Chapala.com Webboard

Fraud at Bancomer

Taaffe

I called Maria Elena (sub-directora of Bancomer in Ajijic) to find out the status of my request for the name and account number of the person to whom my 22,700 pesos went.  She told me that they had answered that since I had made the transfer via bancomer movil (which they know I didn´t have) they don´t have to tell me who has my money.  She sent me their answer via email and it is illegible.  

When I asked her if it didn´t make her nervous that 1000 pesos from another client was transfered to her account, she said that she was and had notified the person involved and immediately returned the money.  It makes me think that someone is trying to set her up for these series of fraud, obviously someone in the bank since they have her information.

I have yet to hear from CONDUSEF about the date of the meeting with bancomer.  I will continue to persue the name of the account holder who has my money and the return of my money.  I start to believe that it is deliberate cover-up by bancomer and it will be interesting who it turns out to be.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Taafe, for reporting all of this. I have been wary of Mexican bank accounts (and credit cards, and other financial instruments) all along, but only recently, due to posts like this, have I come to understand exactly how terrible the situation can be. I have moved from 'maybe I'll get a Mexican bank account someday, if it's really necessary' to 'if it requires a Mexican bank account, screw it, I'll do without'.

It would be nice if the loss of millions of pesos of deposits from wary expats would hurt them enough to crack down on internal fraud. Not going to hold my breath, though.

Best of luck in your quest for restitution.

On 4/9/2016 at 8:09 PM, Taaffe said:

I called Maria Elena (sub-directora of Bancomer in Ajijic) to find out the status of my request for the name and account number of the person to whom my 22,700 pesos went.  She told me that they had answered that since I had made the transfer via bancomer movil (which they know I didn´t have) they don´t have to tell me who has my money.  She sent me their answer via email and it is illegible.  

When I asked her if it didn´t make her nervous that 1000 pesos from another client was transfered to her account, she said that she was and had notified the person involved and immediately returned the money.  It makes me think that someone is trying to set her up for these series of fraud, obviously someone in the bank since they have her information.

I have yet to hear from CONDUSEF about the date of the meeting with bancomer.  I will continue to persue the name of the account holder who has my money and the return of my money.  I start to believe that it is deliberate cover-up by bancomer and it will be interesting who it turns out to be.

Think these postings are just the tip of the iceberg...maybe a chat with the Guadalajara Reporter Editor Michael Forbes and local reporter Dale Palfrey and article,  would help bring some positive resolution  to the horrible experiences.

Great suggestion, lakeside7.   I agree that these postings are just the tip of the iceberg.   I hope this comes to pass although I somehow doubt the Guadalajara Reporter would want to report such fraud.   I think about the many people who never read this web board and who have no idea how unsafe their money is.   I've also heard that insurance is available and that the account holder must pay for it; more incredulous is that the insurance company is owned by Bancomer!!!   Fat chance of ever collecting on your claim!  

22 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Think these postings are just the tip of the iceberg...maybe a chat with the Guadalajara Reporter Editor Michael Forbes and local reporter Dale Palfrey and article,  would help bring some positive resolution  to the horrible experiences.

The Guadalajara Reporter is not an investigative paper.  Even if they do an article they will not pursue asking hard questions and pushing for answers.  It will be a fluff piece that keeps to the status quo.  I remember the piece they did on the severe over-charging by CFE a couple of years ago.  They printed whatever the boss at CFE told them and that was the end of their investigation.  A lot of poop.

I'm not sure "fluff" is an accurate adjective here. As you correctly point out, they are not an investigative newspaper: they cannot afford to be financially, for one thing. And they cannot afford to be intellectually, because they all have to live here, too. Same reasons you won't see lousy reviews of the Little Theatre or local restaurants in the Reporter or the Ojo. Can you imagine the enemies they'd make, with literally no protection buffer? They report the facts as they are able. It still takes a helluva lot of work and a commanding knowledge of Spanish to get a lot of this news from uncooperative local government and "cover my butt" police.

