Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy aged steaks Lakeside?

holdrja

It's my husband's birthday this weekend and he wants to grill some steaks (also grill some asparagus, make a nice creamy feta sauce for the steaks, make Greek dolmadakias from scratch, and a few other culinary delights...).

Can anyone suggest a place Lakeside where we can buy some nice aged steaks?  

Most will say Costco, some will say Tony's. These will be, should be, U.S.D.A. graded, and will be aged at least 14 days in the cryovac packaging. It doesn't matter how many days in the cryovac - 14 days is max. The same as Mexican arrachera, 14 days max. This is called wet aging. There is no one offering dry aging locally, although I have a local butcher interested.

The birthday cut of beef I would most covet would be a very meaty, dry aged beef rib - just one, mind you. There is something primal about waving a prime bone about, tearing off chunks with your teeth. Sort of like a Medieval King hosting a feast at his court!

I realize this is a little late but better late than never. I have "dry aged" standing roasts and steaks very well uncovered in the fridge. If necessary, you cut off the dried bits (they add intense flavor for stock), and the result was pretty darned good. Google the method, there is lots of "how to" info and it is super easy to do. Pre-planning in advance of when you want to eat it is the hardest part.

Search: dry aging meat in the refrigerator.

Archived