Chapala.com Webboard

Gathering Telmex Internet Speed Comparisons

23 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Semalu, try a factory reset: hold a pen or paper clip in the tiny Reset hold on the back of the modem until the lights flash and go out, about 30-40 seconds. This is the first step in repairing modem issues caused by power outages and other line problems.

D'Oh! Thanks Mike, Did that and now I am getting better. Still not as fast as before the breakdown. I am already in contact with Telmex.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/23/2016 at 5:27 PM, utilitus said:

Can't find any mention here of performance levels in San Juan Cosala, including the Racquet Club (though my interest is in service about a mile west of that).  There is an internet salon on Carr 23 in SJC, and evidence that 'Ciber' @ 10mbs (at least at one time) was available near 23.  Street level Google images show what appear to be WiMax or similar masts up the hill from 23 - any thoughts?  Thanks!

Since I currently have no tested customers in San Juan, unless someone here posts their stats, that information will obviously be lacking. As to towers, Laguna still has them, and a long-defunct local company that also erected towers (mostly on the roofs of homes in exchange for free service). Some of those transponders are probably still emitting a (useless) signal.

15 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Since I currently have no tested customers in San Juan, unless someone here posts their stats, that information will obviously be lacking. As to towers, Laguna still has them, and a long-defunct local company that also erected towers (mostly on the roofs of homes in exchange for free service). Some of those transponders are probably still emitting a (useless) signal.

CG, thanks - it's a bit surprising that the Racquet Club is in(tele)communicado. - probably dismal service.  There is a fair amount of housing development proceeding in and planned for the hills of SJC, and it will be interesting to see how it will all work out in a few years.  If there is cable along 23, I might get cute and look into one of those supercharged WiFi directional extenders for say 700mt..  Have to decide to build a joint first, and net QOS is a deep consideration.  Thanks again.

No, but I don't automatically get speed reports, unless I'm working at a place and think to check myself. That's why I asked here, to get a better overall picture. It just means not too many people in the RC are readers of this webboard.

From RC my speed for both laptop and desk top is:  download 8.11 - upload 0.60

I'm still with the old rate of $389 that I subscribed to 10 years ago.

My desktop reacts instantly but my laptop is soooo slow. How can this be explained. Even new, with hardly anything on it, my laptop was slow no matter where I am.

Amount of stuff on a hard drive bears little relation to speed, until it's actually 98% full. PMd you.

Interestingly, the state of the computer can have some bearing on Internet speed, particularly older PCs. Not so much these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in east end of San Antonio Tlayacapan.  My TelMex speeds are always 2.99 - 3.11 down and .28-.32 up.  This is unchanged from last year and unchanged after the TelMex upgrade. I pay 389, and was told paying for a more expensive package would not result in any change.  Ricardo at TelMex tells me there isn't anything else they can offer.  Big Sigh!!!!  East end of San Antonio must have a lot of users or be just too far from the server to get anything faster.

Regardless I am looking to try something else... specifcally at buying either  TP Link Tl-R470t+ router or Ubiquiti EdgeMax  EdgeRouter Lite 3-port GbE and having TelMex install a second line so I can try pairing / bonding or at least balancing the speed / bandwidth I need to use over Skype and VSee.  I'm not sure if I can config the TelMex modem I have to bridge mode (seems necessary for bonding) but I intend to try.  At least in theory one of these boxes, plus a second TelMex line and modem should give me close to double what I have now for at least some things. My VPN service look like they could become history if I go with one of these boxes and a second line.

Anyone else know of how to go about getting more speed out of TelMex?  I was also with TeleCable for about 6 months - but just could never depend on their service as their speeds were all over the map and also kept repeatedly dropping my connection... so they are out of the question at least in my case.

Thanks for doing the survey ComputerGuy,

Terry

Update to my earlier post: turns out we are pretty regularly getting ~11mbps down at our new location (Zapata between E Rosas & Aldama); it's not time-dependent.

11:50a on a Wednesday:  11.05 down, .56 up

This survey could be very useful for newcomers who care about higher internet speeds; one can estimate likely speeds in a given location *before* moving in and trying it out. Thanks for putting it together, Mike.

