Chapala.com Webboard

How far does $2,300/ mo. stretch these days?

joanne

Living lakeside on $2300/month is a doddle. As has been suggested here, it is possible to do it on far less. One point missing thus far, however, is that your happiness here will be increased by a willingness to learn spanish. Spanish is not necessary here, but the farther from Ajijic you roam the more likely it will be that you will wish you had at least the basics. For me, learning spanish is one of the many joys of living here. On occasion, you will find the willingness of locals to assist you in any given situation is proportional to your willingness to attempt to address them in their own language. However broken, it is the effort that counts. There is a certain thrill to be had in completing a negotiation in spanish for the first time.

It's something to consider. Good luck!

"Doddle", from the 17th century German word "dudeltopf", currently meaning "piece of cake".   Love it! 

Many English speakers here have only a cursory understanding of Spanish. With one`s feet barely immersed at the water`s edge, one can barely feel wet.  One cannot feel the wonderful, full embrace of the water around one`s body. So, when one does not really know what the people around you are saying, does one not comprehend the full rich culture of the country one lives in. You can maintain a small transported bubble of air around you and breathe shallowly from it. But you will never truly live in Mexico, a rich deep culture several thousand years old, still vibrant. And you will never understand the people living around you, their words always a babble. You will forever remain a stranger.  But then, for some, life is a television set and a housekeeper who comes to clean once a week.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the exchange rate factor. Right now you can receive an extraordinary number of pesos for your U.S. or Canadian dollar, but who knows how long it will last. My parents moved to Puerto Vallarta in the early 1990's. By the early 2,000's, the financial climate had changed quite significantly. Even if your pensions or investments can keep up with inflation, cost of living, Mexican economics is so volatile that you are not protected here.

6 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned the exchange rate factor. Right now you can receive an extraordinary number of pesos for your U.S. or Canadian dollar, but who knows how long it will last. My parents moved to Puerto Vallarta in the early 1990's. By the early 2,000's, the financial climate had changed quite significantly. Even if your pensions or investments can keep up with inflation, cost of living, Mexican economics is so volatile that you are not protected here.

6 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

When we moved here, the exchange rate was not in our favor.  No big deal; we expected that and allowed for it in our budget.  Now it's very much the other way. We didn't return to the U.S. after ten years in Mexico until 2 years ago for a family funeral.  We were absolutely stunned at the increase in cost of everything: a simple meal, for instance.  Inflation "sneaks" up on us, everywhere.

From reading all the previous posts, I've concluded that there is a huge difference of opinions about what constitutes a nice lifestyle and what "wants" and "needs" are.

I think the OP has some useful information from a variety of residents.  Hope our input helps him.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, gringal said:

$2300 is plenty for a single person to live comfortably in this area. There are many places available to rent in the $600 range, especially in Chapala and the other lakeside villages. Ajijic can be more pricey, but not prohibitive.  Can he rent a hacienda style place in the Racquet Club or similar areas?  Probably not, but that's not what we're talking about.

The scary comments about IMSS and SP are just that.  I know a number of people who have been happy with their treatment and are alive to tell the tale. Not only that, a healthy person can comfortably pay out of pocket for their doctor visits and drugs since medical care is inexpensive here, relative to the U.S.  I would advise signing up with some kind of health insurance coverage "just in case" of something serious happening.

Even (gasp) lawyers are not unaffordable if you need one.

The one hurdle we haven't gone into is whether our OP has the financial resources to qualify for permanent residency. This is something he needs to discuss with the consulate (or a lawyer).

raquet club is REMOTE.

After you live there you will find out how distant it is from everything, everyplace

6 hours ago, garmemorial said:

raquet club is REMOTE.

After you live there you will find out how distant it is from everything, everyplace

Well, sure it is.  My point was about what level of luxury a person might hope for and we do know that Racquet club living isn't for poor folks.  We looked there when we were house hunting years ago and decided it was too far from everything.  To some, that in itself is an attraction.  As in all things....different strokes.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:38 PM, gringal said:

Well, sure it is.  My point was about what level of luxury a person might hope for and we do know that Racquet club living isn't for poor folks.  We looked there when we were house hunting years ago and decided it was too far from everything.  To some, that in itself is an attraction.  As in all things....different strokes.

A lot friendlier places to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to point out that there are very nice places to live in Chapala at incredible prices for rent. It doesn't happen every day but a new house behind me just rented for 5000 pesos a month (about $294.11 U.S.). It has two bedrooms and two full bathrooms in the main house, a car port, a walled in back yard with a one bedroom casita with a fukll bathroom in back. There is an outdoor cooking place under a roof for sun protection. I looked at it for a relative who is moving here but the place was rented to another gringo within a day of my checking it out. The same Mexican landlord (and friend of one of my friends) is just completing another big apartment--all new--right down the street from me and will be renting it for the same price. Unfortunately it is on a second floor which means a walk up quite a few steps. 

My point isn't to rent houses--I own my own home--but to inform others that there are real bargains available from good Mexican landlords who do not advertise but use "word of mouth" to rent homes. I rented the first year that I moved here and the nice gringa landlady who lives in the U.S. charged a lot more. I guess gringos expect more because we have a different financial mind set. Not all landlords are good--Mexican or gringo--but if you are willing to look and make friends in the Mexican community you will find a whole different rental price for houses and apartments at least in Chapala.

One more thing. When I bought my house in Chapala I was one of the few non-Mexicans living in my neighborhood. Now many of my neighbors are non-Mexicans. More and more foreigners are buying and rehabilitating homes or are renting the houses near me. Some folks have a negative view of living in Chapala but I think it is because they have never lived here. Having lived in Ajijic with its hills and narrow streets I personally prefer where I live now. It's convenient to buses, shopping (Mexican products are good and often cost much less than "imported" foods in fancier made for gringos stores), and the lake with a beautiful and large malecon hopping with folks and music until 10 pm or later. Just my thoughts for "joanne". Don't tie yourself down to a big rent when you can find wonderful rentals for a lot less--I'm sure it's true of Ajijic, too.

Well said. Your experience is similar to ours. We bought in Ajijic in 2001 and sold in the fall of 2004, in favor of a larger property in Chapala Centro, which needed lots of TLC. We hired a crew and had fun in the process of making the property our own.  We stayed there for the next ten years and loved it.  Only my failing lungs forced us to move to a lower elevation with a VA Hospital, or we would still be there.  We miss Chapala a lot.

Archived