Chapala.com Webboard

Landlord Liability?

Bookworm

Who is ultimately responsible if a tenant, unbeknownst to landlord, has a telephone/internet line installed to a casita and then skips town leaving a debt tied to that line?  I think I know the answer but looking for others input.  I think it is probably the property owner, correct?  Can I find out the particulars of that installation by going to TelMex with property ownership proof? TIA

Only the tenant. I moved into a house after another tenant and he left 6000p phone bill. I went to Telmex and explained he had moved. They stopped sending bills and landlord never paid anything, nor I.

When we moved into our rented house 4 years ago, previous tenant had had phone line in THEIR name, and left a balance due.  After a few months, went to Telmex to explain situation. They said "don't worry -- we send bills for one year, and then we go after them via our nation-wide system".

Of course, if people have left Mexico, that's another story..... but landlord is still not responsible.

5 hours ago, Natasha said:

When we moved into our rented house 4 years ago, previous tenant had had phone line in THEIR name, and left a balance due.  After a few months, went to Telmex to explain situation. They said "don't worry -- we send bills for one year, and then we go after them via our nation-wide system".

Of course, if people have left Mexico, that's another story..... but landlord is still not responsible.

The landlord is not reponsible except they will not be able to get service from that company in their name until the balance is paid or as Hud mentioned resolved it with managment at a company office. Did Hud get service from Telmex then in his name?

You're right, AlanMexicali, but since this particular landlord  always has the tenant own their own phone ( to avoid exactly this issue) it's not a problem. And since we will never leave him in the lurch, he won't have to worry if he ever wants to occupy this house himself in the future.

On 2016-03-26 at 1:08 AM, AlanMexicali said:

The landlord is not reponsible except they will not be able to get service from that company in their name until the balance is paid or as Hud mentioned resolved it with managment at a company office. Did Hud get service from Telmex then in his name?

Telmex accounts are tied to the account holder, not the address. If you move within the area, you can ask to take the same number with you to the new location. As a property manager, I had a tenant move out leaving an outstanding bill, the next tenant was able to get a hookup for the same address in their own name. Mention of the outstanding bill from previous tenant never came up.

Archived