Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican cell phone

bmh

I am on the pay as you go Amigo plan and when I am up north and someone wants to reach me, if I leave my phone on, all they do is simply dial the same number they do when I am down here.  I try to keep the conversation short as I pay for any added costs created by the phone being out of Mexico.

I call French cell phones on a regular basis and I do not have a proble.  but I am trying to call this one and it does not work..Your wife in Texas has a Mexican phone with which company?The phone I am calling is on Movie Star.

This is sadly a common issue when traveling abroad and does not seem to have an easy solution, even if the out of country package is purchased ahead of the trip that is supposed to ensure uninterrupted service. When this happens to me, and it does each time I travel, I find that texting sometimes gets through. You can also email them if they have a smart phone. That too should go through if their phone is connected to wifi up there. Finally, try signing up for "Whatsapp".

Text to the same number you normally use when they are in Mexico. Good luck and if you find a solution PLEASE let us all know. Try being the traveler using your Mexican cell when out of country to call someone in Mexico who is on a Canadian or US cell phone. Woo hoo.

3 hours ago, bmh said:

I am on the same plan, I do not know about the person I am calling. I have been communicating with that person via whatsap but I cannot reach that person on the phone.

I have a TelCel plan that includes Mexico, US & Canada. I use it when in the US all the time and people call me. It may be that it is Moviestar issue.

I have the same Telcel plan. I even go to Telcel ahead of travel to advise them of my travel plans and see if any additional coverage is needed. I buy whatever they recommend. All the same it works only sporadically when I travel. I have enlisted the help of Telcel many times pre-, during and post travel to solve the issue and they assure me there is no problem, it is the other service providers problem. The other service provider assures me it is a telcel issue. Meantime the dog keeps chasing the tail. Rogers did say once that Telcel was litigating an issue with them. Maybe that is the crux of the problem?

So please post any solutions. Thanks

11 minutes ago, Semalu said:

I have the same Telcel plan. I even go to Telcel ahead of travel to advise them of my travel plans and see if any additional coverage is needed. I buy whatever they recommend. All the same it works only sporadically when I travel. I have enlisted the help of Telcel many times pre-, during and post travel to solve the issue and they assure me there is no problem, it is the other service providers problem. The other service provider assures me it is a telcel issue. Meantime the dog keeps chasing the tail. Rogers did say once that Telcel was litigating an issue with them. Maybe that is the crux of the problem?

So post any solutions. Thanks

Are you sure you are using the correct phone numbers when calling?  It is different depending on where you are calling from and to.

When in US calling US only use 10 digit number.  When in US calling Mexico you need International access code and country code.

If calling from US to Mexican cell, must add and extra 1 after the country code.  Calling from Mexico to US you need the international access code and country code.  

It can be tricky at first, but mine works fine.

I am calling a Mexican cell phone  in the US from my house in Chiapas where I have Telmex.  The cell user hhas movie star. I call telmex to find out how to dial and it is the same as dialing any cell phone 045  plus the number..I am not getting through and the person with the Mexican cell phone tells me via whatsapp to my Mexican cell phone that my calls from my house on Telmex are not getting to him.. That is my problem and no one so far has given me an answer Except that maybe it is a movie star issue.. 

I am not using a cell phone to call the US but TelMex , the other person in the States has a moviestar cel phone..

I have a telcel phone that I first used to call the Mexican phone and the connection was terrible so I tried to call frommy house phone and I cannot do it..

I have been in Mexico using cell phones for 15 years, call Europe from my house or my cell phone without any problems but this one , I cannot figure out.

I feel your pain bmh. I am assuming your friend bought an international package prior to traveling in which case, I cannot help either. Maybe ask him if he has a plan for international use? The other issue seems to have nothing to do with mis-dialing or having or not having the right plan. I know I have experienced some countries or regions  where the phone works fine, others where it is a struggle to connect even to a wifi service. London is a case in point. They have a very complicated cell phone service structure that has divided the city up almost on a block by block basis (much like the cable TV guys here have their districts divided between Megacable and Telecable). In London you can literally walk off the grid while talking on your phone just by crossing the street. It is bizarre enough that I wonder if it is related to legal issues between service providers, ie: do they or do they not have a service sharing agreement in place.

Maybe our resident wizard Mike the computer guy could reign in and provide insight to your specific problem since it is different, relating to a land line trying to call a cell phone. That is, providing he is not wisely away on holiday during this very crowded holiday weekend!

My friend says he has a plan for the US so I think you are right Semalu some places work and some do not: Chiapas Chicago is not so good..

The reason I tried from my house phone is that my cell phone does not work in my house. We are surrounded by high mountains and the signal come and go. I also have an adobe house with some regular inside wall and I think that is not helping either.

I have the amigo plan for US and so on that is not the problem since I am calling from a land line. It is interesting because on my cell the whatsap works so we can communicate but not live on the phones.. Meanwhile I communicae with Taipai and France without any problems from my house even if I call cell over there.

I have a T-Mobile number when in the US and just swap out my TelCel simm card for the TM one. I have a "pay as you go" plan with TM to keep my number and that costs $3/mo. A couple days before I go up there, I put at least $60 in the account and change from the pay as you go to the data, text and phone package at $60. People here can call that US number from Vonage, MajicJack or Telmex land line. And people up there can call me on the US number as usual. 

Cell phones have a setting where you select a carrier or set it on "automatic" when roaming. If the phone is set to "Movistar" when in the US it cannot roam and pick up a US carrier. It has to be set to "Automatic" to roam outside of Mexico.

On 3/25/2016 at 8:22 PM, Gilligan said:

Are you sure you are using the correct phone numbers when calling?  It is different depending on where you are calling from and to.

When in US calling US only use 10 digit number.  When in US calling Mexico you need International access code and country code.

If calling from US to Mexican cell, must add and extra 1 after the country code.  Calling from Mexico to US you need the international access code and country code.  

It can be tricky at first, but mine works fine.

This just confuses the issue. When using cellphones, you do not need to know the international access code for the country you are in. Just always dial +(country code)(10digit number). Your phone will figure out where you are and replace the + with the correct international access code. In my phone book (in my phone) all mexican numbers start with +52, all US/Canadian numbers start with +1, all UK numbers start with +44, and so on. If you are in the country you are calling, The +(country code) is replaced with nothing. No matter where I am in the world, these numbers will correctly connect with no further knowledge needed.

Archived