Chapala.com Webboard

No Longer wanting to be Permanente

sunshine1

I think I may know the answer, but just checking.   Have Permanente status, sold our house here, so no longer have any reason to be permanente and want to come back to Mexico with our foreign plated vehicle for 3 or 4 months, as we now rent.   Do we just enter Mexico on tourist visas and not show our permanente cards.  How does that work.......

I think you officially turn in your Residente Permanente visa/card to an INM officer when leaving Mexico. Possibly to a Mexican Consulate outside Mexico will do also.  Some have said the card is the property of the Mexican Immigration. That way they will be able to enter that you are no longer are a resident of Mexico into their database.

10 hours ago, sunshine1 said:

I think I may know the answer, but just checking.   Have Permanente status, sold our house here, so no longer have any reason to be permanente and want to come back to Mexico with our foreign plated vehicle for 3 or 4 months, as we now rent.   Do we just enter Mexico on tourist visas and not show our permanente cards.  How does that work.......

Interesting..congratulations on selling the house ....maybe this is the best choice for a significant number of folks  to enjoy Mexico

You can turn in your PR visa as you exit. But, anytime a visa holder enters Mexico with a FMM marked tourist that is what they are.

I have seen a few do this by accident or when they lost their visa when outside Mexico and entered with an FMM marked "tourist". 

Having processed about 1000 visas I think I have seen it all.

Happy Easter

Sonia

I must leave Mexico next month with my motorhome and towed car, because my Residente Temporal is expiring, it cannot be renewed here, and I cannot convert to Residente Permanente because my car (whose VIN begins with J) cannot be registered in Mexico.  The last time I left Mexico with my car at the Nuevo Laredo Columbia Crossing, I had to register my departure with Migracion, while retaining the document showing my immigration status, before I surrendered my Temporary Import Permit and decal at Aduana.  I have read on this webboard that one now surrenders one's TIP and decal at a booth before the bridge.  If I have to surrender my Residente Temporal card before I surrender my TIPs, how can I show that despite the expiration dates on them, they remained valid because my immigration status remained valid?  Will I receive from Migracion a receipt for surrendering my Residente Temporal card that will show that my TIPs remained valid because my immigration status remained valid?   

5 hours ago, gypsyken said:

I must leave Mexico next month with my motorhome and towed car, because my Residente Temporal is expiring, it cannot be renewed here, and I cannot convert to Residente Permanente because my car (whose VIN begins with J) cannot be registered in Mexico.  The last time I left Mexico with my car at the Nuevo Laredo Columbia Crossing, I had to register my departure with Migracion, while retaining the document showing my immigration status, before I surrendered my Temporary Import Permit and decal at Aduana.  I have read on this webboard that one now surrenders one's TIP and decal at a booth before the bridge.  If I have to surrender my Residente Temporal card before I surrender my TIPs, how can I show that despite the expiration dates on them, they remained valid because my immigration status remained valid?  Will I receive from Migracion a receipt for surrendering my Residente Temporal card that will show that my TIPs remained valid because my immigration status remained valid?   

In Nuevo Laredo, nothing has changed. I still turn all mine in under the bridge, the TIP first, then the Tourist Permit inside the building, after I go get my $300 back in cash.

You say your Residente Temporal is expiring- will it be expired when you cross the border? I have never heard of anyone having to turn in their valid residency papers (as opposed to tourist visa) when leaving the country, unless they plan on giving up that status and re-entering as a tourist.

I suggest just letting your visa expire after you exit Mexico. Do be sure to turn in your TIP for the vehicles, however. 

Should you ever return to Mexico, simply fill out an FMM as a tourist.

On 3/27/2016 at 11:35 AM, gypsyken said:

Ken, another thing to think about... (as if you need more!).  One must have the ORIGINAL TIP paperwork.... the sheet that the sticker came on.... in order to cancel the TIP at the border. If you don't have it, you might as well just forget that effort as well as turning in your expiring Temporal. But, since you say you'll not be coming back into Mexico anyway, no harm no foul.

Also, is your name on both the Motorhome AND the Honda?  Did they come in 'together'?

Archived