Chapala.com Webboard

Internet in Ajijic

I know this topic exists but comments are old. I am moving to Ajijic Village in 2 weeks and am trying to decide between Telecable and Telmex. I don't care about TV as I have a streaming box,  but to use it and my Vonage, I need good Internet speed. Telmex said that the don't provide more than 2-3 Gbts. Telecable promises 15. Do you know they charge more than in GDL?

What do you recommend? 

Don‘t believe any of those promises. Telmex is more reliable than Telecable, which is faster but often down.  In either case, it depends entirely upon where you live, the infrastructure available, if any, and the condition of the wiring in your home. So, it is best to ask your immediate neighbors about their service.  We used Telmex DSL and Telecable basico for TV only, in Chapala Centro, with excellent service once we got the Telmex guys to chase doen poor connections for the 3 blocks from our home to their Chapala station.

TelMex is actually (honestly) in the process of upgrading service here at Lakeside. I don't know far it stretches, but I can tell you this: with the implementation of VDSL (replacing ADSL) where possible, many neighbourhoods are getting faster speeds. For example, I tested today in Villa Lucerna (west of La Huerta) and without any modifications or tweaks, the incoming speed was 5mbps. In Los Olivos (beside Riviera Alta) speeds a couple of weeks ago were 8 and 9mbps. In Riberas, I am getting 20. Most of these upgrades are software improvements to existing equipment.

If anyone would like to test their speed and report back here, go to speedtest.net and run it.

So, if Villa Lucerna can get that level, then folks in La Huerta should expect an improvement soon. (@Ferret)

My Telecable has been out more than 90% of the time the past 15 months, they dont repair.

Just now, Intercasa said:

My Telecable has been out more than 90% of the time the past 15 months, they dont repair.

....which is why, after enough of that type of experience, I switched to Telmex.  At least they don't abandon ship on Friday and not even answer the phone until Monday. The Telmex service isn't perfect, but it's better.

Archived