Chapala.com Webboard

Edit Function

mod-3

Guest bennie2

kind of a bit off topic: do the mods know what the benefits are for the newer format? were they told why chapala.com wanted the so called "up grade"? just curious. i may have missed something. 

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You probably have extra rights that a regular user doesn't, if you are getting that. Right-clicking on EDIT only brings up the standard Windows menu for me.

1 hour ago, bennie2 said:

kind of a bi off topic: do the mods know what the benefits are for the newer format? were they told why chapala.com wanted the so called "up grade"? just curious. i may have missed something. 

1. I tried the work around for the edit function with my member sine in and it worked fine. The mouse cursor must be exactly over the word edit when you right click. And yes, it does pull up windows command and edit is the first command. You are way better at this than I am but I thought I'd pass this along in hopes it might help.

2. I guess they were just trying to provide us with a more up to date platform.    

" 2. I guess they were just trying to provide us with a more up to date platform. "

The "I guess" portion of that sentence, from a Moderator, speaks volumes as to how this Board is run......

The owners are more interested in the real estate functions of the website, and are not very interested in the board. They admit to having no real knowledge of how it all works; which is probably why it doesn‘t.  I think that they have finally figured that out and may be looking into a more efficient and responsive provider. So, we need more patience to see what transpires next. I hope it is a major improvement, as this board has been active for many years, but has been failing in the last few. 

A friend of mine owns a board (Cairn Talk) with this same software. This is how he handled the update with an announcement to the community. There were some problems but no complaints. His new board is much nicer than the old version. Maybe Chapala could learn from his example.

http://www.cairntalk.net/topic/15827-major-update-pending/

On 2016-03-09 at 4:26 PM, mod-3 said:

1. I tried the work around for the edit function with my member sine in and it worked fine. The mouse cursor must be exactly over the word edit when you right click. And yes, it does pull up windows command and edit is the first command. You are way better at this than I am but I thought I'd pass this along in hopes it might help.   

Hmmm... I tried it in Firefox and Internet Explorer (site takes too long to open in Edge, interestingly), and while I get different menus because of the difference in browsers, neither showed an "edit" function. I'm guess there is a cookie on your system that activated that function after your Mod sign-in put it there.

Has anyone else been able to recreate this Edit function using Mod-3's method?

The edit doesn't work for me in Firefox on windows 10 OS using the suggested work around.  However I did try out the options drop down menu, only one menu option is available - delete. I tried it on an older post and it worked, or seemed to. I still have to see if it comes back to haunt like some other posts I delete that came back with the new and improved website.

So, If you really hate what you wrote maybe a work around is delete the post you hate then start over. A bit of a pain, I know....

I would love going back to the old format. Using that format we had 100 to 200 posts per day. Things are so difficult here, I'm afraid to count because the number must be quite a bit lower.

If you read my pinned post at the top of this forum you will see that the owners of this board are trying to move everything to a new provider. If you recall, the old board had many issues, such as down time, as well. Lets wait and see.

Archived