of your absence, but now understand that you may have been overwhelmed by multiple demands.  I hope that the eye problem is resolved, and am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Apology accepted! My friend had all the symptoms of a retina detachment. The problem turned out to not be serious. The eye doctor did say that anyone over 50 should have an eye exam every year! Even with this scare, I probably will not go yearly! Stay well... RVgringo!!!

Archived