Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing in desktops...?

k2family

We are leaving to visit family soon after our first 6 months here, and then returning for another 6 months (to make sure we get the "full" experience of a complete year). The first time, we just brought down our laptops, but, since my husband is a computer coder, he REALLY wants to bring our desktops back down when we return. They are mini-towers (able to fit in our carry-on luggage) but they are not off-the-shelf units - he built them both himself (some of the parts were purchased new, other parts were scavenged from our older computers). Does anyone have any *current* advice on whether or not we'll be able to bring these into the country and, if so, what we should expect to pay? (We can print out invoice receipts for the newer parts, but I'm concerned I won't be able to find anything for the "scavenged" pieces...) They should be under the $3000 per person limit (if that's still the current limit for computer items), and they are both at least a year old or older.

You can bring in pretty much anything you want that's of a personal nature. This has never changed. I have never been hassled, and I have brought over more stuff than you can imagine. As long as it doesn't look like you are trying to sell something, you'll be fine. But yes, there is always a slim chance you will get a guard in a crusty mood.

I think the customs form says you can bring in one laptop and one desktop per person for personal use. Computer guy is right - I have brought down lots of stuff and never had a problem. I think the only issue would be if you had a number of computers - especially of they are new or appear to be new. My wife and I generally have two laptops, two iPads and at least one Kindle when we fly back and forth. No hassles at all.

If you just have two of them and they don't appear to be new or something you are bringing down to resell you shouldn't have any problem.

Archived