Chapala.com Webboard

overstayed 10 years on mexican visa

anjani333

hello, i am writing on behalf of a friend who has overstayed their mexican visa. they are an american citizen. i would like to know if you could inform me on how much a fine like yhat would cost.

my friend has been somewhat stranded in this country because of severe health issues. they have renewed their passport recently. therefore there are no stamps on the passport. 

they have overstayed their turist visa by 10 years.

please inform me how much the fine will be , my friend has a family emergency and must fly back to the us A.S.A.P.  

thankyou sinserely anjani333

Fine will be low (maybe 250 pesos). Since so long ago there won't be record when they entered. Allow an extra hour at airport.

Kind of you to help.

saludos

Sonia

• Like 7

Seems like this is sort of like "losing" the return part of your tourist visa. We had a friend visiting last year - only about 10 days. So she had not overstayed her visa but did leave the return portion at our house when we took her to the airport. She simply went to the INM window and told them she had lost her documentation. They didn't ask any questions at all - simply filled out the return portion of a new FMM and handed it to her, Took less than 10 minutes. If I remember correctly the fee/fine was $306 pesos.

Depending on the airline you should probably go to the INM window before even trying to check in with the airline. Many of them will not process your check-in until you can give them the return portion of your visa.

Thanks for helping out your friend. This shouldn't be too complicated or expensive.

• Like 2

Ditto going to the Migration window and saying the visa was lost. You might get asked how long you stayed.  If you want no problems, you say "6 months".  You pay your pesos for a new visa and be on your way. Do it first thing, before standing in line at the airline because the airline will ask you to have a current visa.  Very common, happens all the time.  Once, when asked how long he had been in Mexico, a friend said "a year" (a 6 month overstay).  The man behind the window admonished him and said he should have obtained a new visa at 6 months then gave him a new visa.  That`s about as severe as it gets. I believe the official could have fined him, but I`m not sure.  He didn`t, thought, just asked him to  pay for a new visa.

Why so lax compared to the US who would put you in jail for a while?  I`m guessing it`s always a win situation for Mexico to have gringos here. They contribute a lot of money to the local economies so it`s not viewed a negative to have Americans here, but a positive so the visa thing is just not important.

• Like 1

Your friends might also want to give some thought  to coming up with a story about why they have no entry stamps in their passports and make sure that it is consistent with their story about why they no longer have the return portions of their visas. If they really are in poor health I would urge them to talk with Spencer rather than taking a risk, even a  small one, of putting themselves in a bad situation.

• Like 1

In 13 years of living in Mexico, with exits and entries over the life of two passports, I have never had an exit or entry stamp placed in my passport. In fact, we were in and out of Mexico just last week, and will be again soon, with no stamps in our passports.  Many decades ago, when I had multiple passports for various countries in parts of the world which did not like each other, stamps were frequently avoided beyond the many visas, “for convenience“. My only worry was reaching into the wrong pocket for the wrong passport at the wrong time.  I still like having a neat and clean passport.B)

RV, regards you no-stamp statement..... you must have driven into Mexico last week, no? Because if you flew in you would have had no choice getting a stamp coming in. And since you probably drove into the Frontera, you didn't need/get a Tourist Card which would have required it to be turned back in... along with the requisite Passport stamp... when you left. 

So ten years not thinking about visas, wake up with a headache and sore eyes - that was quite the party my friends!

"They" are talking now about requiring passports for domestic flights within the U.S.A. Also, toughening up I.R.S. laws to more easily confiscate passports. Feeding on fear and loathing, making it even more expensive to travel by air.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

RV, regards you no-stamp statement..... you must have driven into Mexico last week, no?

No, we walked in and walked out. Our car was parked on the US side, just a block from the dental clinic on the Mexican side in Nogales, Sonora.

On 3/11/2016 at 9:14 PM, Sonia said:

Fine will be low (maybe 250 pesos). Since so long ago there won't be record when they entered. Allow an extra hour at airport.

Wow!

25 pesos a year!

And here I've filling out forms,waiting in line at the INM and paying thousands of pesos  every year in order to comply with Mexican immigration laws...

On 3/11/2016 at 9:14 PM, Sonia said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbviajero said:

Wow!

25 pesos a year!

