Chapala.com Webboard

Periferico Sur & Ote & Norte

RickS

I've not taken this route from Ajijic.... just past the Airport, hang a right out towards El Salto on Periferico Sur and swing around to Periferico Ote crossing over Cuota 90D  and to Tonala. AND, then continue on that Periferico to swing around onto the Periferico Norte to the north side of Guadalajara.

Anyone done that? To Tonala? On past Tonala to N. Guadalajara?  Is that one "continuos" Periferico mas o mano?  

Check your maps. I do not believe that it is a full circle yet.....but it does appear to be the intention.  Our last experiences made shooting straight through Guadalajara the best route to the north side of the city.

9 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Check your maps. I do not believe that it is a full circle yet.....but it does appear to be the intention.  Our last experiences made shooting straight through Guadalajara the best route to the north side of the city.

How log ago was your last experience,..?

I have gone the opposite direction on that route recently. I came into the periferico oeste from Jocotepec on Lopez Mateos. Then took the periferico to the north and then the east, then past Tonala and came out by the airport. A few weeks earlier I got on the periferico just past the airport and took it east past Tonala to Per. oriente and to Parque Mirador near the zoo. I asked a cab driver there which was the best way to go back to Chapala and he said don't go through Guadalajara but take the periferico oriente. This is a great road with little traffic.

The periferico is sort of continuous all around Guadalajara except you make a small jog just north of the airport.

Just over a year ago I drove the entire circle just to see what it looked like. There was little by way of signage at that time making some of the interchanges that you must navigate hard to figure out, and even fewer places to get on and off the damned thing, but after getting on it just past the airport, it did indeed go "all the way around" to join up with the periferico.  I expect (or hope) there are more on and off ramps and A LOT more signage installed since then as the trip was quite long, making it hard to know where I was at any given time, and especially confusing in the odd spots where I had to decide to go left or right or stay the course. In the end, I just followed my intuition and the tire marks and other indicators of heaviest traffic flow and came out without getting lost.

Given the time needed to drive the lengthy bypass, going straight through GDL is still the best option time wise for going north. If you like the drive enough that time is not an issue and prefer to avoid traffic, by all means take the bypass. It was a nice drive.

Using the outer road to go to north Guadalajara to the zoo is faster and easier. Last June we drove that way to the zoo and was door to door from Ajijic in one hour. 

13 hours ago, Semalu said:

Just over a year ago I drove the entire circle just to see what it looked like. There was little by way of signage at that time making some of the interchanges that you must navigate hard to figure out, and even fewer places to get on and off the damned thing, but after getting on it just past the airport, it did indeed go "all the way around" to join up with the periferico.  I expect (or hope) there are more on and off ramps and A LOT more signage installed since then as the trip was quite long, making it hard to know where I was at any given time, and especially confusing in the odd spots where I had to decide to go left or right or stay the course. In the end, I just followed my intuition and the tire marks and other indicators of heaviest traffic flow and came out without getting lost.

Given the time needed to drive the lengthy bypass, going straight through GDL is still the best option time wise for going north. If you like the drive enough that time is not an issue and prefer to avoid traffic, by all means take the bypass. It was a nice drive.

The signage on the bypass for going north has been in place for quite a few years now.. There is no way that it's faster going through Guadalajara than taking the bypass to 80D

13 hours ago, kbleitch said:

Using the outer road to go to north Guadalajara to the zoo is faster and easier. Last June we drove that way to the zoo and was door to door from Ajijic in one hour. 

We did the same route to the zoo in late October.  Definitely faster.  One hour sounds about right although I don't remember timing it.

I suppose the first time anywhere always feels longer. There certainly were not any signs when I drove it and lots of unfinished bits so it is highly possible it has been a few years since I drove it, not a year.

Best way to find out for sure is to drive it yourself Rick. Regardless, it certainly went "all the way around" - even "way" back then. Since you are good at reporting the facts, if you decide to try it, maybe let all of us know?

