Chapala.com Webboard

Kitchen Butcher Block Counter Top

We had the carpenter shop in Chapala, across the highway from Soriana, build a table top for an island worktable. The shop next door is owned by his brother, and sells all the hardware you might need. I thought we would be buying some laminate covered particle board, but apparently that is expensive. He planed and glued some Mexican pine. It didn't cost very much at all, but pine is too soft to use as a cutting surface. The store also sells good quality polycarbonate paneling, so we had a piece cut to be the work surface. If it gets scratched down the years, we can easily replace it. It wipes cleans easily, and there are no grout lines to attract ants and germs.

As for the banded hardwoods type butcher block, I have a feeling that this would turnout to be quite expensive. I am the wrong one to ask.

Thanks for the information, I will keep on looking and asking I do really want this peninsula covered with butcher block.  There are so many Mexican hardwoods and the top is only 67" x 60" so it can not be too expensive. 

Archived