And here I've filling out forms,waiting in line at the INM and paying thousands of pesos  every year in order to comply with Mexican immigration laws...

Yeah - no point in actually following the laws of the country we have chosen to live in. Nothing wrong with being an illegal immigrant. Wait! What?

• Like 1

I agree, It's disappointing that many  just say go ahead and lie to the immigration authorities as if abusing the system is fine. Why should any country welcome anyone who feels this way. Also, I would guess that many of those who feel this way are the ones who complain the loudest about dishonest cops abusing the system and demanding bribes. Think about it. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2016 at 11:25 AM, RVGRINGO said:

Many decades ago, when I had multiple passports for various countries in parts of the world which did not like each other, stamps were frequently avoided beyond the many visas, “for convenience“. My only worry was reaching into the wrong pocket for the wrong passport at the wrong time.  I still like having a neat and clean passport.B)

Were they US passports,is it legal to carry multiple US passports?

Guest bennie2

illegal "criminals" do get put in detention in the US if they are arrested for a violent crime (drug related or armed invasion. under age minors untill they can get them to a settlement house). these people entered thru the border w/no papers. they dont stay in detention long. they are released. some get sent back to mex, but return. if they commit a really serious crime (like murder) they go to real jail & do time. (no mexican goes to jail just for "over staying"). the criminal people kind of bounce back & forth, some were deported 5 or more times. (untill something really bad happens). non criminal mexicans can not be arrested anymore for paperwork. that stopped years ago. only professionals get the H1 visa, when they are recruited to work for a tech comp. (mexicans, india, ect). then there are student visas. many 1000's overstay on both of these. thats why the US gov wants to grant most mexican people citizenship. if an elderly expat has health issues here & they over stayed, so what? he problerly would not be going back to US if the local medical was good. maybe he will die & wants to be back w/family. think of the $$$ he contributed to the economy. i see how americans seem to have double & triple standards. let that go because im not responding. lets park it right here. there are old expat folks in nursing homes here who dont have visas or even updated passports. one canadian lady didnt have a passport, she lost it. if anyone disputes this please dont start a discussion. we are not allowed to do that. i brought it up as one member stated facts which are no longer valid. google frank gaffey & even better yet jessica vaughn (center for immigration studies), & the border sheriffs websights. 

Guest bennie2

just to add; it is illegal in most US states to ask for papers even if a foreigner is stopped for a red light. drivers ID yes, anything else no. its considered a human rights violation. the mexican lobbies (like la raza, politicans, corps) make sure their people are protected. they did some checking & deporting in 2006 (or 08), but that time passed. i think the mex gov would be compasionate for older expats w/health issues. i expected the computer to have all the comings & goings of tourist visas/FM3s ect. they had computers @ airport 10yr back. maybe they dont save the info. strange fact. sonia's info surprised me. good luck!

Edited by bennie2
corrected

13 hours ago, cbviajero said:

Were they US passports,is it legal to carry multiple US passports?

They were. It was a time when certain Middle Eastern countries did not allow reciprocal travel, and when South Africa did not allow direct travel from certain other African countries, etc., etc. Having multiple passports could solve such problems if “uncle“ wanted them solved. When I look at them now, I am shocked at how young I once was......

• 4 years later...
Just now, Mmcd said:

I have been in Mexico for 3 years. But im from Ireland. I'm planning on flying out of Mexico soon.  Will I be detained at the airport? Will I be abke to just pay the fine? How much will it cost?

I would think your biggest difficulty is obtaining flights to Ireland and not having to self isolate some place in between or being refused boarding.. You do not stay your have overstayed your visa , is that also an issue???

I/we are assuming that you have been in Mexico on a 180-day Tourist card but decided to stay for 3 years. If this is the case you will need to go first to Immigrations at the airport, pay for a new tourist card... currently about 500 pesos I think... and then turn that Tourist card into the airlines that you are flying. There is no fee/fine as far as I know.... just the cost to replace.

The discussions above are still accurate... only the cost of the Tourist card has increased.

I thought they're is a fine for overstaying here in Mexico. Yes I am on a 180 day tourist visa that expired a couple years ago. I am going to japan for work. I already have tje work visa for japan. I'm just scared to get detained in Mexico immigration. 

Edited by Mmcd
Addition