On March 19, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Semalu said:

Best way to find out for sure is to drive it yourself Rick. Regardless, it certainly went "all the way around" - even "way" back then. Since you are good at reporting the facts, if you decide to try it, maybe let all of us know?

I did take that route to get to the north side of Guadalajara Friday. Left Ajijic a little before noon; took the turn-off just past the Airport. It 'doubles back' for a bit so it might appear that one has taken the wrong way.... but not!

Good road with very little signage or traffic. It's about 10 miles around/up to 90D (this road goes under). This is at the Tonala exit. The next 10 miles the road passes through 'the boonies' meaning not much development nor signage but easy to figure out that you just 'keep on going'. Not much traffic in that part either. After that 20 miles it 'joins' the established Norte libramiento and starts to have signal lights and more traffic (northern part of Guadalajara). I made it to the Zoo turnoff in 50 minutes from Ajijic. 

My intent was to leave out of northern Guad on highway 54, which I did, but I will suggest to you that when one gets to the 'street' that is 54, there is absolutely no signage as to that fact nor any signage for towns up that way.... better know the street name is my suggestion!

Thanks Rick, Good to know. Two more questions please, when you drove by the 90D did you notice if access has been built onto it yet, or do you still just drive under it wishfully thinking the budget had extended to access ramps? There is, or was, a way onto the highway through a complicated series of back roads, but the access ramp would make things a lot more useful. Also, can you confirm the 54 turn off is at the first traffic circle (glorietta) past the zoo, and do you need to exit off the main highway ahead of the circle to make the turn? The info may help anyone else planning on going that way in future. Thanks and safe travels.

".... when you drove by the 90D did you notice if access has been built onto it yet?...... Also, can you confirm the 54 turn off is at the first traffic circle (glorietta) past the zoo, and do you need to exit off the main highway ahead of the circle to make the turn? The info may help anyone else planning on going that way in future."

No, there is no access to 90D at all at that juncture. There does appear to be enough 'land' there to make a ramp but nada at the moment.  There was some signage about exiting for Tonala.

And, yes, Highway 54 does go north at that glorietta BUT as you suggest one must get off the periferico ahead of the circle as the periferico goes under it (the circle). Getting off was signed so one wouldn't miss it but it just didn't say anything about Hightway 54 being one of the reasons one might want to do so.

On Google maps, the chunk of highway from the end of Lazaro Cardenas that continues east to the junction of the 80D toll road and the 90 free road exit heading east at Zapotlenejo is labelled as 90D.  Therefore according to this, there are on/off ramps from the Periferico Sur onto/off of 90D.  Where there are no ramps is from the 80 free road onto/off of 15D.  You have to take a short drive to the east on 90D to get onto 15D east toward La Barca/Mexico City.

ednet94, I see what you are talking about so it appears that I missed seeing that ramp onto 90D... my focus was on going north I guess.  When I went back yesterday to look at Google Maps to make sure, I looked at the Street Scene from the Perifico and that shows no ramp has been built... it must have been an older Street Scene than from 90D above.

On 3/22/2016 at 0:35 AM, ednet94 said:

Actually there are ramps onto and from the 90d to/from this periferico. I took one of those ramps a few months ago. Even on Google Street view when looking from the 90d you can see those ramps.

That is correct.  We have used the ramps both ways in the last year.  When you are going north, the ramp from the new Periferico onto the 80D is very well marked and direct.  Returning you have to exit, head north a couple blocks and do a retorno to point you towards the airport.  That is the way it is marked too, to the airport.

Shortly all of this will be bypassed by the new outer ring road cuota.  When we flew in to GDL from Mexico (City) yesterday afternoon you could see the new road clearly and it is nearly finished between Zapotlanejo and Chapala Highway.  I'll wager it will open in the next 6 months and will be a much shorter, faster and smoother way to the 80D towards Lagos de Moreno.

Archived