That being said, over the years I've been here they have presented a whole lot of useful information that most of us would never have found out about, including any number of items that were uncomfortable to the local powers that be. Keep in mind, up north in Mexico a whole lotta reporters have been killed for reporting the dirt on both government and cartel activity.

• 3 weeks later...

Today, May 2, 2016 (67 days from the date of my complaint) I got my money back from Bancomer. When the other couple, who posted on this board, got their money back within the week, I contacted the bank manager in Ajijic and asked her why my money wasn´t returned. I had gone to CONDUSEF at the end of March when my claim was denied by Bancomer, and had an appointment towards the end of June to meet with them and a rep from Bancomer.

She did call the manager in Guadalajara and, sure enough, he came to Ajijic and asked me to come in to talk to him.  He said ¨Hicimos un error¨or "We made a mistake", and I agreed.  A lot of people had withdrawn their money from the Ajijic branch after the cavalier way I was treated.  It took another week, and now I have my money back.  I suggested to the director that the Guadalajara branch should write a letter explaining what has happened and to reassure the local community that their money is safe. 

I do believe that this board and the people that I know have made the difference; that and the official complaint with CONDUSEF where they would have to show evidence of who and where my money went.

I'm impressed that your hard work finally won out. That, and support provided by the cancellation of accounts from those who know your story. However, regarding your recommendation that a letter reassuring "the local community that their money is safe" be written: I think not, since apparently the only reason they acquiesced was out of fear of losing more customers. By tomorrow, it will be the ol' status quo again.

Bancomer is on my hit-list today. I was at the Chapala office to speak to an agent about this whole fraud deal the original poster was dealt with and they were passing me over for Mexicans. I waited almost an hour and when I checked the list, they had called others' names before me, to see the same person. NOT a happy camper. 
I told the agent. He said he'll talk to the lady who calls out the names. I told him that it's the second time this happens. I won't say exactly what I did at the bank thereafter but I can tell you I proceeded in protest pertaining to this fraud. I did private message Taaffe. 

Oh, and if you're an expat, they automatically set you up to speak to an agent who is bilingual. Hmmmmm I listened to this bilingual agent and responded at least 90% in Spanish. I think they still have some learning to do. They could ask if you prefer an agent who speaks English instead of presuming you need one. 

10 hours ago, eagles100 said:

Taaffe, did you or will you find out to whom your money went to?

A Mexican lawyer told me our money isn't safe in ANY Mexican bank. 

Where does the Mexican lawyer keep his/her money,under the mattress?

14 hours ago, eagles100 said:

Taaffe, did you or will you find out to whom your money went to?

A Mexican lawyer told me our money isn't safe in ANY Mexican bank. 

I guess that sort of statement comes under the general comments.."Be careful leave your jewels NOB, there are more robberies and B&E in Mexico"

Thanks to everyone who has followed my ordeal.  It was rough, but perserverance (and the threat of Condusef´s investigation, etc.) worked in the long run.  I think that they will think twice if your money is missing, they now know we will fight.  I feel sorry for those who are not in a position to fight and who lack the skills and who take no for an answer.

Lots of local neighbors have lost their savings in banks; not only Bancomer.

59 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

Thanks to everyone who has followed my ordeal.  It was rough, but perserverance (and the threat of Condusef´s investigation, etc.) worked in the long run.  I think that they will think twice if your money is missing, they now know we will fight.  I feel sorry for those who are not in a position to fight and who lack the skills and who take no for an answer.

Lots of local neighbors have lost their savings in banks; not only Bancomer.

The statements you are making sounds like the Mexico Banking system is rotten to the core

This is a difficult story to live, but one bad apple does not make all of Bancomer bad. I have been banking with them over 20 years including former Banco Promex that they took over, never had an issue except twice a double charge in some GDL restaurant, the matter was solved immediately. My experience has been good with Bancomer and I continue banking with them. The staff is friendly and customer service excellent, sorry to learn that many on this topic seem to have such bad experiences.

17 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

The statements you are making sounds like the Mexico Banking system is rotten to the core

I have never  heard of any family or friends or friends of friends etc. losing a nickel in any bank in Mexico for over 35 years that was the banks fault.

Archived