• 1 month later...

Just ran a test in West Riberas, down from the 7-11. An older Huawei modem is installed: reliable model, too, as it consistently gets 5Mbits down. Used my own Huawei modem, tweaked for me by TelMex, and an Arcadyan modem fresh out of the box.

Multiple tests showed speeds between 7.5 and 9Mbits down, simply be replacing the modem. Once a new modem is installed in that house, a quick call to TelMex to set up the internal parameters should result in a speed of 10Mbits down consistently. (Interestingly, speeds differed depending on whether I checked on Internet Explorer or Firefox, so there is some intrinsic damage to the Windows files on that particular computer.)

UPDATE: As predicted, a newer Arcadyan modem was put in a few days later, and the DL speed is now consistently 10Mbps.

• 3 weeks later...

around the corner from LCS 1/2 by from lake. 

At 7:30am using speedtest got upload 5.5 download 1.86

10 min later also with speedtest upload 4.66 and .49 and right after using speed of.me got upload 3.56 and upload .56

just FYI using my cell phone as a hot spot for Telcel got D 11.79 and U 4.93. 

Our computer is very slow to connect to different sites. Saw that a neighbor of ours also near

LCS is getting over 10 (and we have the new modem) computerguy do you think we should call Mexico City?

Yes, call Mexico City. *2222. But part of the problem could be your PC, depending on its age and the status of the drivers for Internet, as well as "Internet junk memory" that has accumulated. But best first step is to call Mexico City and see what they say, and save a litte money on having someone come over to check it out.

Lower Chula Vista:

Download between 1.6 and 1.85 Mbps  -----  Upload between 240 and 270 kbps

$389 package  ------  Been this slow for the 2 years I've lived in this neighborhood

Just got back from Seattle area. The computer I worked on had 170 down with Cable modem

13 hours ago, arlenes said:

around the corner from LCS 1/2 by from lake. 

At 7:30am using speedtest got upload 5.5 download 1.86

10 min later also with speedtest upload 4.66 and .49 and right after using speed of.me got upload 3.56 and upload .56

just FYI using my cell phone as a hot spot for Telcel got D 11.79 and U 4.93. 

Our computer is very slow to connect to different sites. Saw that a neighbor of ours also near

LCS is getting over 10 (and we have the new modem) computerguy do you think we should call Mexico City?

LCS is getting 10 with a cable modem. Just added a few months ago.  I believe the other two DSL lines  into LCS are 5 unless they were upgraded magically like my 5 line which became 8 all on its own using the same old H modem.   Now I am not an IT guy at LCS so I can't swear about my info but I am pretty sure Cable modem is 10 service you are talking about and a Telecable product.

• 5 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:05 PM, ComputerGuy said:

This one is from my son in Ottawa; its sole purpose, to pee me off.
 You watching, Pete?

Speed.jpg

Yes I am watching, and am terribly jealous up here in Seattle for a couple of weeks. Every time I come up North, I turn on my Wave Internet and am charged $60 US per month for only about 91 Mbps down by about 82 Mbps up.  This is internet only, not phone or anything else.  In Mexico I pay $389 pesos (about $19 US) per month and get a great deal for what I pay for, you know unlimited international and national long distance calls + + and internet. At $389 pesos I am supposed to get up to 10 Mbps down and when I enter my modem it is set as 9.97 down by maybe  0.86 Mbps  up. When doing a speed test I get about 8 down by 0.75 up.

They tell me that sure I could pay more and receive faster speed because of the good quality of my connection and the fact that I live close to my DSLAM collection point, but they simply don't have the capacity to offer me a faster speed but hopefully next year. They know me and we laugh when I remind them that they said the same thing last year

ChicagOntarian  You mentioned a very slow speed and then quoted $428 instead of $389, which makes me think you are being charged for a $39 peso insurance of some sort, that most of us, upon discovery are cancelling.

Now to your question. We could give you a better answer if we knew where you lived, you know, the name of the neighborhood. But I am betting that if you were to ask your neighbors that they are getting a much faster speed.

AT&T LTE 4G  (not Telmex)  Ajijic near el Torito.

Screenshot_20170107-133325.png

Archived