Chapala.com Webboard

Groomer Referral Needed

• 2 weeks later...

I second Edger & Jenny a husband/wife team who come to your house. Although they weren't as experienced when we used them, they were very gentle and our dog loved them. We had some problems with Jose Luis, aka "Dirty Paws," who also comes to your house. He was always rushed and less than gentle. After he nicked our dog's face badly and a friend's dog at about the same time, we dropped him. I would stay away from Candy's Grooming too. They had been neglecting to trim our dog's nails and by the time Dr. Ladron caught it he had to clip them in stages to keep from getting into her nerves. :-( Candy's also failed to express her anal glands even though they said they that did that each visit. I also think that Candy might be gone. The phone number changed right before all of this happened (or didn't happen), and there were all new people there--no Candy. :-/

We are going to try the groomer at Dr. Ladron's office next. And, based on the rec's for Dr. Memo, we might give him a shot too. Oh, and we also had bad experiences at Furry Friends. They were great at first as long as the hubby (forgot his name) did the grooming. Then they added people who were just bad groomers. After two hack jobs when I specifically asked for was assured that ONLY the hubby would do the work, we dropped them too. :-/ This seems to be a common theme down here. Buena suerte.

we have had very good experience with Joel in west ajijic. He is a vet, but, enjoys grooming more. 766-3062. He has done our standard, westie, and mm for a couple of years.

I concur, that Candy appears to be no longer associated with Candy's grooming. They also raised the price twice in the last three months, once in January and then again in March, when my 11-year-old dog miraculously grew from a 'medium' to a 'large' size. I was okay with a small increase, but the woman there now (not Candy) wants to charge double what I was paying last fall ($300 instead of $150). So I am also looking for a new groomer.

These people who make grooming house calls, how do they handle baths? Because there is no tub in this house ... and trying to clean my dog with a garden hose is a chaotic disaster. (She goes nuts and attacks the water stream.)

We recently dropped José Luis as well after a few years of regular grooming, for the same reasons noted above (rushed, less than stellar cut, leaving cotton balls in dogs' ears, not writing appointments down so began showing up on wrong date) and so tried Joel for the first time last month. He did a lovely cut, but clipped one dog's nail to the quick which bled and bled and bled like a stuck pig. I actually raced the dog to the closest vet because I couldn't get the bleeding to stop (but it was 4:45 pm and both Joel and the vet were closed.) So, between pressure and Liquid Bandage (couldn't find the styptic powder...figures!) it finally stopped. I scrubbed up blood for an hour after.

I'll use Joel again but must admit I'm nervous about him and the nail clipping, but I will bring it up with him.

I stopped using Joel when he caused a sore the size of my thumbnail on my 6 lb. dog, on the tender skin of his belly, where there was no hair anyway.  Maybe a clipper burn?  It was scarlet and looked very sore. He didn't tell me what he had done and apologize, just handed him back when I came to pick him up without a word.  After that I used Jose Luis because I thought home grooming might be a good idea as I could monitor what went on.  I think he is a bit rushed sometimes and doesn't do a good job on the details, though.

I have used many of the groomers mentioned including Dirty paws who was to rushed and burned my standard Schnauzer and cut one of my minis ears.  I  have used Edgar and his wife for the past 2 years They now bring a nephew along to help out. My dogs love seeing them they are kind and very gentle with my older dogs and take the time to cuddle with the new dogs that are here from time to time getting their first grooming.

You would have to ask them if they have a portable tub for washing dogs I have a wash station here for them to use so I do not know how they handle other places.

Archived