Chapala.com Webboard

Canadians taking Can cars out

Baxter71

Just found out the hard way, that anyone trying to get their car out of Mexico

because they want to go perm. and their car is Can. plated must have a Mex. drivers license

to get ins. to get us through the states, anyone been told anything diff.

this from 4 diff. ins. companies, today, your input would be of help. thanks

If your car is registered in Canada, why not buy your insurance from a Canadian company?  I have never heard of a requirement that you have any particular driver‘s licence in order to buy insurance.  When we drove either our US car, or our Jalisco car to the USA, our Mexican insurance agent was able to get us coverage for the trip.  Have you tried that option?

In British Columbia, we have gov. ins. we have to be there in person

to obtain ins. this Mex. lic. thing came from Tio Corp. but checking 

O and I next to Black Coffee, S and S, Parker, and Bellon, only Bellon

have said I can get ins. at the border, but when I came down 4 years ago

I used Sanborns in Nogales, but I phoned them about this trip 6 months ago

and they also said that they could not issue ins. for a Can. car

I.C.B.C. will renew your insurance over the phone, and courier the sticker to you in Mexico. You can also go through an Autoplan broker.

If you're outside B.C. and need to renew your insurance, please call:

ICBC Autoplan Sales

• 1-800-328-4484 (toll-free)

Hours: Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

This covers you in the U.S. and Canada. Get third party medical insurance for your time driving through the U.S. This is a necessity these days.

Lewis and Lewis will cover you in Mexico. They subcontract through Qualitas, one of the largest Mexican insurance companies. all their documents and legal commitments are in English, there are very few exclusions. I would get the under insured protection for Mexico

Thanks Sonia, that,s who insured me at the last chance saloon. 

Bellon ins. had said getting the Mex. lic. was not applicable to me as it,s only for Mexican drivers, so that was my last

hope. Chillin I was only needing 5days ins. as my car has to stay in Canada, and I leave on Sunday week,

so the time frame was important to me, and I doubt I.C.B.C. would courier done a temp. ins paper

in that time, but I will ask my agent up there if that could have been done, for other people who are going to run into this

problem, remember this just rule is just new, and it,s not the Gov. it,s the American ins. companies who are doing this

so thanks everyone for there input, but we in B.C. have a different setup from the rest of Canada

• 2 weeks later...

This response probably comes too late for you Baxter, just saw this post. When I had to remove my Canadian plated car a couple years ago, I just called ICBC and they insured me for something like 10 days to get the car back. They emailed me the policy, no need to have a sticker or anything else couriered.

Archived