Chapala.com Webboard

can one have both Telecable & Telmex

I have both just so I have a backup for internet access in case one of them goes down. Rarely happens that either one of them is out for any extended period of time now but I still do business in the U.S. over the internet. No problem at all having both.

I also have both so that I can switch between the two.

Please be aware that the different levels of service say "up to" so many mbps...I supposedly have the 5 mbps with Telmex for 599 pesos but I rarely get above 3 mbps.

Your location will make all the difference in how fast your service is and how reliable it is. If you live in SAT or Riberas then you'll be grinning ear to ear...if you live west of Ajijic, it gets iffy (and that's about as polite as I can say it).

Ahh Telecable did seem to be a  bad product but since it went down a couple of weeks ago when it came back it was much much responsive at least in Upper west Ajijic where I live.  

I have both. Telmex DSL Internet service (1.8 down, they just raised it from .8 hoo hoo) and Telecable (10 down but you share it with the neighborhood so it on sunday afternoon its slow).  Telmex is more steady and  a more consistant product but Telecable may be catching up as they have new backbone in Ajijic that may give faster speeds in future.  Getting 10 down from Telmex sometimes is hard as the farther away from DSL switch the slower your speed. As was said before they go up and down so I have both.  I didn't have to get cable TV  when I bought 10 down Internet from Telecable but now I think you must buy it or that's what was said on this board a few weeks ago.  Do both if you can afford it.  I put my VOIP phone (net talk, vontage, majic jack) and my streaming internet music service on my Telmex DSL line and use the Telecable for more high speed stuff like streaming HD baseball games or movies.

Archived