Chapala.com Webboard

Easter Holidays

My information is that there are no paid holidays for Easter time, but our gardener and others have other information.  Is anyone sure what is required? 

Legal Holidays – During the course of a calendar year, the following days are statutory paid days off as per article 74 of Mexican labor law:

1. The 1st of January; (New Year's day)
  2. The first Monday of February in commemoration of the 5th of February; (Constitution day – effective Jan. 18, 2006)
  3. The third Monday of March in commemoration of the 21st of March; (Benito Juarez's birthday – takes effect in 2007.)
  4. The 1st of May; (Labor Day)
  5. The 16th of September; (Independence Day)
  6. The third Monday of November in commemoration of the 20th of November; (Revolution day - effective Jan. 18, 2006)
  7. The 1st of December every six years, when it corresponds to the transition of the Federal Executive Power (when the new President takes office)
  8. December 25th – Christmas

Mexico is big on separation of church and state, so no religious holidays are observed, so no extra pay or time off is required. HOWEVER, it is good to be sensitive to the culture here. Me, I told my maid and gardener that they had Good Friday off with pay (regular pay) and that I would see them on Monday. BTW, Mexico just celebrated Benito Juarez Day last Monday, and that IS a Federal holiday, requiring extra pay for staff who work then.

Monday was Benito Juarez, a national holiday. Maundy Thursday and Good Friday are bank holidays only.

Whoops, my post crossed with JayBear, who's consideration for the concerns of her workers is --to me-- a good thing.

4 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Monday was Benito Juarez, a national holiday. Maundy Thursday and Good Friday are bank holidays only.

Bank, local and state and federal government paid holidays also. Many businesses and offices will be closed plus schools and universities obviously included.

Sorry, Alan, I figured that was understood when I said "bank" holiday. Back home, a bank holiday is always a gov't holiday.

Of course if you've been driving around here lately, you know the traffic is a tad psychotic because everyone has started their holidays. Monday being a day off, many tapatios took last Friday off, some even Thursday afternoon, to get in an extra-long weekend. And then because this coming Thursday and Friday could easily be days off, why not stay Tuesday and Wednesday? Then of course there is Easter. So we can expect nutso traffic until after Easter, when many of the snowbirds will have left, and lakeside dries up.

Thank you for great clarification.  And, I had thought double pay if someone works a legal holiday (and this seems to be what my employee thinks too), but someone told me it is triple pay.  Any clarification on this? 

7 minutes ago, Ajijic2013 said:

Thank you for great clarification.  And, I had thought double pay if someone works a legal holiday (and this seems to be what my employee thinks too), but someone told me it is triple pay.  Any clarification on this? 

Triple pay.

26 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

The term "bank holiday"  is a British term and is not common or used by people from the USA.  Also, we refer to our electricity provider as "the electric company,"  not "hydro."

Hydro is used in Canada also.

Yes, I should have said that.  I don't think the Brits use the term.  Computer Guy is Canadian and he thought everyone understood "bank holiday."  I thought I'd ad to the lexicon of term that "everyone"  doesn't understand!  Kinda like "cottage."  A term not used in the USA for a weekend getaway house.  More likely, "beach house,"  "fishing shack," or "ski cabin," 

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sorry, Alan, I figured that was understood when I said "bank" holiday. Back home, a bank holiday is always a gov't holiday.

Of course if you've been driving around here lately, you know the traffic is a tad psychotic because everyone has started their holidays. Monday being a day off, many tapatios took last Friday off, some even Thursday afternoon, to get in an extra-long weekend. And then because this coming Thursday and Friday could easily be days off, why not stay Tuesday and Wednesday? Then of course there is Easter. So we can expect nutso traffic until after Easter, when many of the snowbirds will have left, and lakeside dries up.

Exactly correct. I spent last week in Puerto Vallarta. I went on ETN bus lines. I left Fri. at 1:30 PM. The ETN terminal in PV was jammed. The ETN bus terminal in Zapopan was jammed at 7:30PM. The freeways in Guadalajara were stop and go. The bus had no room at the first class terminal in Guadalajara ,Camionera Nueva,  so we got off at the second class terminal, also jammed and  chaotic, across the parking lot and had to walk to the 1st class terminal to get our bus to SLP. Walked in there about 8:30PM. Jammed, children crying and screaming, dogs barking, people blocking the whole lobby and many "con permisos" later I made it through to the ETN/Primera plus etc. lounge - no seats, aisles full of people standng, the window looking out to the platform lined with people outside. I went outside to the platform, total chaos, frantic passengers and staff, many running around and some of the busses were not getting the girls with the carts to take tickets and hand out drinks and food so many were leaving late and mine arrived 20 minutes late and left 35 minutes late, a first in over a decade. A lot of fun to see and be a part of.

FELICIDADES and CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Alan Mexicali,  on the last line of your post   "....A lot of fun to see and be a part of. ....."  

Very refreshing and nice to see when someone "gets" the good in the Mexican experience.

4 hours ago, El Saltos said:

The term "bank holiday"  is a British term and is not common or used by people from the USA.  Also, we refer to our electricity provider as "the electric company,"  not "hydro."

Yes, you nailed it, I'm Canadian, eh? But I believe there are more Canadians here than Americans these days... so my choice of terminology takes precedence. (Oh, and fishing shack would therefore be ice fishing shack.)

5 hours ago, Ajijic2013 said:

Triple pay--law states double pay IN ADDITION to regular pay for federal holiday.

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yes, you nailed it, I'm Canadian, eh? But I believe there are more Canadians here than Americans these days... so my choice of terminology takes precedence. (Oh, and fishing shack would therefore be ice fishing shack.)

You're right, but after the "Flockoff"  we'll be back to about 50/50.  I love "Ice fishing shack!" 

My property manager says that on most Federal holidays one only gets double time but that on Dec 25 and Jan 1, the employee would receive triple time. Several business owners also stated that there workers only received double time during the last holiday (Benito Juarez day)

If what she stated is wrong, could you please provide me with correct information, you know like the regulation written in Spanish.

LEY FEDERAL DEL TRABAJO

Artículo 73.- Los trabajadores no están obligados a prestar servicios en sus días de descanso. Si se quebranta esta disposición, el patrón pagará al trabajador,

independientemente del salario que le corresponda por el descanso, un salario doble por el servicio prestado.

Artículo 74. Son días de descanso obligatorio:

I. El 1o. de enero;

II. El primer lunes de febrero en conmemoración del 5 de febrero;

III. El tercer lunes de marzo en conmemoración del 21 de marzo;

IV. El 1o. de mayo;

V. El 16 de septiembre;

VI. El tercer lunes de noviembre en conmemoración del 20 de noviembre;

VII. El 1o. de diciembre de cada seis años, cuando corresponda a la transmisión del Poder Ejecutivo Federal;

VIII. El 25 de diciembre, y

IX. El que determinen las leyes federales y locales electorales, en el caso de elecciones ordinarias, para efectuar la jornada electoral.

The full law, in Spanish, can be found here.

http://cgservicios.df.gob.mx/prontuario/vigente/r222601.htm

Archived